Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 07:48

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Eclipse
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017 12:25 

Watched the total eclipse in Columbia, SC yesterday. It was crazy. Definetly a MUST if you guys ever get a chance. Got chilly, dark, animals were crazy. I posted a cut of what i recorded from my phone on my insta @cnovac14. Ill be posting some pictures of what i got and maybe a video of the 3rd contact if i have anything decent. I still have to go through them.
ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Eclipse
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017 14:25 

Yeah it was incredible to experience it.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017 15:37 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
I didn't have the proper glasses and I was working :( I was able to borrow a welding mask and 2 pairs of welding goggles. I could only look at it for a couple seconds but it was awesome. I knew it would be really cool but I didn't expect it to be the true definition of awesome.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017 07:04 

just a bit of info. Welding goggles are torch cutting goggles and won't protect you from eclipse. that is a common misconception. Lots of people down here were saying they would wear welding goggles when there isn't such a thing. I didn't know it until recently either. Glad I didn't try.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017 09:06 

Quote:
just a bit of info. Welding goggles are torch cutting goggles and won't protect you from eclipse. that is a common misconception. Lots of people down here were saying they would wear welding goggles when there isn't such a thing. I didn't know it until recently either. Glad I didn't try.
Depends upon the welding mask/goggles. My dad had two, one that dims in response to flashes of light and the other that was always dark. The first one did not work but the second one worked rather well.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017 09:20 

Are there any welding goggles that confirm to the iso standard for viewing the sun? Even if they seem sufficiently dark, infrared and ultraviolet light are not visible and you won't know if they're being sufficiently blocked without either testing them yourself or finding a statement of their ISO compliance.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017 14:54 

No I was informed torch goggles will never comply.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017 11:03 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
You DEFINITELY cannot watch the eclipse with welding goggles like you can with eclipse glasses. They were all the dark kind, not the auto tinting ones, and I just used them to look for 2-3 seconds total. I would not recommend it if given the opportunity. I didn't want to miss out on the view and it was worth the risk to me. But again, I wouldn't recommend. One of the guys got a headache from looking to long. As far as I know, that means permanent damage.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017 11:11 

Yea the UV is the real troublemaker and i dont think welding goggles protects from UV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk