Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 18:45

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Farmville
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010 17:49 

I found an interesting article on why Farmville is so dang popular.

link
Quote:
Farmville is not a good game. While Caillois tells us that games offer a break from responsibility and routine, Farmville is defined by responsibility and routine. Users advance through the game by harvesting crops at scheduled intervals; if you plant a field of pumpkins at noon, for example, you must return to harvest at eight o’clock that evening or risk losing the crop. ... [A] fourteen by fourteen plot of land—which is relatively small for Farmville—takes almost six hundred mouse-clicks to farm, and obligates you to return in a few hours to do it again. This doesn’t sound like much fun, Mr. Caillois. Why would anyone do this?

One might speculate that people play Farmville precisely because they invest physical effort and in-game profit into each harvest. ... Of course, people can sidestep the harvesting process entirely by spending real money to purchase in-game items. ... Clearly, even people who play Farmville want to avoid playing Farmville.

Even Zynga’s designers seem well aware that their game is repetitive and shallow. As you advance through Farmville, you begin earning rewards that allow you to play Farmville less. Harvesting machines let you click four squares at once, and barns and coops let you manage groups of animals simultaneously, saving you hundreds of tedious mouse-clicks. ... For such a popular game, this seems suspicious.

Again: if Farmville is laborious to play and aesthetically boring, why are so many people playing it? The answer is disarmingly simple: people are playing Farmville because people are playing Farmville.

The secret to Farmville’s popularity is neither gameplay nor aesthetics. Farmville is popular because in entangles users in a web of social obligations.

(1) Farmville is defined by obligation, routine, and responsibility;
(2) Farmville encroaches and depends upon real life, and is never entirely separate from it;
(3) Farmville is always certain in outcome, and involves neither chance nor skill;
(4) Farmville is a productive activity, in that it adds to the social capital upon which Facebook and Zynga depend for their wealth;
(5) Farmville is governed not by rules, but by habits, and simple cause-and-effect;
(6) Farmville is not make-believe, in that it requires neither immersion nor suspension of disbelief.
It goes on a bit more to talk about why the popularity of Farmville is so disturbing (which I agree with :D Seriously, how is this game fun?).

Post subject: Re: Farmville
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010 23:03 

i played it but then i noticed its more work than my actual life so i stopped
i already have enough work to do out in the world lmao

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010 11:05 

I think most of those games on facebook are retarded, but then again I haven't played them. I probably never will either :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010 15:07 

yea they pretty much are
all they are is just clickin and checking back constantly

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010 15:12 

I am mafia wars fan...

I thin people who play on computers are lame... yes including myself..

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010 15:13 

then its a good thin i play on TV's :D

PostPosted: 01 May 2010 00:29 

Quote:
I am mafia wars fan...

I thin people who play on computers are lame... yes including myself..

Mafia wars? Really?
Mafia wars < Farmville < Fishville < CZ