Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:30

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Meet [AM] funny29
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013 07:57 

Q: First off, tell us a few words that describe you.
A:

Now, on to the questions:

Q: How old are you?
A:

Q: Where are you from?
A:

Q: What is your favourite map?
A:

Q: What is your favourite weapon in the game?
A:

Q: What computer games do you play?
A:

Q: What are some other hobbies you have?
A:

Q: What's your favourite animal?
A:

Q: If you had one wish what would it be?
A:

Q: Are you a righty or a lefty?
A:

Q: How long have you been playing the Counter Strike series and/or the Team Fortress series?
A:

Q: 1.6 or CZ?
A:

Q: What made you decide to join AM?
A:

Q: What is your favourite sport?
A:

Q: What's your job?
A:

Q: What website do you visit most?
A:

Q: What's your favorite past time?
A:

Q: What was your first gaming console?
A:

Q: Smoking?
A:

Q: Do you read? If so what is your favorite book?
A:

Q: Who is your favorite author?
A:

Q: What is your favorite movie?
A:

Q: If you had a choice, would you vote for Sarah Palin, or a retarded monkey that is prone to violence?
A:

Q: Do you play any instruments?
A:

Q: Do you play or watch any sports? If so what, and what are your favorite teams?
A:

Q: If you could be who ever you wanted to be, who would you be? And why?
A:

Q: Favourite type of music? Favourite band? Favourite song?
A:

Q: Why?
A:

Q: What's your favorite colour?
A:

Q: What's your favourite meal?
A:

Q: What's your favourite drink?
A:

Q: What's your favourite dessert?
A:

Post subject: Re: Meet [AM] funny29
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013 21:35 

Q: First off, tell us a few words that describe you.
A:funny, smart, competitive

Now, on to the questions:

Q: How old are you?
A: 13

Q: Where are you from?
A: America

Q: What is your favourite map?
A: de_dust2

Q: What is your favourite weapon in the game?
A: AK-47

Q: What computer games do you play?
A: CS:GO and Platinum in SC2

Q: What are some other hobbies you have?
A: Basketball and Hockey

Q: What's your favourite animal?
A: A dog

Q: If you had one wish what would it be?
A: I actually don't know

Q: Are you a righty or a lefty?
A: Lefty

Q: How long have you been playing the Counter Strike series and/or the Team Fortress series?
A: CS for 2 years

Q: 1.6 or CZ?
A: 1.6

Q: What made you decide to join AM?
A: Really nice community

Q: What is your favourite sport?
A: Basketball

Q: What's your job?
A: School

Q: What website do you visit most?
A: Facebook

Q: What's your favorite past time?
A: Games

Q: What was your first gaming console?
A: PS3

Q: Smoking?
A: No

Q: Do you read? If so what is your favorite book?
A: Yes, Power of 6

Q: Who is your favorite author?
A: Margret Haddix

Q: What is your favorite movie?
A: Zero Dark Thirty

Q: If you had a choice, would you vote for Sarah Palin, or a retarded monkey that is prone to violence?
A: Huh?

Q: Do you play any instruments?
A: Alto Saxaphone

Q: Do you play or watch any sports? If so what, and what are your favorite teams?
A: Watch basketball, Knicks Fan

Q: If you could be who ever you wanted to be, who would you be? And why?
A: A lawyer, love proving people wrong.

Q: Favourite type of music? Favourite band? Favourite song?
A: I dont know

Q: Why?
A:

Q: What's your favorite colour?
A: Blue

Q: What's your favourite meal?
A: Five Guys Bacon Cheeseburger

Q: What's your favourite drink?
A: Diet Coke

Q: What's your favourite dessert?
A: Mamon with whipped cream and cherry

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013 22:04 

Quote:
A: Huh?
Haha, I guess this question isn't really relevant anymore.
Quote:
A: Mamon with whipped cream and cherry
What the heck is mamon?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 01:09 

I think a mamon is a type of muffin.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 09:01 

I think it's like sponge cake or something but I don't know.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 10:31 

I think 5 guys is over priced mediocre hamburgers. it wasn't a bad burger, but if I am paying that much for it it needs to be better than it is. that is just my opinion.

on a side note, perhaps we should reopen the questions thread and see if anyone has new questions to add. I see my sarah palin one is a little dated.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 11:05 

Quote:
on a side note, perhaps we should reopen the questions thread and see if anyone has new questions to add. I see my sarah palin one is a little dated.
It's still open

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 11:18 

Also, you could spell favorite the right way.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 11:25 

Quote:
I am spelling it the right way, you filthy american.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 11:44 

Quote:
Quote:
My mistake. Enjoy Canada, heathen.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 12:15 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My mistake. Enjoy Canada, heathen.
You mean enjoy the entire rest of the world where they spell it correctly? You savage.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 12:39 

If this had to do with mathematics or other witchcraft I'd let you have this one. But since this is my area let me enlighten you on why you shouldn't pick and choose how to spell words.

