Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 24 Nov 2017 08:52

All times are UTC-04:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I need to vent
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014 14:43 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2014 20:30
Posts: 552
* I hate being called controversial just because I don't agree with everyone. We are all unique creatures that all have unique opinions and everyone's thoughts matters. I understand it's a cliche argument but if everyone thought the same this would be a boring place to live in.

* I hate elitism in Counter Strike. Just because you are a higher rank doesn't mean you are a more important person. Global Elites are no more better people than Silver 1s. Silver 1s simply play worse than Globals.

* I hate elitism in Countries. Just because you are from a country with a higher standard of living doesn't make you a better person. This goes for American/Canadian Elitists.

* I hate bigotry as much as the next person, but don't try to stifle freedom of speech. Everyone is entitled to their opinion; regardless if you think they are right/wrong. Censorship is much a solution as closing your ears and shouting La-La-La over and over.

* I hate people who play the victim role when there are ACTUAL victims of more serious shit out there. People recently have gotten a sort of first world problem syndrome.

* I hate people that are close minded. If someone puts a good argument in front of you should at the least take it into consideration.

Thank you for your time.

_________________
<Insert Witty Signature Here>


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014 15:02 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2010 19:07
Posts: 8080
I can't really comment on the rest, but a lot of being controversial is less what your opinions are and more how you express them. Two people with the exact same opinion can be received very differently.

Also, one thing that can help you be less hateful about victims is to realize that pain is not relative to others' experiences. I didn't suddenly not experience X just because that person over there experienced Y.

_________________
[AM] Amaroq
Server list
Donate
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014 15:28 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2014 20:30
Posts: 552
Quote:
I can't really comment on the rest, but a lot of being controversial is less what your opinions are and more how you express them. Two people with the exact same opinion can be received very differently.

Also, one thing that can help you be less hateful about victims is to realize that pain is not relative to others' experiences. I didn't suddenly not experience X just because that person over there experienced Y.
Here is a direct quote from a great book I read on people who play the victim role "Manipulators often play the victim role by portraying themselves as victims of circumstances or someone else's behavior in order to gain pity or sympathy or to evoke compassion and thereby get something from another. Caring and conscientious people cannot stand to see anyone suffering, and the manipulator often finds it easy and rewarding to play on sympathy to get cooperation."

I don't hate victims; just hate people who constantly play the victim role and feel as though they have it so bad when other people have it worse. A lot of people think their first world problems are more serious than actual problems. I understand that Person A didn't suddenly not experience X just because Person B experienced Y. However, a few people that are in my family find the need to say poor me about everything.

To make a long story short, I try to be a victim only when I am really hurt and when it is needed.

_________________
<Insert Witty Signature Here>


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014 15:34 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2010 19:07
Posts: 8080
Oh I'm not saying people don't play a victim to manipulate others. But telling somebody who is upset "others have it worse" just contributes to hatred over something that ultimately you can't control and that ultimately should be inconsequential to your life. In other words, if you let go of your need to determine if people's feelings are somehow objectively justified, you can emotionally disengage to the point that you do not feel hatred for them but also do not feel emotionally invested in having to help them.

_________________
[AM] Amaroq
Server list
Donate
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014 15:36 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2014 20:30
Posts: 552
Quote:
Oh I'm not saying people don't play a victim to manipulate others. But telling somebody who is upset "others have it worse" just contributes to hatred over something that ultimately you can't control and that ultimately should be inconsequential to your life. In other words, if you let go of your need to determine if people's feelings are somehow objectively justified, you can emotionally disengage to the point that you do not feel hatred for them but also do not feel emotionally invested in having to help them.
I completely agree.

_________________
<Insert Witty Signature Here>


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014 16:12 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2010 19:21
Posts: 4845
I couldn't agree more with this. The only thing I would comment on is the free speech. I love free speech. I think you have the right to say ANYTHING you want to my face.....with that being said. I think a lot of people (not saying you do) often hide behind freedom of speech and don't begin to fathom what all in entailed with freedom of speech. If you wanna call me every nasty word in the book and say you slept with my mom and all kinds of other ruthless things, that's fine you have the right to that, but you also have the right to ALL the consequences involved with saying what was just said. If that means my fist knocking your teeth out, then so be it. Freedom of speech means freedom from the government persecuting you for what you say, but it doesn't say freedom from consequence. I wish more people realized that. Too many people say things controversial just to get a rise out of someone, well you get a rise out of the wrong person and shit can happen.

anyway good thread.

