Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 11:08

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Crysis (original)
PostPosted: 05 May 2010 20:17 

Wow, it's been a while since I last did a review and now I'll be doing a review on Crysis. I was playing Crysis a couple weeks back and decided that it was time now to put in my 2 cents.

Minimum Requirements:
- Operating System: Windows XP (with all service packs)
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (2.8ghz for XP, 3.0ghz for Vista) or AMD equivalent
- Memory: 1GB for XP, 2GB for Vista
- Graphics card: 256MB DirectX 9.0 compliant
- Storage: 12GB of hdd space

Recommended Requirements:
- Operating System: Windows Vista
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.0ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
- Memory: Same as minimum requirements
- Graphics card: 512MB DirectX 10.0 compliant
- Storage: Same as minimum

Story: The story of Crysis begins with a radio transmission from Dr. Helena Rosenthal; daughter of the chief archaeologist that was sent to the Lengshin Island due to discovery of an ancient ruin. They are then kidnapped by the North Korean military and forced to continue their research under the supervision of the North Korean military. You play as a Special Forces soldier under the codename of Nomad, 1 of the 5 soldiers sent in to investigate and rescue the group of researchers. The story is interesting but I have mixed feelings about it because in the midpoint of the story, there's a huge uhhhhh...turning point which made me ask myself: "What the fuck am I really doing on this island?" All in all though, it's not a bad story but could've been better.

Graphics: When Crysis first came out to the market, it was known to be a computer killer because of just how heavy this game was. It was hard to even get 30 frames per second SOLID with the computer technology back then but now, getting 30 frames solid is easy. However, trying to turn everything to the max (highest settings WITH AA) AND still get 30-60 frames is nearly impossible. The graphics in Crysis are just gorgeous and vibrant. Everything feels and looks so realistic that it's no wonder that it was known to be a computer killer. The sad part is that this is the only area that Crysis shows its muscles.

Gameplay: In Crysis, you are equipped with a special suit known as the nanosuit. With this suit, you can utilize special abilities that enhance your combat effectiveness and also help you play the game in different styles. For example, with the cloak mode enabled, you can stalk your enemies and go straight Predator on their asses or use cloak to cover yourself while you're sniping. There's the strength mode that lets you hit your enemies much harder, jump much higher, and throw objects with more force. This allows you to bitch-slap North Koreans around, jump onto roofs and take your enemies out from higher position, or hurl heavy objects like a barrel at them and kill them with one shot. Strength mode also helps you stabilize your shots and thus, have your rounds hit your target (especially useful when sniping.) Speed mode helps you run MUCH faster, switch guns more quickly, and climb ladders faster. However, running into a concrete wall or such while in speed mode can kill you (I've done this too many times.) Weapons are plentiful and can be modified the way you want. However, you must first obtain the mod in order to attach it to your weapon. Vehicles are a great way to get to places faster and that's about all they are good for.

Misc: While this game is great, it is filled with bugs and glitches. There were times when I accidentally got myself into a glitched area and it instantly killed me. Another glitch-filled moment is when I blew up an enemy hummer and a rim rolled at my feet and killed me; resulting in a WTF! moment. There were plenty of those kinds of moments and each one pissed me off to great extent. Other types of glitches were dumb bots, next objective not showing up even though I cleared the current objective (and thus making me restart the game.) Random bot spawning behind me was also pretty common. Honestly, this game is good but these glitches and bugs make me want to avoid playing it (although it's not TOO troubling for me.)

Online: Ah yes, online multiplayer. I've never really delved deeply into the multiplayer aspect of Crysis (original) because Crysis Warhead online does it on a bigger and better scale. So I really can't say much as to this area.

Conclusion: Beautiful game with fantastic scenery and good gameplay. Good but not great and the reason being is because of the random dumbass glitches and bugs. I don't like the fact that a humvee rim rolling at my feet killed me off or having random bots spawn behind me while I'm in the bushes hiding and giving away my position. So if you're one of those people that love a game for scenery and pretty good style of gameplay and don't mind random shit ruining you, then give this game a try. You don't need a super-duper UBER computer system to play this because it looks great even on medium settings (my previous 8600 GT handled it on medium with barely any lag.) If you want Crysis for the online aspect, I recommend getting Crysis: Warhead (or even better, the Crysis: Maximum Edition.)

Post subject: Re: Crysis (original)
PostPosted: 06 May 2010 19:04 

gonna do one for Crysis 2 sometime in the future?

PostPosted: 06 May 2010 20:37 

Most definitely Bunny. Once I get my hands on that game and beat it, I'll do a review on it and let you guys know what's good and what's bad. Later on, I'll be doing a Crysis: Warhead review.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010 20:43 

ooOOOoooo cool cool
great review by the way