Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 08:19

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Video signal loss issue
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017 00:52 

I've had this issue for a long time ever since buying my 970sc. Randomly my PC would lose video output on what seem like all outputs(both my D-DVI and HDMI monitors). PC still works, if I'm in discord with someone i can still talk. Game that I am playing seems to crash but don't know for sure. Through the years I've tried many solutions but the only temporary solution I found is completely rebooting. Using reset button which doesn't completely shut off everything doesn't fix it. I thought it was an issue with my GPU and I've since got it RMA'd but it hasn't fixed it. It seems to happen in games, and not all. I've tried benchmarking and it only seemed to crash on Heaven Benchmark on a particular scene which I used as proof to get an RMA. So far it has crashed in Warframe, (some other game i dont remember), and now it started doing that in PUBG.

specs:

CPU: Intel i7 3770K 3.5 GHz /w CM Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x8GB DDR3
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SC (3.5Gb + 0.5Gb thxNvidia)
PSU: Cossair CX600M
Monitors: Asus VG248qe + LG Flatron E2360
Headset: Steelseries Siberia 840
Mouse: Zowie FK2
Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB
Case: Corsiar C70

I'm not sure what else to try and what the issue might be :/
It's not even consistent. Sometimes happens more often than others. It hasn't happened in a few months and now seems to start happening again.

If anybody might have an idea of what the issue might be I'd appreciate it :3

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017 09:50 

First check your BIOS/UEFI for updates. Flash the BIOS/UEFI with the latest update. Make sure every bit of software is up to date with video drivers, chipset drivers, and the like.

That being said, it may be your power supply. I had a friend with a similar issue and the GPU would reliably crash when running heavy loads.

Try running something like furmark. It's a good GPU stress test but it acted for us as a way to figure out if it's the GPU or the PSU. The PSU is a cheaper possibility for this so if it's the PSU and not the GPU, then yay.

Also I find the inclusion of mousepad in your specifications to be amazing.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017 10:06 

You can try OCCT for stress testing as well.
http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=exe

Following what goat said, are you running overclocks on anything? If so, revert to stock. Maybe run fail safe defaults in BIOS, only changing what you need.

Have you physically cleaned it or inspected the system? Could be as simple as some shmoo getting blown where it shouldn't go. Perhaps reseat the video card, and try different PCI-E connectors.

P.S. I just had my Corsair CX600 pop on me, so there's that, lol.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017 12:49 

I think I found the issue. Didn't thoroughly test it to isolate other variables though. Seems to be a faulty RAM stick. It's not dead, but seems to give out under load although it passes stress tests fine. I've looked through forums with people having same issues and some people pointed at RAM being at fault. I remembered that one time my pc couldn't post until I removed one specific RAM stick. Whenever it was connected my PC couldn't post. I dusted it out a bit and seemed to work afterword but It was still on my suspect list since It didn't work after first dusting. Anyways removed the stick and did some more testing and haven't had any issues. I'm not 100% this is the same stick since I didn't think of labeling the faulty one. I'll swap them and see if I get issues again.

Fortnite and PUBG seem to be a good tests since I've had most crashes in them.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017 16:49 

Keep us informed if you continue not crashing now.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017 22:47 

I jinxed it didn't I.... Played some Fortnite, crashed. So at least this stick is not the issue. I'll keep testing around.