Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:42

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013 13:36 

CSGO is horribly optimized and it seems like Valve is loading more and more textures(skins) in the game instead of fixing the issues that originally started with the Arms Deal update.

Steam has >65 Million "Active" users, with 6-8 million concurrent users. I would like to think they would want to make the game as accessible to as many of those users as possible. However looking at the Nov 2013 Hardware Survey there is a large percentage that have a less than able hardware to run the game in any decent way.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

~50% Have 4GB or Less RAM (~33 million Potential Users)

~18% Have clock speeds lower than 2.3Ghz (~12 million Users)

~50% Have 2 CPU Cores or Less (~33 million Users)

~35% Have a video card that would considered "Entry-Level" ie. +6 Years old, HTPC Based, Integrated, etc. (~23 million Users)

~60% Have 1GB or Less VRAM with 40% of those having 512MB or less (~39 and ~16 million users respectively)

~28% Have 720p or lower capable displays. (~18 million users)

My point is that they need to have options or modes that allow the end user to limit the garbage they introduce in the game. While I have a decent machine, I don't really want to see 3rd person skins, Christmas lights, and chickens with sheets on. All of these add up and, on top of the post processing, over complicated map visuals, and barely significant graphics settings, limits this game to a small percentage of potential buyers.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013 14:04 

I'm afraid this will turn into TF2, which takes five minutes to load a server and wherein I get about 30fps, all for the sake of pretty items and an in-game economy.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013 15:04 

Valve is ruining the game. It's supposed to be a competitive game and not a game for shits and giggles

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013 15:15 

It can be competitive with skins. They could balance the skins with the game perfectly fine. The problem is that they're not. For about half a year the quality of the game has been sliding very rapidly, to where I now have about half the fps that I regularly played with before the arms deal update. It's fine for me because I still get a lot of fps, but it's horrible for people who were already on the lower ends of recommended specifications. For many people, people who actually like counter strike qua counter strike, the game has become unplayable, and valve is focusing on getting in superficial players who are more interested in the economy than anything else.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 10:26 

Quote:
It can be competitive with skins. They could balance the skins with the game perfectly fine. The problem is that they're not. For about half a year the quality of the game has been sliding very rapidly, to where I now have about half the fps that I regularly played with before the arms deal update. It's fine for me because I still get a lot of fps, but it's horrible for people who were already on the lower ends of recommended specifications. For many people, people who actually like counter strike qua counter strike, the game has become unplayable, and valve is focusing on getting in superficial players who are more interested in the economy than anything else.
I used to play with about 30-40 fps on 5v5/dm. I highly doubt if I was using that machine I could get more than 10-20 fps. Hell since I got my new pc in august I lost quite a bit of fps from the updates(nvidia drivers are 320.18 I think) and now I just usually cap it a bit lower. There are some things that volvo can change, although honestly I am sure they have some "reason" to leave them as is, such as all that damn bloom/hdr/post processing. From what I hear disabling that can give people 30-50 additional fps. That is HUGE for people on significantly lower end machines. 60fps is not great but a hell of a lot better than 30fps! Whats their reasoning though?! I think it was something along the lines of giving it an advantage to players who have those features disabled(more visibility). If that is the case remove it for everyone. Post processing looks like complete shit today in games. Bf3 had all that blue/yellow tint and if you removed it the game actually looked really fucking good. I mean it looked a whole lot better.

For anyone who hasn't seen this reddit thread.

Everything is less shiny, the colors look better imo, and its much easier to see. Once again that could be a greatly welcomed performance boost.

As for the skins having an impact, yeah I don't know why that seems to be such a big deal to valve. Like fuck(sorry for all the cursing, though really this annoys me to no end) I understand that selling more skins = + $$$ and that can go to major tournaments and such... though many of the people who play that game will never see that money. Why not put some of it back into the community? There are many things that the community is requesting and has been for quite some time. I somewhat get their argument for 128tic though are simpler requests like auto mute in lobby, maybe even the ability to set it to PTT? Is that so damn difficult to implement? Or letting us change settings in the lobby? How about the whole someone never connecting issue and having those stupid bots who wont listen. Aspects like those are not nearly as time consuming to change. I wont continue to waste time saying what they should change as we all already know that.

The whole skin chasing thing is stupid. It brings more money and players though that can slowly become a significant amount of the player base. People who play just for the pretty stuff like skins and then eventually hats :? I know Im really new to the series but I know personally I didn't get into cs for skins or unlocks etc.

I understand the market can really help this game grow and develop. I just hope they stay on path with what everyone wanted before arms deal and what they want change since that. Show the community some love... even if its just a few minor updates with requests that have been around for months.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013 02:30 

We really need some lower graphical options. My laptops getting old now and all these updates are finally starting to make run CS:GO under 60 fps even with High Performance enabled on my NVidia Control Panel. My fps has been lowering ever since September and by this rate I won't even be able to play the game anymore.

so this is my signature now

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013 12:42 

it makes me insanely mad every time someone refers to valve as volvo. I absolutely can't stand it.

Edit: I am not mad at you imok or attacking you, I was just letting out a frustration from reading reddit and seeing that so much.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013 12:55 

Especially because the Doland meme died years ago. People who take 4chan memes outside of 4chan are the the people who ruin and kill every funny thing on the internet.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013 14:03 

I agree jero