Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 03:23

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010 21:10 

Today, I'll be doing my review on Battlefield: Bad Company 2. If you've played Battlefield 2 online then chances are that you'll feel right at home with Bad Company 2 online. Bad Company 2 plays almost exactly like Battlefield 2 but does it on a much bigger scale. Even though a new game that improves what Battlefield 2 did (with success I might add), the ability to play a 64-player match has been lowered to 32-player matches. However, this is but a mere nitpick and in no way affects the game's overall greatness. Before I start, I'll list the minimum and recommended requirements for this game.

Minimum:
- Operating system: Windows XP (SP3 required)
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 ghz or AMD equivalent
- Memory: 2GB
- Graphics: 256MB video card (Nvidia GeForce 7800GT or ATI X1900)
- Storage: 15GB

Recommended:
- Operating system: Windows Vista or Windows 7
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad or higher or AMD equivalent
- Memory: 2GB
- Graphics: 512MB video card (Nvidia GTX 260 or ATI Radeon 4870)
- Storage: 15GB

Story: The story of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is that you play 1 of the 5 soldiers in your squad on a final mission to recover some weapon of mass destruction. You'll be trekking the world's different locales that range from jungles to deserts to cities fighting endlessly to stop terrorists from getting their hands on this WMD. Now I don't know the entire deal with your squad (I haven't played the 1st Bad Company) but seems like they're more like family than just comrades in arms. Also, these guys have a good sense of humor; from what I've seen in the cutscenes, they joke around as much as they are serious during a fight. Oh and they do fight for you; helping you clear the way to your objectives and they aren't slouches like some of the bots I've seen in different games. The humorous interaction between NCPs as well as the hard-hitting action keep the story from getting bland and boring.

Graphics: One word can sum this up: GORGEOUS! When I say gorgeous I mean Crysis-level gorgeous. If you thought Crysis was a graphics-heavy game, your ass thought wrong. The grass looks damn edible while the trees look absolutely organic. Water looks so good, it'll make you thirsty. The different environments are so realistic that in snow-based maps, you'll have snow kick up, making visibility difficult (same with the desert environments.) Having dirt and smoke kick up because of explosives also impair your sight, thus adding a good level of realism to the game. Physics play a huge part in this game and it is the reason why this game is so intense with hardware specs. In most shooters, if a rocket hit a house wall, what happens? Nothing...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Well, in this game, developer Dice has taken that into account and now walls don't make good protection against explosives. You shoot a wall with a tank round, not only is that wall going to crumble but anyone hiding behind that wall is as good as dead. No more invincible walls, concrete won't save your ass, and you bet your ass that a tree isn't going to do diddly to save you. Everything (or at least 90%) is destructible in this game and this adds a huge amount of realism compared to that broke ass game Modern Warfare 2. Gravity also affects your bullets and thus aiming takes more skill. This affects the snipers more and will have them aiming their reticule above the enemy's head to get that headshot. Rockets, tank rounds, etc. are all affected by gravity and thus adds more to the realism built in this game.

