Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 06:32

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2014 19:30 

My laptop is dying on me. I realized this when I was playing CSGO when the game would hardlock my computer after a random amount of time. So I tested other games and they were also bugging out with graphical errors and hardlocks at random.

I decided it was time I built myself a computer. Not a powerhouse by any means but something I can upgrade slightly until I decide to make a powerhouse.

Unfortunately, I am a schmuck when it comes to computer parts so I went to the lovely people of /r/buildapcforme. After 2 attempts with 1 response that didn't even go into detail of what parts I should be looking at, I am coming here for help.

I need a list of parts that (hopefully) fit the required specifications below.

Details (That I am just copying from my Reddit post) are below. A link to the 2nd post is here:

• What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.

Just specifically gaming. Maybe a bit of video rendering here and there.

What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?

$650 (maybe $700)

When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Early-Mid August.

What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? (Tower/OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc)

A cheap but reliable keyboard would be nice. Need a tower as well. Still debating on the OS (If I decide to, that will be separate from the Budget). Monitor is separate from the budget.

Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?

Canada(Ontario). I have a Canada Computers nearby, but a local networking company is also able to order parts themselves if I need too.

If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.

Reusing a Deathadder 2012. I do have a spare keyboard, but it's extremely old.

Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?

Nope.

Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)

8GBs of RAM is good for now, but I want to at least be able to up it to 16GBs in the next couple of months or so.

I need a wireless network card because there is no way for me to have a wired connection at the moment.

1TB HDD. Nothing more, nothing less. SSD will come later in the future.

Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?

Mid-Tower. Not picky on anything else except for it to have front panel USB 3.0 or 2.0.

Do you need a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference for one or the other?

I'm still debating on it, but it would be nice if it would be included, but if the build passes $650 then it's not required. Windows 7 would be nice but Windows 8 is acceptable too.

In terms of Monitor, a friend of mine was willing to let me borrow an extra monitor from him until I get a new one and the OS can be acquired by less than legal means until I decide to get one.

The monitor I choose was http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-ve247h If you guys have a better recommendation, send me a link.

I would like AMD parts rather than Intel or NVidia. (If possible, does not matter in the end)

EDIT: I REALIZE NOW THAT RUNNING METRO LAST LIGHT AT 60 WAS A DREAM NEVER MEANT TO BE AT THE MOMENT. PLEASE FORGET ABOUT IT. RIP

I also do realize that running Metro: Last Light at 60fps on Medium or High would be kinda hard. I think that since my laptop (early 2010, single i5 at 2.53ghz, 4gbs RAM and NVidia 425m video chip) runs Metro: Last Light at sub 60 on low and 20-40 on medium could run it decently. It's ok if it doesn't, I would just like to know.

Thanks everyone for spending time helping me in advance.

so this is my signature now

Last edited by Joshy on 23 Jun 2014 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2014 20:00 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
$650-$700
Metro: Last Light on Medium or High at 60fps

:s

That's really a stretch bud. I decent gaming keyboard will be $60-$120 really depending. I guess if you get everything on sale you can be pretty close. But it won't be easy

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sQ9Zzy

This is the build I just made for you. Other people are probably more qualified to give advice. This isn't a very good build. It's just about the cheapest of everything, except for the video card. The GTX 760 is benchmarked at 66fps on Medium for Metro: Last Light, and 42fps on High. Both are at 1920*1080

ADDITION: That build doesn't include a keyboard and comes out at $634.15

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2014 20:13 

Quote:
$650-$700
Metro: Last Light on Medium or High at 60fps

:s

That's really a stretch bud. I decent gaming keyboard will be $60-$120 really depending. I guess if you get everything on sale you can be pretty close. But it won't be easy

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sQ9Zzy

This is the build I just made for you. Other people are probably more qualified to give advice. This isn't a very good build. It's just about the cheapest of everything, except for the video card. The GTX 760 is benchmarked at 66fps on Medium for Metro: Last Light, and 42fps on High. Both are at 1920*1080

ADDITION: That build doesn't include a keyboard and comes out at $634.15

Keyboards fine, I'll just use my shitty one at the moment. Removed my hopes for last light. Maybe we can drop the price of the Video Card a bit to keep it in the budget range. THANKS TRAV <3

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2014 22:34 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
For other peoples reference. I recommended to stickly that he buy a barebones kit and then pick a GPU that fits his needs.

Anybody looking to help needs to remember that he's Canadian. Big local retailers are:

www.ncix.ca
www.tigerdirect.ca
www.canadacomputers.com
www.memoryexpress.com

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014 17:56 

Travis, set your PCpartpicker to Canadian dollars. It is a much higher number.

Keyboard Option for the cheap.

I own that exact monitor, it is not worth that price. I got it for $124.99. It is also extremely wobbly, and the colors take forever to calibrate properly. AOC make a good monitor, very underrated company.

Are you not a CS Student? You should get multiple copies of Windows for free via MSDNAA.

Last edited by jero on 24 Jun 2014 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014 18:03 

Mine's kind of like Jero's but with an Nvidia card (if you prefer Nvidia over AMD.)
Attachment:
Bleh.jpg
Bleh.jpg [ 149.48 KiB | Viewed 4686 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014 21:23 

AOC has great monitors. I have not had a problem with mine and would recommend it to anyone. It is worth your money.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014 22:47 

Quote:
I own that exact monitor, it is not worth that price. I got it for $124.99. It is also extremely wobbly, and the colors take forever to calibrate properly. AOC make a good monitor, very underrated company.
I'll look into ordering the monitor as soon as I get my new PC. Thanks for the recommendation!
Quote:
Are you not a CS Student? You should get multiple copies of Windows for free via MSDNAA.
Unfortunately I am not. I did just look up though that Humber College (Where I'm going to in September 2015) does offer MSDNAA. I can also just use a cracked copy for whenever until I decide to pick up a copy.
Quote:
Mine's kind of like Jero's but with an Nvidia card (if you prefer Nvidia over AMD.)
I like AMD more but I'll keep it in mind.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014 22:50 

I have a cracked copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. If you use a cracked version, talk to Asian for an activation.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014 23:48 

actually stickly, Im trying to sell one of my monitors to make way for a new one. if your interested just hit me up ill send you the info

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014 00:30 

I was planning on ordering the parts this week but some stuff happened this week.

1. Headset broke this weekend (R.I.P Turtle Beach px21 number 4, may you never come back to haunt me). I'm planning on picking up the Logitech G230 headset because of Jero's guide. (thanx)

2. Medication for the whole next year, benefits don't cover everything.

3. My 500gb hard drive also died Saturday. (R.I.P, 2009-2014, I do backups of my important shit every other week. You should too.) My brother was kind enough to allow me to borrow his spare 32GB SSD that he got for free. Not much but I did install CSGO and Holy shit it's fast, I might now want to add one in to the build even if just as a substitute for the time being.

Because of these I am probably going to have to delay the parts until halfway through August or Early September but I'm still open to suggestions for making it better.