Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 09:55

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 04:54 

So I'm looking to play CS again and I haven't played since 2002. I built a computer a few years ago which is still quite fast and perfectly fine for the things I use it for, but it isn't a gaming machine. When I get home, I can post my hardware specs to see if anything can be used to play CS:GO.

I want to get up and playing as quickly as possible, so my thought is that it might be easier to purchase some of the same hardware that you guys currently use and like, rather than doing a lot of independent research. So I'd love to know what specific hardware you guys are using and/or recommend. The machine would only be used to play Counter Strike, so I don't need any hardware that goes beyond that.

Also, is there a preferred place to purchase the CS:GO game? I've found a few places that sell it for $14.99, but I also heard mention of a sale recently. I like to get the best value possible on the hardware, but I'm not really on a budget either.

Thanks a bunch!

Gavin

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 12:21 

Definitely purchase CS:GO through steam. No matter where you purchase it, you'll have to activate it through steam, which means you're saving yourself a step just by purchasing it from there directly.

Here is my pertinent hardware. With this set up I get around 150fps in game playing at 1920x1080 on low settings.
CPU: i7-2700K (4 cores, 8 threads, at 3.80GHz)
GPU: nVidia GTX 560Ti
RAM: 8GB

Right now, GO is suffering from severe optimization problems. serialp0rt in our clan has a GTX 770 and only gets around 200fps in game. Hopefully the devs optimize it soon because with this video card I used to get around 250-300 on every map.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 13:21 

i7 2600k @ 3.40GHz, 4 cores 8 threads
2 (Radeon HD 6790) but i only use one because of you crossfire them, full screen in games no longer work :(
16gb of Ram
I play on 1024x768 and get around 150-200 on a good server and on bad servers i get 90-110

16gb Ram
Razer Deathadder
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Steelseries QCK+ XL Navi Edition (Heavy)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 14:40 

Thanks guys!

Amaroq - why did you switch from the GTX 700 to the one you have now?

Also, what mice and keyboards do you guys use? I know Amaroq gives very nice tips on which types to buy and avoid in his new Guide for new players, but I'm just curious if you guys have specific models you really like.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 15:13 

I've never had a GTX 700.

I have a Razer Deathadder and a Razer BlackWidow. I do not recommend either. The BlackWidow feels flimsy, and I hate the synapse 2.0 software you have to use with newer DeathAdder models.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 15:56 

I have the same things as Anubis, I think they are great, the blackwidow doesn't feel flimsy to me and the software is fine, the shape of the deathadder fits very well in your hand

I would recommend getting a nice and big mouse pad, like the steelseries QCK+
http://shop.steelseries.com/us/surfaces ... -plus.html

This is the one that i use

16gb Ram
Razer Deathadder

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 17:23 

Quote:
I've never had a GTX 700.
Sorry I misread your comment above thinking when you said "with this video card" you were talking about the GTX 700 and not the 560Ti you listed.
Quote:
I would recommend getting a nice and big mouse pad, like the steelseries QCK+
http://shop.steelseries.com/us/surfaces ... -plus.html
Thanks, this mouse pad looks nice and i think I will get it.

I'm slightly overwhelmed with the thought of building a gaming machine. I built a computer 3 years ago but I've never built a gaming PC. The system I used back in 2001 was built by a friend of mine. I guess I'm mostly afraid of purchasing parts that aren't fully or ideally compatible with one another. I want to get playing as soon as possible, but I don't want to run into big problems putting the machine together. As a result, I'm considering buying a bundle like the 3 I listed below. Please let me know if you guys think any of these look decent or if I should look for something different. Thanks as always for the help!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... bo.1518321

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... bo.1326097

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... bo.1459755

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 17:55 

Was specs does your current computer have? If it's only a couple years old, it might be fine with a new video card. I built mine in 2011 and haven't made any upgrades to it since then.

EDIT: On the other hand, those bundles are all amazing and I'm guessing you're not hurting for cash if that's what you're thinking of buying, so... GO FOR IT. :D

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 20:14 

In my opinion the third one is the best, because of the GPU and CPU

770 and 4770k will get you a shit ton of fps

In addition, Anubis and I use 144hz monitor's, they are expensive but they help a lot, here is the one we use
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236313

16gb Ram
Razer Deathadder

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014 20:19 

Quote:
In my opinion the third one is the best, because of the GPU and CPU

770 and 4770k will get you a shit ton of fps

In addition, Anubis and I use 144hz monitor's, they are expensive but they help a lot, here is the one we use
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236313
Oh yeah, I would highly recommend skimping on something else (maybe less ram or a less awesome case) just so you can buy a 144hz monitor.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014 20:32 

Ok, I just got home from a trip.

Here are my computer specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H55M-S2V
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07 GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Video Card: built in video off the motherboard, i do not have a separate card installed
Current Resolution: 1920 X 1080

Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio (Logitech)
Mouse: Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse
Keyboard: Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236117
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811147153

So what do you guys think? Will I need to build a whole new system or can this be upgraded?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014 20:49 

You'll definitely need a video card, and probably a new cpu, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014 20:54 

I see no reason for you to change CPU and motherboard if you are just starting out. The game is not optimized and there are varying degrees of performance on similar hardware levels.

