Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 18:27

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Meet [AM] Anubis
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010 18:29 

Q: First off, tell us a few words that describe you.
A: I'm a strange combination between high strung and really chill. I get really worried about things that don't matter, but I don't let big stuff bother me.

Now, on to the questions:

Q: How old are you?
A: 22

Q: Where are you from?
A: Well, I'm originally from Illinois, but I spent most of my childhood in Oregon. Right now, I live in Tennessee. I'm sort of a nomad - I really don't care where I live, and I don't really identify myself through my location (like those people who only like the sports team that's right next to them).

Q: What is your favourite map?
A: de_forge, cs_assault_nod, de_dust_DumB.

Q: What is your favourite weapon in the game?
A: M4 when I have money, Galil or MP5 if I don't.

Q: Do you play any computer games besides CZ?
A: I play 1.6, L4D2, Mirror's Edge, Half-Life, Day of Defeat, Portal, World of Goo, Audiosurf, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and Garry's Mod

Q: What are some other hobbies you have?
A: Playing guitar, making movies, running our game servers, sticking my hands or fingers in our cat's mouth when he yawns...

Q: What's your favourite animal?
A: Bat. It's my second favourite animal (a dog), but with wings, so it's ten times cooler.

Q: If you had one wish what would it be?
A: It would be nice to have a house of my own.

Q: Are you a righty or a lefty?
A: Righty.

Q: How long have you been playing the Counter Strike series?
A: 3 years.

Q: 1.6 or CZ?
A: 1.6 if I'm trying to get better, CZ for more relaxed gameplay.

Q: What made you decide to join AM?
A: Well, I talk about it in this thread, but long story short: There are no middle-of-the-road servers. They're either unmoderated servers where people call you faggots all the time every time you kill them, or they're run by power hungry admin who will ban you the first time you get a kill for hacking. Me and serialp0rt wanted to create a clan that was focused around competition, where people took the game seriously, while still providing a friendly gaming environment.

Q: What is your favourite sport?
A: To play - Basketball and track. To watch: MMA, Hockey, and Baseball.

Q: What's your job?
A: I don't currently work, but come August I will be a student teacher in the Knoxville school district.

Q: What website do you visit most?
A: Our site and reddit are basically the only two sites I go to regularly.

Q: What's your favorite past time?
A: Working on the servers.

Q: What was your first gaming console?
A: I've never had a gaming console.

Q: Smoking?
A: No.

Q: Do you read? If so what is your favorite book?
A: Yes! Ender's Game is possibly my favourite, but I've only read about two books I didn't like, so it's hard to say for sure.

Q: Who is your favorite author?
A: Maybe Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Q: What is your favorite movie?
A: I really like the Coen brothers, and also Quentin Tarantino. Aside from them, I also really like In Bruges. I like movies with surprising plots or depressing endings, or movies that are really campy.

Q: If you had a choice, would you vote for Sarah Palin, or a retarded monkey that is prone to violence?
A: Probably Sarah Palin. She is respected so little she wouldn't be able to do anything, whereas a retarded monkey still has sharp claws.

Q: Do you play any instruments?
A: Guitar and bass guitar.

Q: Do you play or watch any sports? If so what, and what are your favorite teams?
A: I don't play anything anymore, and I don't have any favourite teams.

Q: If you could be who ever you wanted to be, who would you be? And why?
A: I'm pretty cool, I'd probably choose me.

Q: Favourite type of music? Favourite band? Favourite song?
A: Rock. Jump Little Children. "Cath..." by Deathcab for Cutie.

Q: Why?
A: BECAUSE I SAID SO!

Q: What's your favorite colour?
A: Green. Or blue. Or sometimes red.

Q: What's your favourite meal?
A: Burritos

Q: What's your favourite drink?
A: Grapefruit juice.

Q: What's your favourite dessert?
A: An orange.

Post subject: Re: Meet [AM] Anubis
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2014 19:56 

1) Do you have any current goals for Absurd Minds? If so, what are they?

2) What is the story behind your Anubis and Amaroq handles and why did you change from one to the other?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2014 20:05 

Our goal is to continue adding more high quality members and to strengthen our friendships so continue growing into a strong family. I would love to continue adding enough members that we can compete in various leagues. Our ultimate goal is to generate enough content and be a positive enough member of the gaming community that we can start our own league. This would require a large increase in our player base and would also happen to have to include members who would be willing to code an effective anti-cheat client pro bono. I also want the league to be able to be managed and controlled by members - every match ever played in our league would be spectated by a trustworthy admin, and anybody who is rude or unsportsmanlike or cheating would be immediately banned. I want it to be the start of esports as a profession, not a silly game immature little kids participate in. I hate the idea that an esports community has to be rude or derisive, and I want to start a league where being respectful and considerate is not only the norm, but required.

I got the name Anubis because I have always liked Egyptian mythology and canids. Anubis is the jackal-headed god of the afterlife, whose job is to usher people from life to afterlife. I thought it was fitting since I basically kill people in CS and send them to the afterlife. I was Anubis for about five years or so and just got tired of it. When I was a kid one of my favorite books was Julie of the Wolves (because I like canids so much) and one of the wolves in that book was named Amaroq, which is a stylized spelling of the word Amarok, a wolf in Inuit mythology who hunts foolish humans who are out alone at night. Since I tend to be a support player who gets picks of rotators in game, I also thought that was fitting. Plus "Amaroq" just looks fucking bad ass, in my opinion.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2014 21:23 

That's a much better story of my profile name