Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:32

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015 21:11 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
My gf needs a new laptop for school. Their requirements are:
CPU: i5+ or equivalent AMD
RAM: 8+ GB

The computer will mainly be used to run a program that opens a window which loads an imaginary computer (honestly can't remember the correct words here). Its to show her how to work with the different systems she could/would encounter in the real world and how to do her job on the different systems. I imagine that her CPU would be the first bottleneck if trying to make the program run faster.

What I am looking for (unless you have a better suggestion):
i7, 8 GB, 500+ GB HDD, SSD with at least the OS on it.

She doesn't really have a budget. It's just a computer for school so I don't really want her spending $1000+. I've been looking in the $700-$900 range. It does not need a dedicated graphics card. She won't be playing games on it at all.

This is my current favorite:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=081409

We live in Canada so it needs to be a Canadian website.

EDIT: I'm even okay with an i5 if it has OS on an SSD. Start-up speed it important to her.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015 21:19 

I think you're looking for the word virtual machine?

Also are you ever going to be on steam again? I've been trying to tell you something for like two weeks now.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015 21:42 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
I think you're looking for the word virtual machine?

Also are you ever going to be on steam again? I've been trying to tell you something for like two weeks now.
I haven't been on steam? TIL it no longer logs me in automatically. Will log in when I get home!

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015 21:45 

Also virtual machine was definitely what I was looking for XD

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015 06:40 

Quote:
I haven't been on steam? TIL it no longer logs me in automatically. Will log in when I get home!
Ha. "Why is nobody talking to me??"

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015 14:57 

BECAUSE WE CAN'T SEE YOU!!!!!!, just kidding you're quite fat, its hard to miss you travis....j/k you know you are skinny. love you!!!

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015 19:01 

Virtual machines can have any spec you want within the bounds of the host system, clock speed, threads, memory, harddrive, usb drives... They seem to be over simplifying the requirements and just saying "get overkill just incase".

The lenovo you chose looks fine, just be warned that Lenovo is in the doghouse with the general geekdom.

BestBuy is having a huge laptop sale right now.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asu ... df93dden02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/del ... 2b132ben02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ace ... 548ed2en02