As long as your power supply is capable, I would get a decent video card around the $125-150 range for now. The video card can be decent enough to carry onto a new system if needed. Focus on getting rid of the wireless peripherals. Any keyboard that has anti-ghosting/nkey rollover will be fine for now but a good mouse and mousepad are vital. Onboard sound honestly is fine as long as you set everything up for stereo and use a decent stereo headphone solution.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014 21:05 

^^ Listen to this man, not to me.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014 00:53 

Quote:
I see no reason for you to change CPU and motherboard if you are just starting out. The game is not optimized and there are varying degrees of performance on similar hardware levels.

As long as your power supply is capable, I would get a decent video card around the $125-150 range for now. The video card can be decent enough to carry onto a new system if needed. Focus on getting rid of the wireless peripherals. Any keyboard that has anti-ghosting/nkey rollover will be fine for now but a good mouse and mousepad are vital. Onboard sound honestly is fine as long as you set everything up for stereo and use a decent stereo headphone solution.
Thanks for your thoughts! This sounds like a pretty good idea, actually. I like the idea of purchasing just a mouse, mouse pad, video card and maybe a keyboard and see how the game plays first. I can always upgrade and buy more parts later if needed. This would also allow me to get up and running and playing quicker.

Here is the power supply I have, should this work?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182072

I will post again later with potential video cards and peripherals before I buy them.

Thanks guys!

Also, what kind of ping do most players have on your public servers? I pinged your server from my home computer and mostly got results from 53-63 ms. Do you think that is adequate to play competitively?

One more thing I just remembered... I have a $300 pair of BOSE QuietComfort 15 noise cancelling headphones. I use them to listen to music but I also can use them while flying because I have a special aviation microphone adapter that plugs into them. Is there a microphone adapter that I could purchase to plug into these headphones to use while playing CS?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014 11:04 

Yeah, your setup is decent enough. You should be able to play GO with an I-3. You aren't gonna pull 300+ frames or anything, but you don't need to either. 50-60 should be fine. Our server is in chicago and we make sure to never load them down with plugins, in fact if its not a deathmatch server, we literally have no plugins on it. We try to keep them as vanilla as possible for good reg. Unless you are wanting to play games at their highest video settings with really high fps then I would do what jero said and just upgrade as you go along.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014 11:07 

Quote:
Also, what kind of ping do most players have on your public servers? I pinged your server from my home computer and mostly got results from 53-63 ms.
That's a perfectly acceptable ping. I get about 45 to it, but the 50-60 range is perfectly playable. I generally try not to play in servers where I have above a 75 or 80, but the lag compensation in CS:GO actually favors those with higher pings, so really you could play with a much higher ping and be fine.
Quote:
s there a microphone adapter that I could purchase to plug into these headphones to use while playing CS?
Just get one of these. It clips right to the cord of the headphones and sounds just fine.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014 13:00 

Yea the PSU is more than enough. Also, those Zalman mics really jumped up in price, a shame as they were a fantastic bargain. For that price I would just get a headset like these:

Plantronics Audio 355 Funny29 in our community currently uses them and I used to have a pair. They are very decent.

As for video card, a Radeon 7790 seems like the best bang for buck under $150, unless you can find a cheap 7850 around still.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014 19:01 

Thanks guys again for all the great info!

Based on the feedback I've gotten, what I'm most interested in right now is:

- A video card that is compatible with my system that I can use for the next 2-3 years.
- Mouse
- Mousepad (the SteelSeries QCK+ posted above looks like a winner)
- Keyboard
- Microphone (Zalman mic above looks good. True, the Plantronics headset is a bit cheaper, but wouldn't I be better off using the $300 Bose headset I already own by just attaching a mic?)

Please post any specific suggestions you have for these items above.

I also have a thread going in the CSGO Steam Forums and have been getting feedback from there. As soon as I can decide on which parts to buy, I will be placing an order, and then just waiting on shipping time to be able to login and play!

NOTE: I'm not on a budget. I just don't want to spend more than CSGO will require. So I would like to purchase the parts necessary so that I don't feel like I'm at a competitive disadvantage.

P.S. Is there a good website to use that will show me the cheapest place to order a specific part once I know exactly what part I want?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014 19:28 

http://pcpartpicker.com/ will allow you to pick parts at the cheapest places possible if you already know what parts you want.

This thread has a good list of mice. You really can't go wrong with any of those.

For a keyboard, I would suggest any mechanical keyboard. I could never find these at stores, and ended up having to buy mine online. MAKE SURE YOURS HAS A NUMBER PAD. It will be so much harder to buy weapons without a number pad. I'd say the keyboard is your last priority, though.

I don't know much about video cards so I'll let somebody else answer that.