Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 04:32

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016 11:21 

I'll save so much money!

http://imgur.com/a/CdRwD

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016 14:58 

you'll save $68. 1 dollar for every year they've been open. and when you get your oil changed next year you'll save 69 Kappa

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016 10:11 

I could do your oil change for free thoooooo

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016 10:56 

Oil changes are so cheap some places that it isn't worth investing the time. Good to know though.

Learning to replace breaks is one of those do-it-yourself-easily things that are usually expensive elsewhere.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016 15:56 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
Oil changes are so cheap some places that it isn't worth investing the time. Good to know though.

Learning to replace breaks is one of those do-it-yourself-easily things that are usually expensive elsewhere.
It is definitely worth investing the time.

1) It's so easy. You literally take a bolt off the oil pan and let it drain. Replace the filter, and fill it back up with oil.

2) Mechanics charge much less than quick lube shops. Mechanics generally use recycled oil when you are looking at $30 oil changes. Quick lube places use new oil but charge more - ~$65 for a 2L/1,999CC engine.
I for one, want to know that it is done correctly. It's easy, but if it isn't done right, you blow up your engine. When I was working at a quick lube place they told me about a couple employees they hired that didn't put the drain plug in at the right torque. The plug fell out and all the oil leaked out. No oil, no engine. Boom.

That being said, even if it is a more efficient use of my time and money to pay somebody else to do a car thing, I will do it if I can. I don't care if the 2 hour job takes me all day long. You can't put a price on knowledge. Especially in an emergency scenario that it would come in hand.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016 18:30 

I don't have the space or the tools to change my own oil, regardless of how cheap and easy it might be. But it's definitely something I'm interested in learning how to do once I have an actual driveway and a wrench or two!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016 19:00 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
I don't have the space or the tools to change my own oil, regardless of how cheap and easy it might be. But it's definitely something I'm interested in learning how to do once I have an actual driveway and a wrench or two!
THAT is something I can make a video about! I mean there's a million on youtube but one more won't hurt. I just bought a jack too!

Just for the sake of knowing, here's a list of things you need and the costs associated with them.

Jack, Jack Stands, and wheel blocks: $60 (I just bought an $80 set because the jack could lift the car 6" higher)
Oil: $25 (I never buy oil unless it's on sale. It's always on sale somewhere and you save $20)
Oil Filter: $10 (I opt for a better one at $15)
Oil catch tray: $5

You could do without the jack etc. I've seen people buy those ramps and just drive the front tires onto the ramp and change the oil like that. I prefer to do it the safest way with jack stands (jack stands are little pyramids made of metal that you set your car onto after jacking it up. That way there is no risk of the jack rolling and dropping the car, or the jack failing while you are under the car.

It cost me $65 to get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. I save $25 per oil change which means after 2 oil changes at home, the jack etc is paid for.

Also, when you tinker with cars, it's really nice to know that everything that gets touched is done properly. ie all bolts are torqued and all gaskets are oiled.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.