Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:47

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: College decisions FML
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016 21:57 

Ok, so I am on the ride home from the last college visit and now comes the time to finally decide on one. Problem is, with each visit I just second guess myself to no end. Basically I have it narrowed down to three choices: U of M, UW Madison, and Denver University, each with their own pros and cons. If any of you can shed some light on the cities or past experiences it would be greatly appreciated. I would say I am leaning towards a business major and in that regards, purely by academics it would go like UofM > Madison > Denver but I don't want to choose only based on that. Basically I am going to through down a Pros-Cons list for my benefit and if you have anything to say, please do.

First to clear up a few things I do mostly want to be out of state and also live in a larger city college.

University of Minnesota:
Pros:
- It has the best business school out of all three choices
- I was directly admitted to said college
- it is close to home if there was an issue
- it smack in the middle of a large city (Minneapolis)
- Know a few people going there
Cons:
- It is in state
- I have a feeling it is kinda the boring choice out of the three
- If I choose not to go into business, the school is sub-par compared to the other options.
- feels too close to home

University of Madison Wisconsin
Pros:
- It is out of state
- My sister goes/went there
- Is in a sort of city, smaller than UofM
- Decent Business School
- Decent around school if i choose not to go into business
- Is a larger school (33,000?)
Cons:
- I was not direct admitted to business school
- Just not feeling the vibe of the college yet :/
- "more to come"

Denver University
Pros:
- Still has a good business program
- Is out of state
- was direct admitted into business program
- it is in Colorado, i mean come on
- great weather
- good vibe
- is not in but literally right next to Denver
Cons:
- is not in but literally right next to Denver (so not in a city technically)
- is a private school so smaller size (5-6000) so still big considering what I amused to
- Trimester layout of the year
- least academic of the three, but still a great college

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016 21:58 

sorry for wall of text, tried to format it best I could

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016 23:27 

I would like to add something of substance to this thread.

This is all I got:

Denver University
Pros:
You get to be a huge Denver Broncos fan!!

Good luck deciding bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016 06:42 

Personally, I REALLY enjoyed going to a small college. My college had about 4k people and it was really awesome. Every class was taught by a professor (no TAs), all the professors knew everybody's names, it was easy to get help if I needed it, most people in my major classes were the same people every class so it was easy to develop study groups. Big schools do have some benefits, but I felt the benefits of a small school far outweighed them.

I also was pretty undecided when I went to college about what my major would be. If you're dead set on business and you don't think you'll change, you should go for the best business school. If you're not dead set on it, go to a school that has lots of other options.

Even though most employers won't care where you got your degree from, it really can make a difference later on down the line in terms of how well you're able to handle the situations your employer throws at you. If you're for sure doing business, it may help your future prospects to go to the best school for business. If you're not, go to the school that's most well-rounded, so that no matter what you do you'll be prepared.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016 09:08 

I agree with what anubis said. Also, GO BRONCOS!!!!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016 10:41 

If you want to decide based on pure academia, pick the one with the best reputation.

Also, in-state tuition is usually ten-fold cheaper than out-of-state tuition. Consider that.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016 13:01 

I went to Wisconsin and I've never had an issue getting a job, and many alums go to NY, LA, Chicago and other big cities. The prospects for your future are great, and I think you should weigh that the highest if you're set on a business major. Also, the alumni are incredible and the group is very social.

Minnesota is just as good, but I always hated the Gophers and having good sports teams is surprisingly important to me.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those two. Denver is not worth it IMO, private school debt and an average business school seems silly to me.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016 23:46 

Quote:
I went to Wisconsin and I've never had an issue getting a job, and many alums go to NY, LA, Chicago and other big cities. The prospects for your future are great, and I think you should weigh that the highest if you're set on a business major. Also, the alumni are incredible and the group is very social.

Minnesota is just as good, but I always hated the Gophers and having good sports teams is surprisingly important to me.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those two. Denver is not worth it IMO, private school debt and an average business school seems silly to me.

