Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:00

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Tablet
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012 11:27 

Asian,

If money weren't an issue, what tablet would you buy and why?

Thanks buddy!

Post subject: Re: Tablet
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012 14:39 

http://absurdminds.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1607

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012 15:14 

As far as which tablet to go with if money weren't an issue, I'd choose one of the following:

- Asus TF700T (Android OS 4.0) [Great support from Asus and also has available keyboard dock]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (Android OS 4.0) [Samsung quality with very powerful hardware and the S-Pen for writing notes easier]
- Asus VivoTab RT (Windows 8 RT) [Asus quality and support with Windows productivity]
- Google Nexus 10 (Android OS 4.2) [Insane resolution and being an official Google device, you'll get the latest version of Android as soon as it is announced]
- Apple iPad 4th Gen. (iOS 6) [Retina display with very fast OS plus it is very simple to use]

So, the winner for ME would be the Asus TF700T. I'm an Android fan and love working on the devices that are Android supported. But for you Ace, my suggestion would be the VivoTab RT because it seems to me that you need all the productivity stuff like MS Office. While there are apps on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store that can create new documents and edit them, I don't think they'll be able to touch the productivity power of MS Office in Windows 8 RT.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2012 10:50 

I love the Android OS on my phone, is it similar to tablet devices? Also, isn't it kind of risky to go with a windows tablet at the moment?

One more thing, how easy is it to jailbreak these options?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2012 11:52 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
I love the Android OS on my phone, is it similar to tablet devices? Also, isn't it kind of risky to go with a windows tablet at the moment?
Why do you say that?

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2012 13:07 

With Android tablets, the user experience can be different from tablet to tablet because of the unique little tweaks that certain manufacturers do. For example, Asus tries to keep their tablets as close to vanilla Android as possible while Samsung uses the Touchwiz UI for their tablets so it might look a little different from Asus' tablets. But the experience difference between phone and tablet is very minimal because you don't have a drop-down notification menu that you can pull down from the top like on the smartphone. Instead, all the drop-down menu options are located in the bottom right corner where you tap to reveal everything. Also, the application launcher is located on the top right of the tablet screen. Other than the minor changes, the overall experience is great and feels as much as Android as the smartphone versions.

As for jailbreaking, we don't call it jailbreaking. Jailbreaks are for Apple products and Android has the term "rooting." Basically they are both the same thing in where you hack to gain more access to your device that you couldn't before. Due to having many manufacturers, Android phones and tablets have certain ways of rooting and almost all differ in methods of rooting. Sometimes, it's as easy as pushing a file onto your device and then using a Windows application to install the root and other times it's as complicated as doing a factory reset and going from there with a clean slate. For example, I have an Asus TF300T tablet and I have the Galaxy SIII. In order for me to root the tablet, I have to unlock the bootloader (think of this as the BIOS) and then that grants me the ability to flash anything I want to my tablet and that includes a custom recovery system as well as root. However, my phone is different in that it does not come with a locked bootloader so I'm already granted the ability to flash anything at the start. However, Samsung decided to implement a binary counter which keeps track of all the flashing that you do to your phone so that way when a carrier sees it, they'll know that I voided the warranty. So the whole "rooting" process is different with my Galaxy SIII in that I have to first install a custom recovery and then flash the root file (usually back in the original Galaxy S days, you would first root and then install a custom recovery.) So ALMOST every Android device is rooted differently and the level of difficulty can vary from device to device.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2012 17:26 

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you say that?
I guess I was assuming the application market would be terrible. But, come to think of it, would a windows 8 tablet be able to run any windows program I currently have on my desktop? If so, I'm wrong in assuming there's risk.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2012 03:45 

I'm totally not sure if you can run anything on the Windows tablets that you can run on the desktop versions but I do know that the Windows tablets have a full working version of the latest Office suite on them. As for risks, I really can't say because I've never had a Windows tablet.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2012 11:21 

yes, you can run any software off the shelf on your tablet that will run on your desktop. that is the unique thing about the windows tablets. as long as you are not getting a windows RT (which means it will only run software from the windows market place) then you can just buy windows software and slap it onto the tablet. to me this sounds exciting. I would like to own a windows and android tablet for 6 months or so and see which is more useful. depending on the programs you use Ace, I can see the windows tablet being useful for business.