Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 03:24

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015 06:47 

I read this great quote about winning and losing and it made me think of some of the people in the clan.

"Winning is enjoyable, but losing does not detract from the pleasure of playing." - Nakayama Noriyuki

I've found my enjoyment of CS to be much greater when I try to keep this mindset.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015 10:11 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Even though it's just a game, it's embarrassing as people to see how many poor sports there are online. I guess it's like anything else online. I haven't experienced this sportsmanship in any athletic sport, ever.

Just say gg and use the lose as motivation to be better!

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015 10:56 

Sportsmanship is killed by competition. They're opposite states of mind. The key to having good sportsmanship is to recognize that the goal is to get better, rather than to win.

It's also a good quote to keep in mind to keep you trying even when you're losing, instead of getting frustrated and giving up or just fucking around. You can still learn if you're losing, but you can't learn if your mindset tanks because you're losing.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015 12:51 

I agree, I have problem with it often. I have something in my dna that tells me I have to win everything. I can't be second or I will die off or something weird. I always have a much better experience when its about sportsmanship and not about the outcome of the match/game. The best times of my life were after basketball or baseball games when the other players would congratulate each other or the opposite teams coaches would give you good words of encouragement or tips and pointers. The best times in CS was playing against other teams and discussing what we did wrong after.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015 14:02 

Quote:
I agree, I have problem with it often. I have something in my dna that tells me I have to win everything. I can't be second or I will die off or something weird. I always have a much better experience when its about sportsmanship and not about the outcome of the match/game. The best times of my life were after basketball or baseball games when the other players would congratulate each other or the opposite teams coaches would give you good words of encouragement or tips and pointers. The best times in CS was playing against other teams and discussing what we did wrong after.
Same, and no matter what I tell myself at the end of the day I hate losing at anything. I'm more like the Lombardi quote, "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015 14:59 

Yeah, even when its about good sportsmanship I just can't help myself... I wanna win. I don't just wanna win, I wanna fucking crush the competition. I am also not one of those people that lets up. I am beating you 75 to 10 in a basketball game... I am still throwing up threes because I wanna make a statement. I believe it sullies my win when I don't try my hardest til the end.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015 21:28 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
I don't just wanna win, I wanna fucking crush the competition. I am also not one of those people that lets up. I am beating you 75 to 10 in a basketball game... I am still throwing up threes because I wanna make a statement. I believe it sullies my win when I don't try my hardest til the end.
Those aren't mutually exclusive though. Playing anything to the best of your ability has nothing to do with sportsmanship. If you play to the best of your ability and tell everybody else that they suck and should give up, that is poor sportsmanship.

Also, I disagree that sportsmanship and competition are opposite states of mind. They have a lot to do with upbringing. I was taught to try my hardest and be respectful. If you can beat somebody in basketball by throwing elbows and fouling them, you didn't beat them, you just cheated and became a sore loser.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015 06:40 

Quote:
I was taught to try my hardest and be respectful.
Trying your hardest isn't competition. Competition is pitting yourself in direct opposition of somebody for a zero-sum goal. It's the mindset that my win is fundamentally your loss. It manifests in things like becoming angry when you are losing, even if you're just being angry on the inside. (That's showing poor sportsmanship to yourself.) It's becoming angry with your teammates for their mistakes (even though, if we were being honest, mistakes happen - people aren't perfect), even if you keep your anger on the inside. It's trying less hard because you're already losing by 20 points with only one quarter left, instead of trying your best because it doesn't matter if you're losing. It might be cultural, like you say, but I have never seen competition rise and sportsmanship also rise, or vice versa. The rise of competition always leads to a degradation in sportsmanlike behavior, and lowering competition leads to more cooperative and friendly behavior. But again, that might be cultural. Americans love them some sportsing! So it might harder for them to disengage their emotions from their behavior.