Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 18:11

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012 22:02 

This person articulates so much better than I why I often rage so hard at video games. And why I hate ESEA. And why I mostly play in Mexican servers where I don't have to talk on mic. And why I never feel comfortable correcting people who call me a dude in game.

And by way of extension, how badly I feel for gay gamers based on things like the acceptance of the word "gay" as a slur in gaming culture. Or blacks for the overabundance of the word "nigger" in games. Gaming really is for the straight white male.

Nerds and male privilege

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012 06:34 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
I haven't clicked on the link yet, but I would like to note that this happens because these people are usually extremely self-conscious and online is the one place where they can say what they want and do whatever they want. Also, "gay" isn't just a slur in gaming culture as we were talking about in the other thread. It is used everywhere which, as you helped enlighten me a bit, isn't a good thing. However, the word "nigger" is mostly a gaming slur because I have NEVER seen a white person walk up to a black person and call them that name, but in gaming it is so common with all these internet thugs. Now I'll read the article lol

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012 12:55 

Lol, I have actually seen a white person walk up to a black person and say that. However, I do live in the south and I do live in Tennessee, which isn't near as bad as some of the other states but does have some residual hate left over. Actually I have seen it happen more than once. The one that stands out in my mind the most was a black girl I knew. This other person we knew for a long time called her a nigger because they didn't like each other anymore and he wanted to insult her.....bad move. She beat the hell out of him. At one point actually swinging him by one arm into the corner of a wall. He has to go to the doctor his back was so fucked up. I bet you money he never used that word again.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012 13:27 

Here's a video on the same subject.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... s-MovieBob

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012 22:01 

that was a good video.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015 13:19 

I made a post on reddit about this issue today. The context was talking about what a toxic community ESEA is. Somebody said "Don't play ESEA if you have a high voice, because then everything you do is wrong. You can get an ace and you did it wrong because you have a high voice" (or something like that). I responded with "And don't ever correct them when they call you a boy." The response to that was obviously "Girls don't exist on the internet." That is what prompted me to post this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive ... ed/csidxut

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015 14:09 

Was it removed? The link doesn't seem to work for me and I'm not sure if that's because I'm on mobile or not.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015 14:10 

Quote:
Was it removed? The link doesn't seem to work for me and I'm not sure if that's because I'm on mobile or not.
Lol I guess so. Only I can see it. I don't know why I even waste my time with reddit.

I'll post it here.
Quote:
I get that "Rule 30" is just a joke and everything, and I'm sure there's somebody reading my reply and thinking "Wow, what a bitch, doesn't she know it's just a joke", so let's do a little thought experiment.

Let's say that every single time you joined a CS:GO game and used your mic, somebody tried to tell you a knock-knock joke. The first time, it's kind of cute. "Knock knock." "Who's there?" "Interrupting cow." Interrupting co-" "MOOO!"

Haha, cute, I haven't heard that one since I was 10.

Except it happens every time you open your mouth. Every single time you play a competitive game and call that a guy pushed cat, you have to play the knock knock joke. Every time you ask for a drop, you have to play the knock knock joke. Every time you call a strat you have to play the knock knock joke.

So what do you do? You stop playing the knock-knock joke. Because even though the joke is completely and totally innocuous, it's getting really fucking annoying to hear it every time you open your mouth.

"Knock knock." "Oh yeah, I've heard that one before, let's push B." "What? Fuck you too, cunt. I bet you're fat and ugly. I bet you're a virgin because nobody wants to even suck off your disgusting faggot dick." "...wtf? Let's just rush B" And then you rush B and your entire team throws flashbangs in your face, stops in front of you, makes you shoot them, and then votes to kick you.

So then you think, "I guess I'll just not talk in game anymore." But it isn't the same. You like CSGO because it's a team game, because you have to communicate with your team to be good. And the game just isn't fun anymore, and you stop playing except with a few good friends in mumble and the entire server muted.

Now, imagine, instead of being an innocuous knock-knock joke, it's a joke that questions your very acceptance into a community that you really want to be accepted into. You've been playing PC games since you were three. You've been playing online games since your family had the internet. You want to participate in online games, and you want to be a part of an actual community of people who enjoy your hobby almost as much as you do. You've become quite good at this game; you've invested time and money into growing the community; you've even met your husband through the game and spend most nights gaming with him because this is your life.

And yet, every time you open your mouth in game, instead of the interrupting cow joke, the joke you hear is "Lawl! You'll never be a part of this community! Haha, you're not real! You will never exist here!" And it's cute at first because haha not a lot of girls play online video games. But it gets annoying much faster than the interrupting cow joke does, because it tells you that fundamentally, regardless of your interest or skill level, regardless of how much time or effort you put into being a part of the community, your vagina makes you incompatible with the community. A piece of meat that you never got to choose, that was chosen for you when your parents had sex, determines a fate of forever being reminded that you don't belong.

And what each of these people probably don't realize - they are probably legitimately trying to be funny. They probably think "Hey, I finally get to use that joke I read a few months ago!" But what they fail to realize is that it's the hundredth time I've heard that joke today. And it just isn't that funny anymore.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015 14:14 

Thank you. I think that's well written in a way that makes it relatable to people who haven't experienced it.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015 14:44 

I couldn't agree with you more. I replied to your post...I hope I don't get up shadow banned for even reading the same post you were lol.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015 12:00 

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. I replied to your post...I hope I don't get up shadow banned for even reading the same post you were lol.
I don't see your response.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015 12:37 

yeah they deleted my post because fuck reddit.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015 12:40 

Quote:
yeah they deleted my post because fuck reddit.
Depending on what you said, it could have been auto-deleted by their bot. Apparently mine got deleted because of the language in it, but after messaging the moderators they over-rode the deletion and approved the post.