_________________
I'm so official, like a dealer with a pistol or referee with a whistle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014 22:51 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2010 22:53
Posts: 2972
Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Understanding that this a vent thread, I'm going to make this post anyway:
Quote:
We are all unique creatures that all have unique opinions and everyone's thoughts matters.
I think is not true. Yes we all have opinions. Few people have unique opinions and not everybody's thoughts matter at every time. I think this might be part of why people call you controversial. You are strongly opinionated, which isn't positive or negative, but you occasionally speak your opinion when it isn't necessary or is irrelevant.
Quote:
This goes for American/Canadian Elitists.
Is this actually a thing? I've only ever seen people defend Canada from Americans, never saying Canada is the best country.
Quote:
But don't try to stifle freedom of speech. Everyone is entitled to their opinion; regardless if you think they are right/wrong. Censorship is much a solution as closing your ears and shouting La-La-La over and over.
I agree with what serial said. I agree with this statement except I think you are missing part of it. EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion. That means, yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but if I disagree or get angry, I am entitled to tell you "stfu your opinion sucks", if that happens to be my opinion.
Quote:
* I hate people that are close minded.
* I hate people who play the victim role when there are ACTUAL victims of more serious shit out there. People recently have gotten a sort of first world problem syndrome.
I have to say, this bothers me, and you are wrong. There's no arguing about it. What you said is very close minded. If somebody gets raped and has trauma from that, you can't go tell them to suck it up because at least you have food on the table. As somebody who travels, everybody, everywhere in the world, has different problems that all lead to the same mental anguish.

You don't get to live anybody else's life. That means that you don't know what they are going through. Attempting to cut their problems short will only serve to damage them more and reflect poorly on yourself. Don't confuse some people playing the victim role with anything else.

Most of us have been through enough shitty things to tell you that you will be a victim of circumstances at some point in life. Whether you actually play the role of the victim or get up and do something about the situation is 2 different things.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2014 18:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2014 20:30
Posts: 552
Quote:
Understanding that this a vent thread, I'm going to make this post anyway:
Quote:
We are all unique creatures that all have unique opinions and everyone's thoughts matters.
Quote:
I think is not true. Yes we all have opinions. Few people have unique opinions and not everybody's thoughts matter at every time. I think this might be part of why people call you controversial. You are strongly opinionated, which isn't positive or negative, but you occasionally speak your opinion when it isn't necessary or is irrelevant.
Response: What? I speak my opinion when the topic is being talked about, not when it isn't necessary or is irrelevant

Quote:
This goes for American/Canadian Elitists.
Quote:
Is this actually a thing? I've only ever seen people defend Canada from Americans, never saying Canada is the best country.
Response: Google is your friend. https://www.google.com/search?q=why+canada+is+better&oq
Quote:
But don't try to stifle freedom of speech. Everyone is entitled to their opinion; regardless if you think they are right/wrong. Censorship is much a solution as closing your ears and shouting La-La-La over and over.
Quote:
I agree with what serial said. I agree with this statement except I think you are missing part of it. EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion. That means, yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but if I disagree or get angry, I am entitled to tell you "stfu your opinion sucks", if that happens to be my opinion.
Response: Agreed
Quote:
* I hate people that are close minded.
* I hate people who play the victim role when there are ACTUAL victims of more serious shit out there. People recently have gotten a sort of first world problem syndrome.
Quote:
I have to say, this bothers me, and you are wrong. There's no arguing about it. What you said is very close minded. If somebody gets raped and has trauma from that, you can't go tell them to suck it up because at least you have food on the table. As somebody who travels, everybody, everywhere in the world, has different problems that all lead to the same mental anguish.
Response Part 1: I was referring to social justice warriors not rape victims. That's putting words in my mouth.
Quote:
You don't get to live anybody else's life. That means that you don't know what they are going through. Attempting to cut their problems short will only serve to damage them more and reflect poorly on yourself. Don't confuse some people playing the victim role with anything else.
Response Part 2:
What are you saying? I can critique someone based on their actions. I don't understand what you are saying.
Quote:
Most of us have been through enough shitty things to tell you that you will be a victim of circumstances at some point in life. Whether you actually play the role of the victim or get up and do something about the situation is 2 different things.

Response Part 3:
I agree

_________________
<Insert Witty Signature Here>


Last edited by -r0b07 on 24 Aug 2014 19:15, edited 2 times in total.

Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2014 18:34 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2010 19:07
Posts: 8080
You messed up some quotes there and I'm super confused.

_________________
[AM] Amaroq
Server list
Donate
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2014 19:15 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2014 20:30
Posts: 552
Quote:
You messed up some quotes there and I'm super confused.
Fixed. Hopefully.

_________________
<Insert Witty Signature Here>


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2014 10:55 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2012 23:06
Posts: 300
Location: 5860 Kirk Rd, Canfield, OH 44406
Robot you talk to much

_________________
Walk through life and pay attention...


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2014 11:40 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2014 20:30
Posts: 552
Quote:
Robot you talk to much
I felt that since people don't want to hear a rambling opinion in Mumble, that my rambling opinion would fit better here.

_________________
<Insert Witty Signature Here>


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2014 11:45 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2010 19:07
Posts: 8080
Well, he didn't say you type too much. Lol

_________________
[AM] Amaroq
Server list
Donate
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: I need to vent
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014 16:24 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2012 23:06
Posts: 300
Location: 5860 Kirk Rd, Canfield, OH 44406
No no no you type too oops much

_________________
Walk through life and pay attention...


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC-04:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited