Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 08:58

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Question for Azn
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2012 12:55 

Why would I buy a tablet? Would it help my productivity and organization any more than my smartphone? I just don't understand the crazy and am hoping you can clarify what makes a tablet anything more than a vanity product.

Also, what tablet would you recommend? Android OS, IOS Windows 8?

Post subject: Re: Question for Azn
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012 23:07 

Well you've probably have noticed that tablets are much more portable than a standard laptop. For me, unless you're using a gaming laptop, then a tablet would be the perfect replacement for your over-sized laptop. Only drawback that I can think of is the lack of a full QWERTY keyboard. The on-screen keyboards are a big pain in the ass and if you're planning to do a lot of productivity OTG, then I highly advise to stay away from tablets. I believe in getting a tablet if you're planning to do no more than basic stuff like web-browsing, email checking, very basic gaming, and movie watching while on the go. As for operating systems, I'm an Android fanboy due to its ability to customize anything the way you want. Hate the user interface that comes stock? Go to the Play Store and download a new one. Want better fonts? Head on over and download apps for a wide variety of fonts. iOS is great because it's absolutely simple to use. No gimmicks, no fancy customization options, and no meddling with technical stuff. Just tap and BOOM! As for Windows RT based tablets, I cannot say much since I haven't had the ability to mess with it for at least a week.

Just a bit off topic but there are tablets that can dock into keyboards. Actually, the only tablets that have keyboard docks are Asus' Transformer line. From what I've also seen, it seems like most, if not all, of Windows RT-based tablets come with keyboards. And finally, if you truly want a tablet but must have a keyboard, you can go with bluetooth keyboards. Logitech makes one for the iPads that also act as a front case.

Finally, to answer your question of productivity and organization with smartphones. While you can do all your productivity and organization with your smartphone, the screen is pretty damn small and most people prefer to have their documents viewable as much as possible. I have PowerPoint presentations that I have on both my tablet and my phone and I can honestly say that I would much rather look at the presentations on my tablet. Also, you have 2 sizes to choose from that are the most common sizes for tablets: 7 inches and 10.1 inches. While I do love my 10.1 inch tablet, it's not as on-the-go friendly as a 7 inch tablet would be (which is why I'm deciding on whether or not to get the Nexus 7.) But I did manage to replace my bulky ass 15.6 inch Toshiba laptop and there is only one thing that I'm missing from my laptop (all my phone fixing programs are on my laptop.) But for someone working in public relations, I can see you walking around viewing PowerPoints and Excel spreadsheets on a Nexus 7, iPad, or Galaxy Note 10.1 (Galaxy Note 10.1 is freaking awesome due to its built-in S-Pen.)

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012 07:55 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
Actually, the only tablets that have keyboard docks are Asus' Transformer line. From what I've also seen, it seems like most, if not all, of Windows RT-based tablets come with keyboards. And finally, if you truly want a tablet but must have a keyboard, you can go with bluetooth keyboards. Logitech makes one for the iPads that also act as a front case
I quoted this because of the first line, followed by a list of other tablets that have keyboards. After reading the first line I thought, "Azn please don't say something so wrong :(". But then you kinda fixed it.

I feel I should throw Blackberry's Playbook out there. If what you are REALLY looking for is on the go productivity, it makes the most sense to me that you have a playbook and a blackberry smartphone. Having a blackberry, I know how amazing it is for word processing and data entry (my smart way of saying Word + Excel). My specific phone (Torch 9800, the 9810 applies as well) is amazing for this because it has a full touch screen and a slide out keyboard for typing. So you can choose to use the touch-type feature, or not. I prefer not to use touch type.

7" of pure tablet.

You can link Blackberry's Playbook and phones via Bluetooth, as well as you have the option to use your phones data network, or wifi.

I think its an option you should seriously consider that azn didn't speak of.

LINK: http://ca.blackberry.com/playbook-table ... specs.html

EDIT: Also comes with a keyboard thing

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012 10:37 

Good eye there Ex. I did fail to mention the PlayBook by RIM. The only problem with the PlayBook, for me, is that I haven't had the chance to mess around BlackBerry OS for at least a week. I will say that it's a beautiful 7" tablet and knowing RIM, they probably have better productivity support than Android does.

But uhhhh...didn't you say you were going to upgrade to an Android phone Exodus?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012 12:27 

I am sorry but if you buy a playbook you wasted your money. why don't you just set it on fire. It is easily one of the worst tablets ever made. There is a reason no one sells it anymore. DO NOT BUY A PLAYBOOK!!!! Go to biglots a buy something there instead. Much better choice than a blackberry playbook. If you are gonna buy a tablet and you buy anything other than Asus, Windows, or Google then you wasted your money. This isn't my opinion this is really fact. Not to down what you said Exodus, but the playbook seriously is not a good tablet unless you just need to give something to the kids.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012 12:57 

I noticed my post sounded kinda mean after I wrote it. I guess I am just a grouch when I wake up in the mornings. I apologize if that sounded mean at all. I certainly didn't intend to insult anyone, especially my lover exodus.....woops let that slip didn't I.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012 13:28 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
But uhhhh...didn't you say you were going to upgrade to an Android phone Exodus?
Yeah, i like my blackberry and my BBM (hehe) but blackberry is not for me. It's perfectly good at what its meant for, which is not what I use it for

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012 14:19 

Truth is that the PlayBook would be a terrible investment right now because of RIM's status and their lack of updates. I just hope they do well with their next operating system and regain their original status. But for now it's either Android or Windows RT as my choices in tablets.