Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024 11:01

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016 15:37 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
I'm getting a new car! There was a MASSIVE clearout for 2016 Hyundai Elantra's at a dealership near my house. The 2017's, with a complete makeover, came early; now they are getting rid of the 2016's at a loss! Once the final papers go through, it will be in my hands. If anybody likes to tinker with their car, I will be doing a lot of aftermarket changes to make the car simply better.

Some of the things I plan on making videos/walk-throughs about are:
  • How to properly clean and care for a new car, including what waxes to use and how to properly wash NEW car paint
    How to lower the road noise in a car (adding sound dampening and different tires)
    Lowering a car and the pros and cons of springs vs coilovers
    Changing out stereo head unit to, possibly, DOUBLE-DINN.
    Changing speakers and pros and cons of the different speakers I'll be torn between
    Plasti-dipping an entire car
    Changing interior lights to LED's
    Adding footwell LED's (possibly adding LED underglow exclusively for car shows)
    My thought process about how to make which modifications (to help other people to sort through the decision process)
    How to make a custom air intake (most likely short ram)
    How to install a new exhaust system with just yourself and a friend
    How to troubleshoot your bad mods
    How to change your own fluids and why you would pick certain fluids over others (conventional oil vs synthetic)
Is there anything specific that you have wanted to do to your car, but have been too nervous because of lack of a video or explanation?

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016 21:39 

Lower the road noise, installed leds inside the car/outside the car.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016 14:33 

I need to replace a battery in my MB C300. Any chance for a guide on that soon?

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016 18:55 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
I need to replace a battery in my MB C300. Any chance for a guide on that soon?
Honestly, I would recommend taking it to the/a Mercedes dealership. With all the electronics in the new luxury vehicles, I wouldn't chance it. If you still want to try anyway, I can tell you the best way to do it with the least amount of risk.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016 21:59 

I will still be working on this; however, the dealership had estimated my interest rate at 2.67% and they quoted me today at a whopping 13.7%. So the Elantra is not happening. Back to my original plan of buying myself a used car for my birthday (july)

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016 05:32 

how the fuck do they switch it around like that?

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 02:12 

If you have any questions you guys can ht me up!
I am trained for automotive crap so I can help out with most stuff or just any general questions. Stuff about the sound deadening or right tires or noise things. I wouldnt recommend making your own intakes but whatever each to their own. Electrical questions too since I do alot of wiring for my car.

Good luck tho!

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 05:30 

Best way to deaden sound in a honda civic 2005 4 door. Also, if I added a sub would this help with the rattle?

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 06:40 

How to change an automatic transmission into a manual.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 09:17 

Quote:
Replace your transmission. Automatics and manuals are so mechanically different that its insane.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 10:23 

See, that's the opposite of what I've heard from people who work on cars. They've all said it's pretty straightforward, so I would like a guide on it.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 10:26 

It may be "relatively" straightforward but automatics aren't robust enough, from my experience, to be at the mercy of the driver. One is driven off of a series of clutches and planetary gear sets. The other is a main shaft with a transferring shaft and a selector to select the gear.

My opinion is that you wouldn't want to do that. It may be more damaging to the transmission in general because automatics aren't necessarly the most robust thing. That, and you wouldn't have a proper clutch as with a manual.

This guy sums it up nicely. https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/ ... to/csnao3n

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 11:43 

Alright, that's cool. Since goat mips thinks I shouldn't be interested in this, let's not bother.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 14:35 

Ok

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 16:53 

Um you would replace the transmission and all the gears and you would add a clutch. I don't understand what you mean it would be different. You literally change all the parts out and make it into a manual. Hell, blinds brother did it in his car. Its not something that is impossible to do. Its quite costly but very easily done with the proper knowledge and tools.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 17:03 

It's so complicated of a thing to do. It COULD be as easy as putting a manual transmission in. I'm confident that you couldn't actually convert an automatic transmission to a manual transmission, but rather convert an automatic car into a manual car by replacing the whole tranny. With that being said, it isn't a direct swap anyway. It isn't as simple as "disconnect one transmission, and put the other one in it's place". Like goat said, the clutch pedal is complicated in itself. The most difficult part of the entire process is trying to make a pedal set with a clutch fit into a space where the pedal set didn't have a clutch. So a lot of people don't actually do this, and instead opt to put in a clutch pedal that is not connected to the rest of the pedal assembly.

But just for a Honda Civic (EK (1997-2000)) conversion from automatic to manual, I know that you need to have the new transmission (a manual transmission), a clutch flywheel, flywheel bolts from a manual flywheel, transmission mounts and brackets (upper tranny bracket, lower tranny mount, rear tranny mount, 3 tranny bolts, 2 bolts to go in the chassis), pedal assumbly, intake manifold, throttle body, ECU, shift linkage, clutch master/slave cylinder, vehicle speed sensor, starter +bolt.

I'm not sure why they told you it was straight forward. It's very complicated unless you're a mechanic. And if you're a mechanic, it's a waste of time to do it. Much better to sell the auto car and buy a manual car. Unless you are doing it just for a sake of learning.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 17:28 

If there are too many pieces for you to do a tutorial, that's fine. I don't understand why everybody is shitting on me, though, instead of just saying "It's too complicated for the scope of this thread". It's something that I'm interested in and would like to know more about. I'm not going to do it to my own car, or do it to anybody else's car. I want to know how to do it for my own edification, and being told repeatedly that it's too complicated for me to learn about is kind of disheartening.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 17:56 

Quote:
Best way to deaden sound in a honda civic 2005 4 door. Also, if I added a sub would this help with the rattle?
Depends on the noise your trying to eliminate and from where its originating from.
Quote:
I actually did this to my car, the one i had crashed was automatic. I bought a shell for and transplanted the old engine into the new shell and swapped from an auto to a 5speed. Really was straightforward except for some rewing i had to do.
Quote:
Um you would replace the transmission and all the gears and you would add a clutch. I don't understand what you mean it would be different. You literally change all the parts out and make it into a manual. Its not something that is impossible to do. Its quite costly but very easily done with the proper knowledge and tools.
And no you do not just change out the gears and internals. Its straightforward because all you do is change out the ENTIRE transmission. Not really costly as you would think, and im dirt poor, just difficult without proper tools and space.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 18:17 

Yeah, that is actually what I meant. You change everything instead of redo a transmission. I don't mean its straight forward as its easy or anything. You obviously do quite a bit of work and have to get a good setup like bunny did or make shit work like I think lulu did. Its doable though.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016 18:18 

Quote:
I actually did this to my car, the one i had crashed was automatic. I bought a shell for and transplanted the old engine into the new shell and swapped from an auto to a 5speed. Really was straightforward except for some rewing i had to do.

And no you do not just change out the gears and internals. Its straightforward because all you do is change out the ENTIRE transmission. Not really costly as you would think, and im dirt poor, just difficult without proper tools and space.
Yeah, this is what everybody before me has told me. You didn't happen to take a video of it, did you? :D