Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 02:42

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: How To: Play As Reaper
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016 00:50 

Now that Overwatch has been out for a little more than a week, I feel like I should write MY small guide on how to use Reaper. Being my main, I feel like I've grown accustomed to his abilities, his strengths, and his weaknesses.

- What kind of character is Reaper and where does he fit in?

Reaper is classified as an offensive character and a strong one at that. His twin Hellfire shotguns make short work of those stupid enough to get close to him but are horrendous when tackling medium to long range targets, thus making him useful in close quarters areas like corridors, hallways, etc. A couple of other drawbacks of his twin shotguns is that since they are shotguns, the spread pattern goes all over the place the further his target is and he can fire a total of 8 shells (4 per shotgun) and then he has to reload. There were times when I was stuck having to reload during a fight and had to do all sorts of dodging and jumping to stay alive. So make sure you pick your fights in tight areas and have your aim ready!

Reaper's passive trait is called The Reaping. What happens is that whenever Reaper or his teammates kill an enemy that he's tagged, those enemies drop a red orb (or soul) that heals Reaper for 50 health per orb. This makes Reaper not have to rely on a healer as much as other heroes and is great for him as a flanker.

Reaper's first ability is called Wraith Form. This ability basically turns him into a wraith, thus letting him pass by without taking any damage whatsoever but he cannot attack while he is in this form. This is especially great as an escape maneuver or a dodge maneuver since Reaper is pretty squishy with only 200 health. Not only that but his movement speed isn't the greatest so Wraith Form is a must use every single time you see a chance to use it. The biggest drawback of this skill is the 8 second cooldown and it only takes 1/8 of that time to kill you since you are so squishy.

His second ability is called Shadow Step. Basically, you select a spot you want to teleport to and poof! he's there. Shadow Step is the ultimate flanking skill and if you're really good at avoiding the enemy, this ability is for you. The drawbacks for this skill is that they can see where you are marking your destination spot so they'll rip you to shreds even before you take your first step after teleporting. Another drawback is that you have to stay completely still and aim for your destination, which sucks, but does make sense. Finally, the cooldown is pretty horrible at 10 seconds.

Finally, his ultimate skill is called Death Blossom. Reaper spins around shooting everything in his path around in him a limited radius. This ultimate is great for clearing clustered groups that would be on the capture points and those holding down the payload. It is, by far (to me), the best looking ultimate in the game of any character's and is my favorite to watch. The only drawback that this skill has, to me, is that it makes Reaper vulnerable while he is performing this so plan out your route and strike from a rear flank or from above.

What my thoughts are on Reaper and what I think he is weak against:

Reaper is my main for a few reasons. First off, I'm best at close quarters battles in first person shooters and Reaper's Hellfire shotguns make me a dangerous player due to the insane damage output. Just like in CSGO, I prefer to flank and catch the enemy off-guard when I can and then clean up the remainders. Finally, Reaper is mostly a solo worker; due to his outstanding ability to flank the enemy, he has to work alone and cannot have anyone following him or else he sticks out like a sore thumb. In team fights, Reaper is a wrecking ball. While your teammates are busy duking it out against the enemy, you can use Reaper to slip behind them unnoticed and clean up the stragglers, should there be any and healers. And if he has to engage face to face, his shotguns are very effective against almost all types of enemies and I usually go after supports first and then if I have to, the tanks.

I am most vulnerable when I am confronted against the likes of Hanzo & Widowmaker due to their sniping abilities. My counter to this is to have my team cause enough of a distraction that throw my attention off of the snipers long enough that I can flank them and go for the kill.

Soldier 76 is also a threat to me at times because of his rifle's range at medium range engagements. However, going against Soldier 76 is an easier task than going against a player that knows how to use Hanzo and Widowmaker well because I can use Wraith Form to close the gap and then unleash my attacks with my twin shotguns.

Mei is not too bad to go against since her range is also short but if you don't kill her quickly, she'll gain the upper hand and will kill you with her frozen + ice shard shot combo. If at first you don't succeed in killing Mei, back off and engage her after you've healed. Make sure your aim is with you or else she's gonna wipe the floor with ya again and again.

Pharah is basically Reaper's nightmare. She has everything that Reaper cannot go up against. First, Pharah's rockets are immensely powerful and they have godly range on them. Couple those with her ability to stay in the air for a while (out of Reaper's effective range) and you have a piddly Reaper just staring into the sky with a rocket heading straight for his face. Be extra cautious of Pharah when playing as Reaper.

