Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 08:27

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Spec Ops:The Line
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013 14:19 

Wow, it's been a while since I last did this! The reason why I chose this game over the other games that I have completed since my last review is because of the Metacritic score it got (76/100.) I held off my purchase of this game for a while after adding it to my wishlist because of the score but I finally purchased it after Anubis' recommendation.

Story: You are the captain of a Delta Force squad leading 2 other men into a battered-down version of Dubai. You've been assigned to search for a downed military group known as the 33rd and its leader Konrad. What begins as a normal investigation later becomes a fight for survival and truth. This is where the game excels and passes all my expectations of this game. This isn't your average Call of Duty-style story and is very gritty and dark. It's so gritty and dark that one scene in Spec Ops makes Modern Warfare 2's controversial airport scene look like child's play. This game's story will screw with your mind a lot.

Graphics: This game is beautiful for its caliber. While nothing stunning like a lot of the blockbuster hits, it can still hold its own in terms of graphics. The scenery is very vibrant and rich and it is seriously like you're looking at Dubai from a sort of a window. There were some graphical issues but it was all just clipping issues (soldiers' arm sticking out of a box, wall, etc.)

Gameplay: I love games that offer the gameplay style like Spec Ops: being able to take cover behind walls and shooting around the corners. The one thing that kind of upset me with the gameplay were the controls. Even with a keyboard+mouse combo, they were quite clunky. There were many times where my controls got me killed and no matter how much I changed my configuration, I could not get used to it.

Sound: Man, if you couple this game with 7.1 surround sound headphones, it's a similar experience if you were to watch Black Hawk Down in 7.1 surround sound. To put it simple, this game's sound effects were damn good!

Overall: This game has a fantastic story with a gameplay that I truly love. What I thought needed some work were the controls. I fumbled quite a bit with them but got through the game. I give this game an 8.5/10.