Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:10

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Router?
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017 17:45 

Hey guys!

So I just started receiving WOW Internet again as opposed to Comcast (because of a datacap? pfft). I'm supposed to be receiving 500mbps, but I'm currently only receiving approx 130mbps download and 10mbps upload. According to the installation guys it's because of the router I have? I have a Netgear, Model #:C3700. They said I need a router with 32 channels (whateverthefuckdatmeans). I can rent a router from them for $5 a month, but I'd much rather make the investment into a good router that I can keep. My mom wanted me to make sure I mention that I need a router with really good wifi as I'm the only one wired in and we need to be able to reach the basement TV. OBVIOUSLY I don't know what I'm doing and I don't trust them to tell me what I should be doing. I'd much rather come to people I know and trust for their educated opinions.

So this entire post boils down to - what router should I get?

Post subject: Re: Router?
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017 18:49 

I would get a router with AC instead of N technology. That is the type of signal it will use. Asus is a good brand but I have always been partial to netgear, and apparently tp link is good too. Make sure it has antenna on the outside. Internal antenna are never as good. You're gonna spend 150 or more on this. Unless you get lucky and find a good sale. Feel free to post back about any that you might find, or would you like me or us to post actual routers for you to choose from. Either way just let us know.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... B00YY3XSSA

that is an example of what I mean, but I am sure you can find something cheaper.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017 20:00 

32 channel would be for the modem, which is overkill for what you have now. I assume you want to have a modem/router combo?

DOCSIS 3.0 is limited to like 1.2Gb Downstream 200Mb Up, but some aren't actually capable of hitting that(the channels). Each channel is limited to ~42Mbps and are separated and dedicated for down and up. The Netgear C3700 is 8x4 and only advertises a total throughput of 340 Mbps. It sounds like sometghing else is limiting your upload.

So you need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router with 16x4 channels, or 32x8 or DOCSIS 3.1 for future proofing.

They may be assholes and only support a handle of devices so i don't know what to recommend.

Last edited by jero on 29 Jun 2017 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017 21:00 

I currently use an Asus RT-AC66U and can get 200/200 local speeds. There are so many routers out there, but you should just shoot for a simple Dual-Band AC router with good reviews.

That being said, are you using fiber? Like, damn. I know the technicians said it should be a 500MB line but it could simply be throttled by your ISP. 130/10 sounds normal.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017 22:33 

shit I get 90 down and 10 up, and I almost ALWAYS have 110 down and 15 up, if I paid for 500 and got 130, they wouldn't get money from me until it worked.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017 09:51 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Yeah we can offer you* speeds up to** 500Gb/s for only $19.99/mth***

*you and or your entire neighbourhood
**up to but not limited to
***plus applicable fuck you fees and taxes

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017 21:23 

Quote:
shit I get 90 down and 10 up, and I almost ALWAYS have 110 down and 15 up, if I paid for 500 and got 130, they wouldn't get money from me until it worked.
When I told the techs that installed it, they told me it was because of the router I have that I wasn't getting the speeds I was paying for. I decided to just downgrade my service instead to the speeds I was receiving rather than trying to fight 'em on it.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017 07:00 

are you actually getting the speed you should now?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017 11:43 

Yeaahh. I figure it's cheaper. Maybe later I'll look into investing into a better router, but with school/books I just can't afford it right now.