Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:18

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016 11:51 

Ubisoft has released something called the Starter Edition on Steam. It is apparently the full Rainbow Six: Siege game, except it costs $15, and you have to grind more to unlock other Operators. You can see the full details here. It looks like a great idea if you were on the fence about it because of its price or because you didn't know how much time you would spend in it.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2016 02:34 

Just sounds like a way for them to make the money they never made back from open release. I'm sure the game will be on same for summer.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2016 19:20 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
Just sounds like a way for them to make the money they never made back from open release. I'm sure the game will be on same for summer.
That seems more and more like Ubisoft each game they release -.-

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2016 22:08 

Quote:
Quote:
That seems more and more like Ubisoft each game they release -.-
The problem with Ubisoft is that their multiplayer (although this argument could be used for their single player) games are missing the essential end game content and support (updates) to keep early and current buyers coming back. The current players are the ones making videos, posts and communities of the game that drive newer more hesitant players into purchasing games like The Division, Rainbow Six Siege, The Crew and Ghost Recon Phantoms. All four of these games have seen a whole assortment of videos and promotion during the first month of their lifespan. Over time though, it decreases (this is normal) which at this point is where the end game content and updates come into play.

If there is little reason (or the reasons are bad) to come back and play, then the current player base drops dramatically. The YouTubers and Twitch streamers who dedicated their channel for that game, jump ship to the next hot game because of the lack of content. Right now Ubisoft is currently playing the short game with releasing games that have no long term replay-ability so that players jump to their next game. It's getting them profits but we don't know how long that will last for.

While I feel that The Crew and Ghost Recon have no way of coming back, The Division and Rainbow Six are still relatively new that Ubisoft can turn them around.

They do need to take notice of how other games keep players around. The Division is currently focused on a expansion model which is all fine but by the time they release their expansion, there might not be any people who are willing to buy the expansion. A game which does this model well is Destiny. While the first year of Destiny was rocky and had a lackluster end game (comparable to The Division), the frequency of smaller updates allowed Bungie/Activision retain a good amount of players for the first expansion "The Dark Below". When it released it had improved end game content. Another expansion came out and then the major expansion "The Taken King" came out and completely redefined everything that game offered, making it an almost completely new experience.

Rainbow Six Siege on the other hand is currently stuck in a crisis. On one hand, it wants to be the new competitive shooter that is played at big eSports events (CS:GO) but on the other it wants to be a party focused fun romp with friends (COD/Battlefield). While it definitely has the ability to be both, the current direction of the game is not exactly helping the popularity of the game. The amount of content that is offered is not enough for the causal crowd and the competitive nature of the game is not enticing for sponsors and pro players to jump on as there might be no future for the game. Since this is a first (kinda) time go for Ubisoft at the modern multiplayer only first-person shooter genre, they really should be focusing on only one of the objectives, not both. Another problem for Siege include the fact that it doesn't have enough content for a $60 game (which the $15 version is hoping to alleviate).

Hopefully I worded this correctly and it's easy to get my point across. Probably not so let me know.

so this is my signature now

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2016 03:12 

Well said Stickly, couldn't of said it better. It really is a shame to see the community die in games like Siege. The beta was really fun and it made me buy the game but ever since release, I haven't played it once. There is no point for me to grind and grind for no end game result.

Last edited by mutiny on 09 Jun 2016 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2016 07:39 

Yeah, that really is well said. Once I beat the story in The Crew, PvP was the only fun thing, and once they released those pay-to-win motorcycles in PvP it became pointless. As for The Division, I want to play the game without having to PvP, but currently the only end-game is the Dark Zone.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016 02:29 

These companies are trying to make games to compete with others in its genre but keep failing. In my opinion the only companies that have had games last the longest are Valve and Blizzard. Obviously Counter-Strike is a universal favorite and that game will never die. For Blizzard, all of their games are great for the most part. It seems like most of Ubisoft's games just die within weeks/months of release. The only other company that really makes a good game is EA and that is Battlefield. But that too dies within several months...

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016 07:19 

I think ubisoft is really good at making single player games. If rainbow six siege had had a single player campaign, I would have bought it.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016 09:29 

Yeah, if these companies don't change soon they are going to lose their player bases altogether. Less people are buying COD each time, less people are buying ubisoft games. Those that do buy those games abandon them very shortly after. Ubisoft is being talked about like its EA or some other shit company that is just trying to get your money. I still have some hopes for the division, but these games are more disappointing each time. I am close to never buying from ubisoft again.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016 20:28 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
The last game that I played that wasn't overhyped was Bioshock Infinite. All the multiplayer games have been piss-poor.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016 20:51 

Yeah, that's very true. I hear Doom wasn't overhyped either, but the multiplayer in it is so-so.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016 22:44 

Quote:
Yeah, that's very true. I hear Doom wasn't overhyped either, but the multiplayer in it is so-so.
Oh yeah! I remember you saying about that! I need to check it out deeper.

Are we just MISSING the quality story based games? Are they still being made and just fly past us all? Is this the way gaming goes? I honestly can't remember good years vs bad years in the past for releases.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2016 17:51 

Quote:
The last game that I played that wasn't overhyped was Bioshock Infinite. All the multiplayer games have been piss-poor.
I actually remember Bioshock Infinite being overhyped as the 2013 Game of the Year. The game released in March which is insane to start calling it a GOTY when the year isn't even half over. Bioshock Infinite is definitely a good game but nowhere near GOTY level. It's a fairly simplistic and linear shooter that feels like a mainstream version of Bioshock 1 which in turn already felt like a mainstream version of System Shock 2. The story is good but the ending really doesn't help it.
Quote:
Doom was the opposite of over hype where people were going out of their way to shit talk it. That's what happens when all the consumer gets to play and hear about is a sub-par multiplayer mode which was made by a completely different developer who primarily works on console games. Also the fact that review copies were only given the day of release meant that Bethesda was probably expecting bad reviews because of the multiplayer beta(s).
Quote:
Are we just MISSING the quality story based games? Are they still being made and just fly past us all? Is this the way gaming goes? I honestly can't remember good years vs bad years in the past for releases.
There is definitely a deficit of quality triple AAA story driven games but if you look hard enough, you will find some. The Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Life is Strange and Metal Gear Solid 5 all have amazing stories for being high budget, triple AAA games. Then you have the high budget games where the story is great but they take a backside for the gameplay. Examples include Wolfenstein: The New Order, HiTMAN, Tomb Raider and even Overwatch. The consoles even have some great single player focused games with great stories like Uncharted 4, Until Dawn and Quantum Break (You can actually get this on PC but only through the windows store but fuck that shit).

If your looking for great stories in gaming than indie games might be the way to go. Transistor, Bastion, Firewatch, Salt and Sanctuary and Battleblock Theater come to mind.

The game industry is currently in an age where focusing on making memorable gameplay is the forefront while memorable stories is put to the side. This wasn't the case during 2006-2013 where bigger and better cinematic experiences were the future of gaming. The problem back then was that both game developers and publishers wanted to focus on making games into movies which games honestly shouldn't be. Games should be games and while all games should have a great story, if I (personally) only had a choice between a cinematic movie-like game or just a game with little story, I would take the game with little story any day.

so this is my signature now