Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 13:13

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013 14:04 

Which Distro do you recommend using for running the game servers?

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013 17:59 

Ubuntu is valve's official distro. Centos is the most stable but it comes at the expense of being slightly back dated. Debían is usually cited as the best all around distro. And freebsd is the lightest and most secure.

My recommendation is either Ubuntu or Debían. Definitely get off that Windows server lol.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013 18:54 

Quote:
Ubuntu is valve's official distro. Centos is the most stable but it comes at the expense of being slightly back dated. Debían is usually cited as the best all around distro. And freebsd is the lightest and most secure.

My recommendation is either Ubuntu or Debían. Definitely get off that Windows server lol.
that wont be for a very long time we want to play around with linux maybe on our test server... linux has to many issues with sourcemod and what not.... valve seems to break linux offsets every single update. and sig scanning is very boring.

Also what do you use to reboot the servers if it crashes? and then we loose vnc im pretty sure the easy of updating our servers via our cellphones lol!!!!

and watching all 8 consoles via vnc would be byebye

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013 20:32 

My servers don't ever crash... Unless I'm testing something, in which case I'm there to reboot it.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013 14:35 

So there is no service that will monitor them. None of mine do either but if they do they restart. Is also how I auto restart them at 3am pst using s plugin because I check if players are on if yes then wait for map to end

I saw I can still run server doc and telenet to the Linux box from a windows box. Were dual booting our old server now test server to ubuntu server x64

In most likely going to do my pc also in so I can play around with it 3tb worth of extra drives in my game pc might as well use it lol

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013 16:37 

I'm sure there are plenty of services. You asked what I use, and I don't use anything because they never crash.

If you want to auto restart there us a program in Linux that controls program starts and stops called crontab. You just add it to crontab and that's that.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013 21:25 

Ahh Which Distro do you guys use?

I know they are having a lot of issues with debian wheezy right now.. but windows this update has epicly failed.

Im not to worried about the servers crashing the only one that ever does is gungame... It needs to be fully recoded... maybe one day I will redo it but... IM FAR TO LAZY!

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013 07:29 

We use CentOS but I don't recommend it for what you are trying to do. I recommend Ubuntu for your situation. Since it's Valve's official distro, it's also probably what sourcemod tests on most thoroughly.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013 13:59 

Now the question. Lts build our 12.10 lol. I have the 12.10 build on my pc playing with different shell commands

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013 14:15 

It probably won't ever matter.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013 19:06 

Quote:
It probably won't ever matter.
Im going to keep coming at you HAHAH i think im just going to have to wait until tomorrow and actually boot to linux. I think tonight when apo gets home I'll head over there and get started on installing linux and what not.

First things is a test server. I'm wondering if it would be easier to just ssh the damn thing or install the VNC linux version lol.. (when were not at home) oh... and i have to figure out how to transfer plugins from my house to the server lol....

Anyway thats all in the future i have 4 days off this weekend so we can figure this out...

Thanks for the help we will prolly hit you up on steam lol... im going to cruise through the rest of the topics on here and see whats up..

according to the SM guys 12.10 build of ubuntu requires the same steps as CentOS

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013 19:30 

Are you installing ubuntu just to use as a server, or are you installing it to use otherwise? If you're installing server edition, just use ssh, because it's all command line anyway (no X) so there is no need for anything more. If you aren't installing it just for a server and you will have a GUI, then it's up to you. You really don't need anything more than ssh to get servers running, though.

Transfer plugins using ftp.

Ubunut and CentOS have slightly different syntax, but yes, the steps will all be the same no matter which distro you choose, unless there are libraries that have to be updated.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2013 02:54 

Quote:
Are you installing ubuntu just to use as a server, or are you installing it to use otherwise? If you're installing server edition, just use ssh, because it's all command line anyway (no X) so there is no need for anything more. If you aren't installing it just for a server and you will have a GUI, then it's up to you. You really don't need anything more than ssh to get servers running, though.

Transfer plugins using ftp.

Ubunut and CentOS have slightly different syntax, but yes, the steps will all be the same no matter which distro you choose, unless there are libraries that have to be updated.
I meant that before you can install srcds the stuff you had to do the newest version of ubuntu requires it to..

Anyway here is an update of what we've done.. Using Ubuntu 12.04 desktop version for the GUI. (ubuntu docs said they are identical but with/without gui)

Running VNC to remote monitor the stuff and ease of file transfer copy/paste from windows to linux.

Working on the start scripts now. As long as the servers dont 'hang' the srcds_run and hlds_run scripts should continue to restart when i crash the servers on purpose at 0300 hours pst... lolz

Thanks for all your info.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2013 12:24 

Cool. Sounds like a pretty complicated workaround, but as long as you're not trying to push your machine, all the extra software shouldn't really harm server performance too much.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013 08:59 

Ok so the installing of a server setting up the directories no problem on the server edition hell i even learned how to copy an entire freaking directory which made life a lot easier. So my next thing is learning how to use screen and setting up a start script for all of my servers. I can write a pretty decent auto update+start script so that's not an issue.

Any good tutorials on how screen works? i got the gist of it... but once say i detach a screen so that i can start another server up (via the start configs) how do i go back and close those specific screen's to shut off the server?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013 18:00 

I'll post my start scripts in a new thread.