1. You live in the United States.

2. Spelling has nothing to do what's "correct" or convenient in your mind. When writing standards are in question we refer to Merriam Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/ and AP style http://www.apstylebook.com/ to solve baseless arguments. Merriam Webster and AP Style don't recognize "favourite" as a word. You're spelling it incorrectly.

It's fine if you want to be stubborn on this topic, but let's not brainwash this poor kid into thinking spelling incorrectly is OK. It will do him no favors in life (or his English papers).

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 14:31 

I am with ace on this one. its favorite lol.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 15:10 

Quote:
If this had to do with mathematics or other witchcraft I'd let you have this one. But since this is my area let me enlighten you on why you shouldn't pick and choose how to spell words.

1. You live in the United States.
Yes, that's true.
Quote:
2. Spelling has nothing to do what's "correct" or convenient in your mind. When writing standards are in question we refer to Merriam Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/ and AP style http://www.apstylebook.com/ to solve baseless arguments. Merriam Webster and AP Style don't recognize "favourite" as a word. You're spelling it incorrectly.
That's not true. There is no "official" written English. We don't have an "Academy of the English Language" similar to most other languages. All language, spelling, grammar, etc., in the english language is simply a matter of convention. There is absolutely no body that has any authoritative answer to any grammatical or stylistic question you could ever ask (unless, of course, you are, for example, writing a paper for the American Psychological Assocation, in which case you would clearly want to follow the conventions in the APA style book). And it just so happens that for every single other english speaker in the entire world, the convention is to spell it as "favourite". It was only changed in the united states because people wanted to be different around the time of the revolutionary war.
Quote:
It's fine if you want to be stubborn on this topic, but let's not brainwash this poor kid into thinking spelling incorrectly is OK. It will do him no favors in life (or his English papers).
I will be stubborn, and I will try to undo the brainwashing of the american school system that drops letters haphazardly from words willy nilly because some dude 300 years ago said we should. Down with the systematic stupidity!

Also, if his experience is anything like mine, it will do him no favours but harm him in no way whatsoever, unless you classify "harm" as "having to occasionally explain to people why the spelling is perfectly valid and there is absolutely no authority anywhere within the english language that anybody can point to to say otherwise since no such authoritative body exists", but that would be quite the stretch.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 17:32 

Quote:
There is no "official" written English. We don't have an "Academy of the English Language" similar to most other languages. All language, spelling, grammar, etc., in the english language is simply a matter of convention. There is absolutely no body that has any authoritative answer to any grammatical or stylistic question you could ever ask (unless, of course, you are, for example, writing a paper for the American Psychological Assocation, in which case you would clearly want to follow the conventions in the APA style book). And it just so happens that for every single other english speaker in the entire world, the convention is to spell it as "favourite". It was only changed in the united states because people wanted to be different around the time of the revolutionary war.
Wrong. When writing professionally you reference the dictionary for spelling (http://www.merriam-webster.com/) and AP style for writing style/grammar (http://www.apstylebook.com/). You ask why? Because without structure and rules behind language any Joe Schmo could say, "favorite is spelled favourite" or "it's e-mail not email" and use the basis of "the brainwashing of the american school system that drops letters haphazardly from words willy nilly because some dude 300 years ago said we should" as evidence. It's not conductive to advancing language, much the same as "Thou art fled" or "wherefore art thou" no longer exist as relevant colloquialisms - because language and the written word changes and adapts. You can refuse this point and continue to argue about spelling and semantics, but I trust accredited institutions rules of language much more than yours and will continue to defend using proper spelling and sentence structure. Good day, m'am.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 19:37 

Obviously ever professional community is going to have their own conventions, but they are just conventions. If I am writing for any professional community, I would want to familiarize myself with their conventions. (For example, do they want double spaces after periods or single spaces? Do I justify my margins or not? Do they care if I spell my words correctly or use the americanized conventions?)
Quote:
It's not conductive to advancing language, much the same as "Thou art fled" or "wherefore art thou" no longer exist as relevant colloquialisms - because language and the written word changes and adapts.
I would agree with you if we weren't talking about a word that only a small fraction of all english language users spell a particular way. You are in the minority if you spell it "favorite", which is fine, but appealing to books that compile these less-popular conventions is not a justification for attempting to make others spell it that way as well.
Quote:
You can refuse this point and continue to argue about spelling and semantics, but I trust accredited institutions rules of language much more than yours and will continue to defend using proper spelling and sentence structure
What about the Oxford English Dictionary? Is there a reason that a dictionary that has been a standard in most of the world for as long as the Miriam Webster dictionary has been a standard for the american convention of english is disregarded so hastily by your appeal to (unfounded) authority?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 19:54 

And here we are back to arguing that it's the United States and we use the word favorite, which is correct. You even linked to it. Not sure what you're arguing about now. You seem to be stubborn with your logic, which is fine. But it's flawed. I'll simplify: In the United States favorite is the correct spelling.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 20:49 

Replace "correct" with "conventional" and the above statement would be right. There is no such thing as "correct" English, because there is no authoritative body who makes that declaration.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013 05:18 

i honestly thought it was "fav"?
poop....there goes the world i guess :\