Junkrat isn't too much of a pain to engage but be extra cautious for traps. If Junkrat knows that he's trapped you, his grenade launcher and concussion mine will make short work of you due to your low health amount. Use Wraith Form to dodge and then try to zigzag to dodge the remaining onslaught until you get close enough to kick his ass.

Most tanks I can handle due to their sheer size; making them an easy target for all my pellets to hit them. D.Va can be annoying to take on due to her Defense Matrix, Winston is annoying due to his portable shield, Reinhardt with his giant rectangular shield, and Roadhog because of his hook+LMB combo that destroys in 1 shot. They can be taken down easily with Reaper with some footwork and Wraith Form timing. You can get past Reinhardt's shield by pushing through it and popping off shots into him. D.Va is vulnerable in the back so try to outmaneuver your opponent to strike the back side, Winston is easy if you get him away from the portable shield with some fancy footwork + Wraith Form, and Roadhog is the easiest of them all BUT you have to time the Wraith Form just right so that the hook passes through you and you can maneuver around him to pop off shots.

McCree is a bitch to deal with since his flashbang + RMB is the deadliest combo in the game (good thing Blizzard is nerfing it) BUT if you time the Wraith Form right and maneuver around a bit so that you dodge the Fanning the Hammer move, then he's vulnerable and can be killed pretty quickly.

Healers are what Reaper eats for breakfast and they are easy to chomp down on. The one healer that might give you issues is Lucio due to his insane speed. But, with a little practice and a good eye, he can be taken out with ease. Mercy is..........too easy. Zenyatta may prove to be problematic since he can weaken you and his damage level as a healer is pretty high. So don't get too cocky when going against Zenyatta. Close in on him and when his Orb of Discord hits you, zigzag around while closing the gap.

Tracer is another nightmare for Reaper. Tracer is the speed demon of Overwatch and it is very hard for Reaper to get a lock on her. My advice to you is to stay away from Tracer in a solo fight and let your snipers and other offensive teammates take care of her because Reaper does not stand a chance against Tracer.

Bastion is a little bitch and Reaper is just the character to slap him (assuming you can successfully flank his ass.) If you've gotten Reaper's play style down and know how to flank on the maps then Bastion isn't a danger.

Torbjorn is an annoying little dwarf that can take down Reaper because well.....Torbjorn fights like a bitch. Torb's annoying little turret can put the hurt on Reaper and Reaper can't do much about it since it has auto-locking. Have a sniper, Genji, or Pharah to take it out. Don't do it with Reaper!

Zarya possesses a certain level of danger to Reaper because of her shielding ability. To fight against her, do NOT shoot at her shield constantly. It only gives her more power and that'll help her kick your ass so attack once the shield is down. She also has the ability to shield her teammates but those shields are protection only and don't make her teammates gain damage every time the shield takes damage. Just dodge and use Wraith Form to wear the shield down and then attack.

Finally, Symmetra is annoying as fuck. She's another one of those scaredy cat heroes that have to hide behind sentries to get kills. Don't try to go after Symmetra because usually she'll lead you into some room filled with sentries. Have Pharah or Junkrat take out the sentries first and then beat the living snot out of her.

So to conclude, I USED to play Reaper like any beginner would; go out guns blazing and try to get kills. As time went on, I watched a couple of videos showing how Reaper SHOULD be played and ever since, I've done so much better with him. I'm not a pro with Reaper but I have learned a lot over time. Flanking is what Reaper is great at so take the time to study the map, know your routes, keep in mind where healing packs are for emergencies, and do NOT fight the enemy during your flanking process. If you engage in a 1 versus 1 situation while flanking, you're basically telling the enemy team that you're there and then you're fucked. Avoid fights unless absolutely necessary, relay everything you see with the enemy to your team, and when the chance shows up, strike your opponents down as quickly as possible. Do NOT engage in medium to long range fights with the likes of Hanzo, Widowmaker, etc. Save your Death Blossom for when you see a cluster of enemies and use it to soften them down. Reaper is one of the more under-utilized heroes but I'm seeing him pop up a bit more than usual. A player that knows how to play Reaper can change the tables on his/her enemy team.

And now, enjoy this shoddy, incomplete montage of my best Death Blossom moments:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016 17:45 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMMJ3_JUJlE[/youtube]

this helps too

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2016 22:34 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
I recommend you post this to the subreddit for overwatch if you are happy with it!

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016 14:44 

Thanks for the tip Travis! Not sure if it's good enough to be on reddit since I still need more training with Reaper as it is. I only know the basics so far and I need to come up with some advanced tactics for him. Once I get those advanced tactics down then I'll definitely post this on reddit.