Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 06:52

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010 13:09 

For my 2nd review, I will be going over Vegas 2. This game is truly a unique game because it brings a few awesome gameplay elements not found in many of its competitors. However, it does also bring some negatives and I shall explain what those are in greater detail.

Requirements: For this section, I will post the Steam store page for this game. This should make it a bit easier on me and will give you price info.

In my opinion though, this game shouldn't require an ultra beefy PC (unless you want full-blown eye candy.)

Story: You return to your role as team leader Bishop who is on the hunt for terrorists threatening to use explosive and chemical weapons in Las Vegas. As with a lot of Clancy's stories, expect some plot twists. The story overall is good compared to some of the games I've played and movies that I've seen.

Gameplay: This game brings some very unique ideas that I've never seen in most first person shooter games. Probably the most innovative and truly useful idea is the cover system. Basically hold the right mouse button near a wall and your character will hide behind it and the camera changes to a third person view to give you the ability peek around corners and take shots without exposing much of your body. Another very nice gameplay idea is the ability to issue commands to your AI partners. You can have then breach & clear a room, take cover behind objects, have them heal downed teammates, toss grenades at tagged locations, etc. Lastly, the whole "level up" system is huge! Depending on what difficulty you play on, you get a default amount of experience points for each kill. Now, there is the A.C.E.S system that awards you with extra bonuses when you level up a certain area. This system is split into 3 areas: Assault, CQB, and Marksman. Each time you level up in these areas, you are awarded with either an EXP. points boost or an unlock (and there are a TON of things to unlock.) The gameplay alone in this game makes me want to replay it so often.

Sound: The sounds for the weapons are LOUD. Nothing sounds wimpy in this game and all of it help the game feel beefy. There is a glitch in the sounds however and that'll be explained later.

Graphics: The graphics are great and give off a certain feel to certain textures in the game. A wooden crate gives off a wooden feel, painted surfaces reflect light when you look at them at different angles (same with the weapons) and the landscape has an architectural vibe. There are certain clipping issues in this game and that'll be explained later as well.

Misc: Aside from this game's kick ass factors, it does have its share of problems. The most common is the infamous sound glitch when playing multiplayer. Clients that are connected to the host are the only ones who are affected while the host isn't affected at all. Basically what happens is during a firefight, the weapon sound starts to go in a loop and continues throughout until A) the client leaves and re-enters. This is a temporary solution and can start up all over again. Or B) the client respawns. Respawns have helped me when I was affected but only rarely did it work. Other problems with the online aspect of the game includes network connection problems (never could figure out why it kept giving me shit.) Graphical issues are minor problems and they tend to fix themselves. One instant was when the game loaded, my character was holding the gun lop-sided. I was staring at my screen like; "WTF!" but after moving my mouse a little bit, everything aligned normally. You also run into clipping issues but that's common in games. Last problem that I can think of is how dumb the AI acts. They'll stand around taking hits, they won't cross over certain obstacles, or they just randomly fire at shit.

[youtube][/youtube]

Overall, I give Vegas 2 an 8.25 out of 10.0 and here are my reasons:

Pros:
- Unique gameplay
- Excellent co-op modes
- Tons of unlockable content
- Beautiful graphics
- Requirements aren't high compared to other games

Cons:
- Infamous sound glitch and other glitches as well
- Game bugs
- AI can be a stupid ass
- Connection problems

Last edited by DimSumGuy83 on 28 May 2010 00:47, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010 16:19 

I've always loved the Rainbow Six franchise...

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010 16:52 

The best part about this game is the Terrorist Hunt mode. The objective is simple: kill all the terrorists on the map. What's NOT simple is trying to kill them since they are scattered all over the map and the sheer maximum amount you can put in a game (the highest I've seen is 45.) Now, you can try to complete your mission by yourself, with the 2 A.I-controlled teammates, or 3 more players (the best way to play Terrorist Hunt.) Also, when you put the settings on the hardest difficulty with the maximum number of bots allowed on a map, you better have A LOT of patience because these terrorists don't fuck around. Another cool thing about Vegas 2 is that you can play the Story mode with 1 more human player (thus making your team size to 4.) Here's a short clip of me and Demara kicking ass:

[youtube][/youtube]

Last edited by DimSumGuy83 on 22 Jul 2010 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010 06:00 

I agree. this game is realy addicting. terrorist hunt can be relay hard if your dont work together. the bots are like trained elite guards. they work very well together and well come at you from multiple angles lol. the single player/co-op player has a pretty good story as well. its a realy good game and i would recomend it, and for $10 you cant beat that.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010 11:20 

the original rainbow six is probably the most balanced FPS game I have ever played. Its by far my favorite game ever. I might just have to check this and the first vegas out.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010 11:23 

Yeah, I saw it was only 10 bucks. I might have to get that as soon as I get a job.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010 12:27 

I have this game now. It's pretty darned fun! The offline version is awesome, and I like how it's a bit more simple than the Rainbow Six Three game I played, where you had to do all the planning and tell your people exactly where to flash before you even started playing. I like how you now have the teamwork capabilities to them what to do in the heat of the moment.

I haven't played online yet, so I can't comment on that. But I can tell you why I haven't played online yet - the online play is soooo buggy, I haven't been able to. The game doesn't really seem to like letting me sign in as needed to play online.

So, in other words, it's a great game for the offline play, and I'm sure the online play kicks butt too, but don't buy it with the expectation that you'll be able to play online.

Also, azn, sorry I couldn't play last night. My internet went down (only my internet, not the other computers on the network, so I don't know what the deal was).

PostPosted: 11 May 2010 17:30 

Yes, the online options are VERY buggy and do need a lot of work (I'm putting a lot of hope into Ubisoft to come up with a patch) but Luis and I have tested this game using Hamachi and it works! Hamachi eliminates the need to sign into your Ubisoft account to play online which means that you don't have to run into that "failed to initialize yadda yadda..." message.