Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 06:18

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 14:00 

Ok, so I'm looking for some assistance and direction. I know some of you guys are very savvy and have already done this stuff, so hopefully you can help out. If what I'm trying to do goes outside the scope of the AM member's knowledge, then just advise and I will broaden my search to other venues. Here's what I want to do:

I want to create a video that clan members can watch which allows me to go through map specific strats. I will need to be able to fast forward myself through the map (I've seen it in videos, but don't know how to do it). I will also need to be able to bring up an overhead view of the map and write on it while commentating (also have seen this in videos but no idea how to do it).

I'm guessing this is done by recording a demo and somehow modifying it? I would also like to be able to talk throughout the video without having to hold down my mic button.

Which leads to the next question.... if I were to record such a demo and then post it in the forums for others to be able to watch, would I need to covert it to a different file type first? If so, what file type is recommended and how do I convert?

Finally, slightly off topic, I noticed the screenshots in my csgo/screenshots folder are all of the file type: .tgi (Truevision TGA image). What program can I use to view and convert these files to jpeg or something?

Thanks! If you can't give specific info but know where I can find the answers, please post and let me know where to look.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 15:50 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
First, download OBS. It stands for Open Broadcast Software. You'll have to look up some set up tutorials/guides when you download it, but its a great program for recording. You have options for what you want. First, to fast forward, you can type "demo_timescale" and 1 is normal speed. 2 is double speed, etc. You can view an overhead view of the map by pressing Q? I believe. And you can draw on that. When you record, you can make it not push to talk, like google plus. That's how we all have ours.

That's actually probably your best option. These recordings would be in .mp4? format. I think that's what I have mine set as.

Screenshots: If you copy the URL of your screenshot, and view it in your web browser, you'll be able to save the screenshot as whatever you'd like.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 16:02 

Quote:
I want to create a video that clan members can watch which allows me to go through map specific strats. I will need to be able to fast forward myself through the map (I've seen it in videos, but don't know how to do it). I will also need to be able to bring up an overhead view of the map and write on it while commentating (also have seen this in videos but no idea how to do it).
You will have to record a demo in CS:GO and re-watch it. You can use a program called OBS (Open Broadcast Software) to record it in sections. While you re-watch your demo, you can type in console "demoui" to bring up the menu to fast forward, slow down, or pause. Also, when you are re-watching the demo, if you hit CTRL, it brings open the overlay of the map and if you left click on it, you can draw anywhere. Right clicking will change the color. (I am not sure if this is true because I never watched my demo before but while watching a competitive match, this was possible.)
Quote:
I would also like to be able to talk throughout the video without having to hold down my mic button.

You can do this by simply joining mumble and set your mic to voice activation or constantly on. You can have your own channel while you make videos so nobody will bother you.
Quote:
if I were to record such a demo and then post it in the forums for others to be able to watch, would I need to covert it to a different file type first? If so, what file type is recommended and how do I convert?
In OBS you can choose to make the video as .mp4
Quote:
Finally, slightly off topic, I noticed the screenshots in my csgo/screenshots folder are all of the file type: .tgi (Truevision TGA image). What program can I use to view and convert these files to jpeg or something?
The only program that I have that does it is Adobe Photoshop (not free but easily torrented). There has to be other programs out there that do it.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 16:37 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
The only program that I have that does it is Adobe Photoshop (not free but easily torrented).
I'll take this moment to remind people that we cannot link to torrents on absurdminds.net.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 18:25 

The one potential problem is I believe he mentioned he was using an i3. Even though he is not playing OBS might take a bit of a hit on performance making the .mp4 all jittery. Thats a maybe though, he could always try to lower some of the recording settings. Honestly it might not even be an issue. Besides that you could always try to render the demo in game although that usually takes time and has a large file output. For the mic either use a different channel in mumble without ptt or set it up so OBS(or whatever you record with) so it captures your voice alongside it. All you should have to do is talk into your mic then.

As for the screenshots I am pretty sure you can take .tga's and convert them in virtualdub... though I don't think it can convert to jpg etc. Only avi/mp4. Would have to check since its been forever.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 18:58 

He can just downscale to 420p and 20 fps

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 20:36 

Thanks guys! I'm going to dig into this and see if I can figure it out.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014 12:19 

Quote:
Screenshots: If you copy the URL of your screenshot, and view it in your web browser, you'll be able to save the screenshot as whatever you'd like.
Trav, this isn't working. When you say URL, you mean going to the Properties of the screenshot and copying the destination listed under "Location" right? When I paste this into Firefox it gives me a message that it cannot be displayed because it contains an error. When I paste it into Internet Explorer, it just brings up my CSGO Screenshots folder and doesn't change the web browser page at all.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014 12:28 

Quote:
Quote:
Trav, this isn't working. When you say URL, you mean going to the Properties of the screenshot and copying the destination listed under "Location" right? When I paste this into Firefox it gives me a message that it cannot be displayed because it contains an error. When I paste it into Internet Explorer, it just brings up my CSGO Screenshots folder and doesn't change the web browser page at all.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198118681873/

Go to your profile (what I just linked) and open up your screen shots there. You might have to "share" your screenshots. I'm not sure as I have everything on my profile open for viewing

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014 12:34 

Travis, I think you misunderstood his question initially.
Quote:
TGAs can be opened with most picture editing software, such as photoshop or anything of that nature. If you don't have a picture editing software, then you need to upload it to your steam community page, then open the picture from your steam community, then right click and choose save image as. That will save it as a jpeg.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014 12:43 

Quote:
then you need to upload it to your steam community page, then open the picture from your steam community, then right click and choose save image as. That will save it as a jpeg.
That's what I was trying to say, but I'm so good at explaining things to people, that their brain can comprehend how clear my words are. It's easily confused with, I fucking suck at explaining stuff.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014 12:48 

Quote:
Quote:
then you need to upload it to your steam community page, then open the picture from your steam community, then right click and choose save image as. That will save it as a jpeg.
That's what I was trying to say, but I'm so good at explaining things to people, that their brain can comprehend how clear my words are. It's easily confused with, I fucking suck at explaining stuff.
Oh. When you said "copy the URL of your screenshot", I think both me and Jabber didn't understand because he hasn't uploaded his pictures and thus has no URL. (Using the local URL of the location of the file does not work, so I can only assume you meant a web address, but since he hasn't uploaded his screenshots there is no web address.)

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014 13:49 

Quote:
Oh. When you said "copy the URL of your screenshot", I think both me and Jabber didn't understand because he hasn't uploaded his pictures and thus has no URL. (Using the local URL of the location of the file does not work, so I can only assume you meant a web address, but since he hasn't uploaded his screenshots there is no web address.)
Yes, exactly. My screenshots were just sitting in my CSGO local folder on my computer, thus why I was so confused. Thanks both of you for the help!