Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 06:53

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010 22:33 

Today, I'll go over DDR2 vs. DDR3 memory very briefly. With DDR3 memory starting to become the norm for computer memory, DDR2 is starting to phase out. However, the majority of people are probably using socket 775/socket AM2+ motherboards and don't want to resort to making a huge switch just for DDR3 while there are those that are willing to sacrifice money for the latest and greatest. So, the question at hand is: "Is it really worth it?" Well it depends on your hardware as well as budget. If you're currently using DDR2 memory, chances are you'll have to do a huge overhaul and switch out not only memory type but the CPU and motherboard as well. Do you really gain a huge advantage with DDR3? To be honest, in the eyes of the average joe, no. The average joe won't notice a speed difference between DDR2 and DDR3. However, with DDR3, not only do you get a speed boost, but you also use less power (voltage is lower with DDR3), you get more headroom for overclocking, and you future-proof your system somewhat. For the average joe, DDR2 is more than enough: plain and simple.

So, if you got the cash to do a huge hardware change, then by all means, switch to DDR3. It'll keep your system up with today's standards and it won't be until another 2-3 years that we'll have DDR4 in our hands. If you're feeling thrifty and want to keep the majority of your system, then stick with DDR2. You won't notice a huge gain in raw performance between DDR2 and DDR3.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010 11:46 

that's good to know because I was actually wondering this very question. So I figure I will wait for dd4 before I make a switch. well since I am running ddr right now it doesn't really matter anyway lol.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010 22:25 

You're running DDR.......or DDR2? If you're running "DDR" then it might be a good idea to slowly invest in DDR3 rather than move from DDR to DDR2. DDR2 prices are very similar to DDR3 in terms of price/capacity.