Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024 23:29

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014 17:32 

Jabberwock strikes genius again

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014 18:25 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
IMHO:

This is a great idea, but at $2.00 per name tag, the money could be used to advertise much more efficiently and reach a much larger audience. For example, advertising on Reddit is very cheap. I'm sure with a little bit of reach, there are many Youtubers that would love to get a little extra money to mention the asylum and the website.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014 18:40 

Quote:
IMHO:

This is a great idea, but at $2.00 per name tag, the money could be used to advertise much more efficiently and reach a much larger audience. For example, advertising on Reddit is very cheap. I'm sure with a little bit of reach, there are many Youtubers that would love to get a little extra money to mention the asylum and the website.
Disagree. It's $2.00, less than a key. I'd have no problem shelling out for 10 of them - especially when I'm destroying people in MM or alt pug.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 10:35 

Quote:
Quote:
IMHO:

Disagree. It's $2.00, less than a key. I'd have no problem shelling out for 10 of them - especially when I'm destroying people in MM or alt pug.
Agree. I wouldn't mind naming my guns with something that has to do with this clan. Have some that mention the server, the website, and maybe something catchy to do with the clan. Hell you could even have AM: someawesomemottohere to let people know what we stand for. Though there is the char limit =/ To be honest I feel like more people(at this current time) would see the website/servers/etc if it was put on a gun. Especially if multiple people have them placed on several weapons.

Advertising on reddit seems to usually get downvoted if people simply don't like it. Unless you mean actual ads, though the GO sub doesn't even really advertise others, so what makes ours special? Damn don't know how else to say it. What makes us get priority if we were to advertise on some cs sub? I am just being brutally honest. Our server quality is amazing though our website looks a bit dated. Its simple, neat, yes. Although it looks like its from the early 2000's. Not really a bad thing depending on our goals. I personally wasn't turned away from the website because I was looking for a competitive group of people to play cs with. To learn from. To have a damn good time. Plus to find the info for mumble/joining/server info etc. I wasn't looking for much else, plus I was used to websites like these.

IIRC it has been stated some people might want to start our own mini leagues etc if possible. That would be freakin awesome! If we are ever going to advertise for those sort of concepts the website needs some revamping. We have pretty much the default phpbb style(didn't look to see if any other were installed) and we can do a lot better as a whole.

As for youtubers who could we possibly get to advertise for us? Just thinking off the top of my head there are a few who sometimes post on the GO sub, though would they be willing to advertise for us? What do THEY get out of it? I mean I guess they could link to our website/servers in the description. Don't know what else they could do. Making a pure video about us seems a little "forced". Dunno. Actually, shit, I have an idea for this... kind of. Once we actually can all agree on the goals for this and the future... maybe get someone to interview amaroq/serial about the clan. What we are about and so forth. If we have some sort of league going, cool in house activities they can be talked about the spark interest. Talk about how our servers are great quality/why its hard to find good servers now a days.... lots to talk about. Make it professional and about the community. BAM. That could maybe work in some way. Otherwise for youtube I don't know how else to advertise, besides streaming/putting videos on our channel.

OK this is a bit off topic and I need to get ready for class. I don't think I explained this very well like usual, if anyone has any questions/wants to chat, lemme know. I used to be on staff for a website/forum(several thousand active members) that had to do with hacking the ps2/psp/ps3 and gaming. Our main priority was original content(how we drew in the majority of our members - most releases were better or you couldn't find elsewhere) and we had a decent website design as well. There is much more demand for what we are/could be doing than that site was. I think there could be a time in the future were our severs are funded with much help from our community. That all of our severs are always filled. That we are the standard for a good dm server(oh lord!). Maybe I am just aiming high again. I hope no one takes any of this the wrong way or if this is even what we want to do. So if my net ever decides its good enough for mumble Ill try and stop by.

Really right now advertising on name tags might be the best option. It is relatively cheap when split across several members. Many people will probably see it, if you play a lot people on dm/pugs/our servers/scrims etc. People WILL see it. Maybe in the future(see above, kinda) there might be other methods. Right now I think we should decide what we want to get out of this and what our goals are. Maybe I am just over thinking this, dunno.

P.S. I'll clean this up later if I find the time.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 10:44 

DM won't help because you need to be spectate doe pick up the gun, neither of which happen

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 11:38 

I post our servers a lot on reddit whenever it's relevant and it's usually well received, but I think name tags would be more effective.