I get what your saying but right now I am just having a tough time deciding if I should really just look at the academic side and ignore everything else. Also i did receive a large amount of merit scholar money from Denver effectually bringing it down to almost the same price.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 06:29 

I don't think it's the only thing you should look at. Most employers don't care (at least in most fields - it might be different in business), as long as it's an actual school (not ITT Tech or Phoenix or whatever). A better school will usually teach you better, but a lot of it is also how much you put into it and which professors you end up getting.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 13:54 

Quote:
I don't think it's the only thing you should look at. Most employers don't care (at least in most fields - it might be different in business), as long as it's an actual school (not ITT Tech or Phoenix or whatever). A better school will usually teach you better, but a lot of it is also how much you put into it and which professors you end up getting.
A business school like Carson School of Management or Wisconsin Business School will bring employers to your school junior/senior year to fight for the senior graduates if you have good grades. It's not really about having the school name on the resume, it's about direct links to open positions in related fields when you have zero experience. I had four offers out of college the day I graduated, and it set me up for future success because I was the never person without the "1-2 years experience required".

One thing that baffles me (and I'm not point any fingers at any person in particular) is how some people only look at college as what you do after high school. You're paying damn near $80,000, use it to find a job you like. You have your whole life to either move to Colorado or visit for an extended period. Use this opportunity to set up your future for success. Also, Minnesota and Wisconsin are insanely fun schools. A lot of my friends in Seattle went to Carson and they told me it was the most fun period of their life. Wisconsin was easily the best 5 (LOL) years of my life.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 14:08 

I agree with jon about the whole "what you do after highschool". Don't let that be your deciding factor. You want to make the best use of your time in college. Sure have some fun, but make sure you set yourself up for the future. You WILL regret it later if you don't.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 16:42 

Quote:
A business school like Carson School of Management or Wisconsin Business School will bring employers to your school junior/senior year to fight for the senior graduates if you have good grades.
Is that not common for every school? My school for that for basically every major. I assumed that was normal unless you were a community college or something.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 17:51 

Quote:
Quote:
A business school like Carson School of Management or Wisconsin Business School will bring employers to your school junior/senior year to fight for the senior graduates if you have good grades. It's not really about having the school name on the resume, it's about direct links to open positions in related fields when you have zero experience. I had four offers out of college the day I graduated, and it set me up for future success because I was the never person without the "1-2 years experience required".

One thing that baffles me (and I'm not point any fingers at any person in particular) is how some people only look at college as what you do after high school. You're paying damn near $80,000, use it to find a job you like. You have your whole life to either move to Colorado or visit for an extended period. Use this opportunity to set up your future for success. Also, Minnesota and Wisconsin are insanely fun schools. A lot of my friends in Seattle went to Carson and they told me it was the most fun period of their life. Wisconsin was easily the best 5 (LOL) years of my life.

I know what you mean by the direct link to companies. That''s one thing that I is really great about Carlson and Wisconsin, the percentage of people coming out of their with great job offers because the companies came to them is crazy.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 17:53 

Quote:
Quote:
A business school like Carson School of Management or Wisconsin Business School will bring employers to your school junior/senior year to fight for the senior graduates if you have good grades.
Is that not common for every school? My school for that for basically every major. I assumed that was normal unless you were a community college or something.
The jobs are cream of the crop opportunities - $$$ and room to move up the chain if you pass the test. I guess the negative is the 'sink or swim' atmosphere they generally have.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 23:11 

InstantKarma is a Denver Broncos hater! ;{

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2016 18:06 

PACKERS 4 LIFE!!! PS - 1998 super bowl still hurts.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2016 19:23 

Quote:
PACKERS 4 LIFE!!! PS - 1998 super bowl still hurts.
Greatest game of all time!!

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2016 22:42 

I would have to agree, its been a long time since I watched it again, but it was amazing from memory.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016 22:04 

I love serial! He's the best! =D

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016 22:46 

Quote:
I love serial! He's the best! =D

Stand down, jabber, he's mine.