Gameplay: Ah yes, gameplay. There are 4 modes of playing online: Conquest, Rush, Squad Rush, and Squad Deathmatch. Conquest is basically capturing key points on the map (usually 3-4 points on a map) and holding them until the enemy team's point count go down to zero. How this is accomplished is by: 1) Killing enemy soldiers and 2) holding more points than your enemy. Holding onto more key points makes the enemy's point count go down faster and yours slower. Rush is offensive team vs. defensive team. On the offense, you begin with a total of 100 points. Each time a soldier is killed, that team loses a point. The defensive team has an infinite amount of spawn points and they spawn inside a base with 2 M-com stations. These stations are to be defended and if the enemy manages to take down both, they regain their points and the defensive team is pushed back to a new base. This keeps happening until the last base loses its M-com stations thus declaring the offensive team the winners. If the defending team manages to kill all 100 soldiers that spawn without losing 2 M-com stations, then they are declared the winners. Squad Deathmatch is basically having 4 squads each made up of 4 people in a deathmatch-style game. I don't know much about Squad Rush but from the sound of the name, it'll employ the Rush-style gameplay. Also, this game uses a ranking system very similar to what Call of Duty employs. On top of that, you have 4 classes (called "kits" in the game) made up of different fighting styles. You have the Assault class which uses assault rifles as their primary weapons and can deploy ammo kits on the battlefield to resupply you and fellow teammates with ammo. Their special weapon is the grenade launcher attached to their rifles. The Medic class is exactly what its name implies. Their primary weapons are light machine guns and they can deploy med kits thus healing you and any ally in range. They also have defib units to revive fallen comrades as well as kill enemy soldiers. Next is the Engineer class. Their primary choice of weapon is the sub-machine gun and have the ability to repair vehicles. Their special weapons are anti-tank weapons (RPG, rocket launchers, etc.) Last is the Recon class. Primary weapons for them are the sniper rifles while their special weapons are a bit odd for their type. You can choose either C4 explosives or you can choose the ability to call in mortar strikes by aiming with the special goggles. In this game, there are a total of 50 levels to rank up to and it takes a while to level up. When I say it takes a while, it really does take a good amount of time. Plus, the more you use a certain class, the more points you gain to get an unlockable (the amount of unlockables in this game are a lot!) So this game will definitely have you replaying like crazy. Vehicular combat is really great in this game and the amount of vehicles is outstanding. You have: helicopters, jet skis, patrol boats, tanks, humvees, and 4-wheel motorcycles.

Sound: What more can I say about the sounds? The weapons sound mean and fit the game. Hearing a sniper rifle go off will have you crouching or running back for cover. Tanks shooting off will have you hauling ass. There is no way for a single person to take on a tank and live (I've tried countless times and failed each time.)

Misc: There are a few things about this game that makes me nag but most are connection problems. Sometimes, it won't let me connect to a server and other times, it won't let me log into my account. But after EA launched a patch that is supposed to help rid of this problem, the connection errors seem to have gone away (for the most part.) Another problem would be the random crashing as well as the game kicking me out at random times. I don't know if this is on my system's part or not but I'm mostly pointing my finger at DirectX 10. No other game tends to crash or kick me out but this one and Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X (when ran under DX10.) Well, the problem may be random but it really doesn't happen too much.

All in all, if you're wanting a game with the modern combat theme without wanting to play Modern Warfare 2 (believe me, hackers roam that game a lot) then I definitely suggest this game over MW2. Why? First off, DEDICATED SERVERS exist in Bad Company 2 and second, Punkbuster makes sure hackers stay out. These 2 reasons are more than enough to have me run from MW2 and live in BC2. BC2 is like having the best stuff of MW2 and mixing it with Crysis' graphics.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010 01:41 

best game i've played in a while.....you gotta try it!

oh hey guyz if you own a copy of this game or plan to get it soon, feel free to visit our newest PM server...I would love to have you guyz as honorary admins for it :) here is the IP if you decide to check it out..

P.S Sam i need to get your info to give you the full admin to it!

*|P||M|* Battle Field Bad Company 2 Destructive Server
66.154.116.164:19567

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010 12:19 

I was playing COD:MW2 and somebody messaged me asking if I liked it. I said no, it was too realistic and thus not fun enough. THey said I should play BC2 instead. Is that a good assessment?

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010 17:13 

Bad Company 2 is more realistic than Modern Warfare 2. With Modern Warfare 2, the bullets are instant contact whereas in Bad Company 2, it like 1 millisecond for your bullet(s) to hit your target. With the gravity in affect, sniping is harder and just aiming your crosshairs right at your enemy won't be a successful hit. You'll have to aim a bit higher thus having the bullet drop onto your target. Basically put, Modern Warfare 2 is more of an arcade style of shooter compared to Bad Company 2.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010 12:52 

hahahaha i love your descriptio...."you ass thought wrong" lmao!!

well yea i play it on the 360 but....hmmm well there is alot to unlock but once you reach rank 22 you could pretty much unlock everything....still fun either way

and squad rush is just the same as rush except the maps are smaller and its only two four man teams