Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 10:20

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017 07:43 

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=3306119

Somebody on the Steam forums did the amazing job of summarizing ido's conversation about CS:GO in Gabe Newell's AMA.

The two biggest things I noticed - the game won't be ported to Source 2, but they will implement Panorama UI. There is no Operation currently in the works.

Here's a reddit thread that actually includes ido's quotes about each of the things in the SPUF thread.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017 08:11 

So game dead then.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017 09:51 

... what are they even doing? They want this thing to die?

Source 2 would be a hassle but it is an upgrade. No operation in the works and it's already been much longer since any other operation?

What are you even doing, valve? Just going to let this shit die because you're too focused on some VR? Dammit people loved this game.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017 13:16 

I don't know much about source 2 - what would it upgrade that they can't do on the current engine?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017 18:48 

Honestly, at this point I don't care if they port to source. If they fix the UI I think a huge portion of the community will see improved FPS. I mean I can deal with a shot not landing occasionally or stupid shit like that. I just want my game to run correctly all the time. If it ran correctly without fps drops or fluctuations I would be satisfied. I just don't feel like they are addressing the real issues anymore. Sound is better. But it is still incredibly fucked up for me and lots of others. If I slightly turn and love up or down the sounds will flip and show the opposite place they are. That never happened before and I think its 100 percent more detrimental to my game. I want to use it because when it works its more accurate but the other times it will lose me a round. That stuff makes me want to shelve the game. Its been long enough the game should work by now.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017 22:37 

The source engine has gotten really old and it isn't as refined with modern hardware as Source 2 has been. Generally, porting a game to a newer engine would show a great deal of improvement when it comes to performance and the like. Lots of the discussion about the frustration over it is just that, CS:GO performance is incredibly lacking relative to what is actually displayed and doesn't perform as well as titles that have superior visual quality. In general, a Source 2 upgrade will help those with low-grade hardware to stand a better chance against those with upgraded hardware but the ultimate goal is smoothing out the game so FPS fluctuation doesn't happen so abruptly. My personal frustration is that they seemed to have built Source 2 based/around/influenced by the first Source engine. Because of its influence, the ideas and concepts for the engine itself already exist and most likely function the same as in the original Source engine, just updated. It isn't as monumental of a task as building a new game, as some make it seem, but it is still doable and probably should be done.

I personally haven't had an issue with the sound and I see Valve's apparent disregard for what sometimes seems to be the shear existence of the game just baffling. This game generates an incredible amount of revenue yet it seems that on a daily basis they are growing more and more distant to the community. Its just so stupid.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017 07:34 

I just realized my link to the original thread wasn't working, so I updated it.

AFAIK, most of the performance issues are caused by the UI. Switching to Panorama UI will fix many performance issues including abrupt FPS fluctuations.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017 19:29 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
Switching to Panorama UI will fix many performance issues including abrupt FPS fluctuations.
What is this? What does this mean? I've never heard of that. Is it in the normal video settings? Or a console command?

EDIT: I only just clicked on the link to the steam forums. Did anybody say an expected time for the panorama ui?

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017 19:33 

I believe Jero wrote this thread and is probably much more qualified to answer your question than I am.