How does our website look dated? Are you talking about the forum itself? Because the rest of the website looks amazing.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 11:44 

I'm guessing just the forum. I'm not an expert on website building but I think it could look more stylish

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 12:00 

Quote:
I'm guessing just the forum. I'm not an expert on website building but I think it could look more stylish
Learn php and code us a better skin. Or find one for download. I've tried and I can't but I am certainly open to changing it.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 13:00 

lol its annoying to me when we ask people's opinions on our website and they aren't given until months later. Everyone said our new website looked amazing and now I am hearing its dated. What are you guys expecting from the forums? Forums look like forums....... I think our website is one of the best I have seen for ANY clan or team. Please show me a better one. I am a little pissed off about this. I just think its ridiculous that it takes this thread for members to finally tell me they think the website looks dated. You do remember we changed it right? and you all said it looked amazing...or were you lying.

I would also love actual input instead of "we can do better" that shit is just fucking annoying. Neither me nor anubis went to school for web design and we do the best we can. So I prefer actual input or none at all.

edit: I am not calling redman and imok out for this. I was venting my frustration. They happened to be the ones that said it but its just in general I was complaining about. Please go vent your frustrations with the website in the proper threads which anubis provides below me.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 13:15 

The most frustrating part for me is all the time and work I put in to creating threads, asking for feedback, only to receive very little feedback, compile this sparse feedback, create a gameplan based on this feedback, and then months later actually get some feedback in a completely unrelated thread. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't care enough to give your opinion when it's requested, I don't care enough to take your lazy complaints in unrelated threads into account months later.

I created an entire subforum for people to provide feedback, and I would wager 90% of the posts in there are mine, 9% are jabberwock's, and the other 1% are just random posts from people.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 13:20 

Now can we please get back to talking about advertising with name tags.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 16:07 

Ok, well it seems like most everybody likes this idea of name tag advertising. It's a relatively small one time fee (unlike much of advertising which requires continual funding) and it would constantly be out there....anytime an AM member is pubbing on another server because The Asylum is empty, or anytime members are AltPuging, MM, whatever, the advertising will be taking place. The unique thing about CS is you are essentially forced to watch other people play after you die, so people WILL see the advertising.

My suggestion would be to ask each AM member to spend $8 on 4 tags. Tag the 2 weapons you use most as a CT and the 2 weapons you use most as a T. If members want to spend more for additional weapons, that's great, but I think $8 is a reasonable expectation for anyone who wants to be an active member of the clan..... That's only 1 fast food meal and it's a 1 time purchase. Again, I'm just trying to contribute ideas here.... Certainly not telling anyone what to do.

My thoughts for tags (as posted above) are:
Absurdminds.net
pub w AM @ The Asylum

If spaces count in the character limit, it may have to be:
pub w AM @ TheAsylum
...... Which is exactly 20 characters including spaces.

Any other suggestions for tags?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 16:39 

If I had a name tag it would just say absurdminds.net. I think it's simple and to the point.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 17:43 

I think we forgot a free way to advertise to a lot of people. The clan members that don't have #absurdminds.net should at it to the end of there steam name

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 21:59 

Quote:
I think we forgot a free way to advertise to a lot of people. The clan members that don't have #absurdminds.net should at it to the end of there steam name
Unfortunately while this is a good method of advertising, I like to keep my name normal without any crazy symbols (aka #). I'd also want to keep my name be one word.
The only way I would break this rule would be to make some stupid joke but then I would change it back to SticklySnipe later.

so this is my signature now

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014 23:08 

Yeah and there would be no room for my #TeamAmericania

16gb Ram
Razer Deathadder
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Steelseries QCK+ XL Navi Edition (Heavy)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014 17:24 

Ok, so I don't want this thread to die... what do you guys think? Anyone else going to do this besides me? I'm going to at least start with a couple name tags and see how it goes. Anyone care to join me?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014 17:36 

I don't have the money to spend on a nametag, but if somebody bought me one I would definitely make it called absurdminds.net. As it is, I advertise the servers pretty extensively on reddit and the steam forums, and pay the bulk of the server bill, so I don't feel any obligation to spend more money doing this.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014 17:54 

Same with Anubis. Don't have any money to put in

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014 18:12 

I purchased a name tag for my M4a4 and put it as absurdminds.net. For those that don't have the money, you can try selling some extra skins to help if you like. If not, when I get extra cash, I'll throw some tags out.

EDIT: I have an etra copy on Natural Selection 2 ($24.99) Is there a website where I can try trading this game for some name tags/Keys?