Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 05:40

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010 17:46 

As I recently mentioned, knowing your teammates is very important. I've spent a lot of time playing with serialp0rt in pub servers, fun servers, and scrims, and I think I know him the best out of any player I've played with. In this thread, I'd like to describe how I use my knowledge of serialp0rt to alter my gameplay to make us a better combined in a team than either of us are individually.

serialp0rt is good with just about any weapon, but every weapon has its limitations. An mp5 is a great short distance weapon, but taking on an opponent long distance will only be worth it if they have a short range weapon too. So I know when serialp0rt buys an mp5, I should try to buy the best long range weapon possible, even if that's only a famas or a galil. serialp0rt will easily be able to handle any short range conflict we enter, but I'll have to be able to cover him from long distance fire.

Similarly, if serialp0rt buys himself a scout, I'll be able to get by quite easily saving my money and just buying an mp5. serial will be able to skillfully take out any long distance enemy, but the slow rate of fire of the scout means he won't be able to do much at the short distance. With my mp5, I'll be able to adequately cover serial in the short range, allowing him to take on the long range enemies without having to worry.

I know from experience that serialp0rt likes to go first. I don't know if it's because he doesn't trust others to go first, or if it's just because he has played so long as a leader that he just takes charge without thinking about it, but there is absolutely no point in me trying to take the lead. So I have developed a nice tactic for covering him from behind. serialp0rt can look in all the major, obvious areas - into the door we're about to enter, across the bridge we're about to cross, up in the sniper spot where people have been camping every round so far - and I can cover the less obvious places. I can look down a side hall, cover our back, and look in the corners. serial can focus on leading the way and clearing the area in front of him, and I can make sure we don't get ambushed or pinched. Since I know serialp0rt's inclination to lead, I was able to adapt my gameplay to compliment that and give him the cover he needs to function effectively.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010 04:42 

To further add to what anubis has posted, I would just like to go over a few other topics.

We both make sure that we know each others angles. By this I mean, that while I don't have to constantly look to see where anubis is in proportion to where I am standing, because we know not to line up. Anywhere there is a line of site for a shot we try to avoid crossing paths. Since anubis is usually following me, I make a mental note as to which side of me she is standing on and am always checking off spots to straff towards without stepping in front of her.

Another thing we like to do, is make sure that when we are attacking enemies we always have the enemy in sight with both players. If you and your partner can see the enemy then you can shoot them. However, by straffing to far to the side or ducking around the corner, you have now left your partner open to fire with no one to provide them help. If one of us ducks around the corner, the other does too, so that we can always cover each other.

An effective method of confusion with sound is something we learned while playing together. Anubis likes to run a lot, while I like to sneak. So while she is giving away her position to the enemy, they only think one person is there. So right as she engages, she backs off and we attack together at once surprising the enemy to the extra person. Sometimes this will throw off the enemy and they won't know who to shoot first, or they will even get caught trying to throw a grenade or flash at you. Or maybe we will throw grenades or flashes through a doorway and then one of us will run away, while the other sits and tries to catch the enemy sneaking behind us. If they think you ran away they might take their guard down for a split second, which can be enough to get the jump on them.

These are just a few of the basic strategies we use while playing. We will continue adding to this and other strategy threads as they get created. If you have any ideas or hints/tips you would like to offer, please post. This is for the public to see, so maybe someone new to the game, can come in here and learn something.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010 11:58 

I thought of something last night too, about why serialp0rt is usually the one to lead the group.

serialp0rt is really good at adjusting his strategies to counter what the enemy is doing. He knows that if the enemy has a bunch of awpers, he should try a certain type of strategy to counter it.

I'm not very good at adjusting my behavior to counter the enemy. On the other hand, I am really good at adjusting my behavior in relation to what my teammates are doing. I probably wouldn't have thought to counter the awpers in the way serial did, but once he picks a strategy to use against them, I'm pretty good at adjusting my strategy to provide him with the best cover.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010 17:32 

just this alone can help me play with you guys better
great explanation....seriously lol

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010 17:43 

Quote:
just this alone can help me play with you guys better
great explanation....seriously lol
Awesome! That's what I like to hear. :D

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010 00:10 

yeah, don't forget to check the members section. I will go into much more detail in regards to certain things I do, and things I have seen with other players. We are trying to get this section of the forums running though. We want people that are new to the game, or just not really ever played competition style, to be able to learn something. I don't necessarily want to give away all my secrets, but I have no problem helping people along. If you come across a good site or video that has info, feel free to post though.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010 02:08 

will do.
already read the members section by the way :D

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010 11:04 

Well, I am off work tomorrow, so I will have some extra time to go and post some things in the members section as far as training. ALSO, now we actually have enough members to start practicing and scrimming, so I will get some scrims set up for us, and I will try to write up a training regimen so that we are all on the same page. I will then try to post in the members only or competition section exactly how practice and everything will be done.