Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 10:35

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010 00:20 

Uhhhh yeah, I thought I'd throw this question out just out of curiosity. So, any of you planning to buy a GTX 400 series graphics card? I would love to get my hands on one but from what I've read, the prices are staggering! Also, do you think it'll be worth getting a GTX 400-series over the ATI 5800 series? Personally, if the Nvidia GTX 400s prove great competition against ATI, then hopefully the 5800 Radeons will be knocked down in price (I really would like to get a 5850 CrossfireX build going).

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010 00:33 

Nearly $400 (or more, depending) isn't *that* bad, and by *that* bad I mean if you're a rich bastard it's not that bad. Unrich bastards like myself, however, perhaps it may be a bit steep. Especially if you are going to by two of them. As for ATI, myself, I don't know, but it would be nice for the prices of any of the stuff to come down.

Sometimes you'd think that the price going down would cause people to shift from nVidia to ATI or visa-versa, but a lot of people are the "I ONLY BUY ATI GARBHGFBAHRBAH" or "IT'S NVIDEO OR NOTHING, I'LL BURN MY OWN HOUSE DOWN IF AN ATI CARD COMES IN HERE, I SWEAR TO GOD!" so they'll pay more just to "tow the party line" so to speak.

ETA: We could always settle on an nVidia Quadro Plex 2200 S4:

http://www.pcconnectionexpress.com/IPA/ ... ID=k172344

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010 01:15 

HOLY CRAP! That's almost 15,000 dollars! With that much, I could make a few serious gaming PCs. Also, that graphics unit isn't suited for gaming (which makes the majority of this clan) and is rather used for companies needing heavy 3D computations done on a server scale.

P.S. Fanboy-ism/Fangirl-ism SUCKS! Although I've been down that road myself a few times, I've stuck with Nvidia because their drivers are more stable than ATI's drivers for their cards. IF ATI were to release some stable drivers for their new series of cards as well as lower the price, I'll be more than happy to switch over from Nvidia to ATI.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010 11:36 

Quote:
P.S. Fanboy-ism/Fangirl-ism SUCKS! Although I've been down that road myself a few times, I've stuck with Nvidia because their drivers are more stable than ATI's drivers for their cards. IF ATI were to release some stable drivers for their new series of cards as well as lower the price, I'll be more than happy to switch over from Nvidia to ATI.
I switched to ATI when my newer, better nVidia card actually performed worse with Counter Strike. It might have been the combination of OpenGL, Windows Vista 64, and that particular nVidia card (it worked fine in serial's computer), but the ATI card I switched to didn't have any such problems. Not that I'm an ATI fangirl now, though. The point is that I will use whatever card works best for my situation.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010 11:41 

Quote:
Also, that graphics unit isn't suited for gaming (which makes the majority of this clan) and is rather used for companies needing heavy 3D computations done on a server scale.
With 16gb RAM, you could load the entire game onto the RAM for the video card, which isn't only hilarious, but also fast. But really, I wasn't actually suggesting anyone use it, it was just a joke because of how much it costs.
Quote:
Not that I'm an ATI fangirl now, though.
[citation needed] ;-)

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010 11:47 

I don't know, I have a gt220 (I think that's it) and it runs great. I had a ati 4550 or something I think which anubis now has. It only got 20 FPS in Left 4 Dead 2. I would like to get us both better cards, but I am not spending a fortune. I think if I would switch to 64 bit and get more ram, I would be better off than I am now.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010 11:49 

Quote:
[citation needed] ;-)
Hmmm, Ok.

citation

Is a recursive citation ok?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010 17:01 

Quote:
Quote:
[citation needed] ;-)
Hmmm, Ok.

citation

Is a recursive citation ok?
[original research]

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2015 10:37 

I was cleaning up the forums and found this thread. Ah, the nostalgia!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2015 11:07 

i was so confused, i was reading it and was like windows VISTA??? and who the hell os origin. then i looked at the date.... 2010, ahhh

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2015 21:14 

holy crap 20 fps left 4 dead.....oh how times changes. I remember that computer that would have trouble with smokes in cz and 1.6.