Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 16 May 2024 21:26

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Sachi's Nightmare....
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 03:22 

It was the night before thanksgiving. Shelby was watching Glee on RYANS other computer right next to my current gaming computer. They go inside to eat dinner. While they are gone a pop up creeps up on his old desktop, and it downloads, system tool 2011 by itself and lock ryan out of this computer. Ryan frets and runs some antivirus programs so he doesnt get all his shit hijacked. Well. He run a scan, is told to restart his computer, does so... Upon restarting his PC he finds out that explorer.exe is either gone or just wont boot.

To his joy he found out that SHELL can be renamed and is actually a exe. for explorer. but to his dismay it wont run...

So I need help guys. I am not sure what my options are at this point. I spent hours upon hours trying to fix this. and I have got no where thus far...

I do not have a COPY of XP I can go off of for a system repair. I do have a copy of Vista Ultimate. alsa no spare CD key for it...

I am going to cut my toes off and put them on pizza and feed them to the parents of people who are smaller than 2 feet tall if I do not get this resolves,,,,,

Your truly

your mom...

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 04:38 

I have made progress. But ultimately, I still have no toolbar. I can run programs through yee ole taskmanager. But I still have no desktop icon and no toolbar. I am freaking out and I like girls. I like girls a lot. But with no computer comes no looking at naked boa constrictors.

argggggg. my thanskgiving already blows. but i will be eating pizza in 6 minutes......

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 05:14 

Well fortunately, there is a way for you to install Windows 7 Ultimate. The bad side is that well...you need to have your internet connection and a few other programs. If you can, reply back or message me via Steam. I'll tell you what I have in mind.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 06:18 

I doubt this ole desktop can run 7...
I do have internet connection on it now.
I can run all my programs...
Explorer just isnt booting up. I have to open taskbar and start a new task to do things...
It took me hours to get it to this point... but it is getting better i guess...
I just need explorer to work and i am golden...

i vow not to sleep till i fix it...

edit
oh and i looked for you on steam, i think you signed off...

I looked while i was posting this thread beginning lol

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 07:01 

I did all this

Re: [SOLVED] Explorer.exe 'File does not have a program associated with it'
You are likely missing some keys and values in the registry:
Do the following:
-Go to the Start menu
-Click Run
-Type Regedit

Go to the following:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shell
under Shell, you should have the following keys:
-explore
-open
-opennewprocess
-opennewwindow
If you click twice on each item to expand them, you should see "command"

If these items are missing you will have to right click on shell and add a new key for each item above (i.e. explore, open etc.) , then do the following:

1) Right click on explore

* Add a new string value and name it 'MultiSelectModel'. Then click twice on 'MultiSelectModel' and under Value type 'Document'.
* Add a new D-WORD (32 bit value) and name it 'LaunchExplorerFlags'. Then click twice on 'LaunchExplorerFlags' and give it a Hex value of 18.
* Add another string value and name it 'ProgrammaticAccessOnly'. You don't need to double click as there's no value to assign.
* Finally, add a new key and name it 'command'.

2) Right click on 'command' under 'explore'. Add a new string value and
name it 'DelegateExecute'. Double click on it and type in the following
value {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}.

3) Right click on open

* Add a new string value and name it 'MultiSelectModel'. Then click twice on 'MultiSelectModel' and under Value type 'Document'.
* Add a new key under open and name it 'command' (as above).

4) Right click on 'command' under 'open'. Add a new string value and
name it 'DelegateExecute'. Double click on it and type in the following
value {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}.

5) Right click on opennewprocess

* Add a new string value and name it MUIVerb. Then double click on it and under value type '@shell32.dll,-8518'. (Don't include quotes).
* Add a new string value and name it 'Extended'. You don't need to double click on this as there's no value to type in.
* Add a new D-WORD (32 bit value) and name it 'LaunchExplorerFlags'. Then click twice on 'LaunchExplorerFlags' and give it a Hex value of 3.
* Add another string value and name it ExplorerHost. Double click on it and under value type {ceff45ee-c862-41de-aee2-a022c81eda92}.

6) Right click on 'command' under 'opennewprocess'. Add a new string
value and name it 'DelegateExecute'. Double click on it and type in the
following value {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}.

7) Right click on opennewwindow

* Add a new string value and name it MUIVerb. Then double click on it and under value type '@shell32.dll,-8517'. (Don't include quotes).
* Add a new D-WORD (32 bit value) and name it 'LaunchExplorerFlags'. Then click twice on 'LaunchExplorerFlags' and give it a Hex value of 1.
* Add a new string value and name it 'OnlyInBrowserWindow'. You don't need to double click on this as there's no value to type in.

8) Right click on 'command' under 'opennewwindow'. Add a new string
value and name it 'DelegateExecute'. Double click on it and type in the
following value {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}.

That's it. After this you should be able to launch windows explorer from the task bar, start menu and any other places you want to launch it from.

Ads by Google
Richmond Computer Repairs Call Our Tech Support! We Can HelpYou with Your Computer Problems. http://www.MrTechSupport.com

AT&T Tech Support 360 24/7 Small Business Tech Support -What You Need, When You Need It. tech360.att.com

from this site last post http://www.techsupportforum.com/microso ... ted-2.html

honestly i have been trying all kinda of shit.... and this didnt work... so now i suppose i should undo all of this

I totally undid all that just to be safe

Last edited by PhYsC0 Sachi on 25 Nov 2010 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 07:36 

WOW...... I found it.... I fixed it!!!! WOW WOW WOW.... When the program was taking care of the virus it moved a lot of the important files around. I found explorer and I copy and pasted it somewhere else... ran the command in CMD and voila ....

Thank you for all you help sachi!!! =)

I feel smart now lol

Last edited by PhYsC0 Sachi on 25 Nov 2010 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 07:39 

im proud of you sachi :D
talk about patience kind sir

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 07:50 

patience!!!!! your talking 7 hours of which i could have been playing lol

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 07:54 

Welll. This chpt it done for now...

But new problems have arisen.
My "MY COMPUTER' Control Panel... and a few other things are asking for me to select a program i want to open them with,,, and explorer will only open when i enter the command for it to open... turning on my PC only load to desktop... but this isnt so bad for now.. anyone feel like throwing me suggestions so i dont have to even use my brain if i ever wake up tomorrow (today) feel free!!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 12:04 

maybe one of us should just make you a copy of XP and send it to you or get you a vista cd key. can't be that hard

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 12:05 

my first suggestion though is to stop using system tool or whatever the hell it was you have. use something like avg, avast, malware bytes....you can get get full version keys off torrents. thats what I would do.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 12:27 

System Tool 2011 (one of those fake antivirues scanners that pops up) was a virus... It installs itself into your computer and hides through out the files. When using an antvirus program to get rid of it. It got rid of the files that had this virus, not even current virus protection progams prevent it from loading

It was easy enough to get rid of the virus. But getting all the system 32 files back in their places and then finding explorer was a huge challenge... but i did do this. upon restarting the computer I have to open tack manager and start an new task to run explorer. Which runs fine at this point....

I just need to find out how to get my computer, control panel, and all the other actual MY computer things to run properly now....

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010 13:06 

hmmm that blows. we will figure it out