Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:37

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011 20:15 

Well, my G500 started acting up after about 3 years of hard work and so I was on the lookout for a new mouse. Before I went with the G700, I took up Serial's suggestion and tried the Razer Deathadder. While I did like the speed, accuracy, and response time of the mouse, what I didn't like was that it was too light and almost had a rather cheap, Chinese-plastic feel to it. Not saying that the Deathadder is a bad mouse (far from it actually since a LOT of gamers regard it as one of the best gaming mice out on the market.) The feel and the shape were a bit awkward for my right hand and after a couple of week's use, I decided to return it. So, I continued to use the G500 (putting away with every ounce of strength it had left until it started to get worse) and started to look at other mice on the market. My potential candidates were: Razer Imperator (for the movable thumb buttons), Razer Mamba 2012 (for the ability to go into either wireless or wired mode, rechargeable, and the dual sensors), Saitek RAT 7 or 9 (new weird looking mice that seemed REALLY comfortable, adjustable counter weights, and customizable body pieces), and finally, the Logitech G700 (for Logitech reliability, dual mode like the mamba, 13 programmable buttons!, PRICE, and it looked very comfortable.) After doing research day after day; reading forums and reviews, watching youtube videos, and finally talking it over with Silent and Lu, I finally decided on the G700.

Man, I am very happy with this mouse and how it functions! The only thing I didn't like about this mouse was the software needed to customize the mouse to my liking (SetPoint SUCKS!) The software is VERY meticulous and wouldn't want to find my mouse even though the drivers were installed correctly. After hours of reading the Logitech forums, I finally got it to work and now I'm extremely happy with how much customization I can do with this mouse.

First off, I'll talk about the layout of the mouse. The G700 has a rough rubber feel to it (kind of like how sandpaper feels but made with rubber) and on the top, there are 7 physical buttons with the mouse wheel that also acts as the 8th. The 3 buttons next to the left click button is used for DPI switching and to check you battery status. The mouse wheel is your standard mouse wheel that you'll find on most gaming mice and will let you scroll through pages horizontally since it tilts left and right, you have the standard right click button and finally, there are the 2 buttons under the scroll wheel. One of them is actually a scroll mode switching button for the mouse wheel while the one under that is used to switch profiles. On the thumb side, you have 4 buttons that you can program to whatever you want via the SetPoint software (perfect for Black Ops while having a button solely for Vent.)

The G700 can be outfitted with several profiles and each individual profile can be customized the way you want it. For example, I created a Black Ops profile and that allows me to use 3 of the 4 thumb buttons (1 for Vent, 1 for grenade tossing, and the last one for special nades.) You can also save these profiles onto the mouse since it has onboard memory. This is very nice since you can take the mouse to another computer and can use any of the profiles saved without the need for SetPoint. I believe the Mamba and RAT 9 have this ability and let me tell you, the ability to save profiles onto the mouse is a very nice thing. You can also save macros onto the mouse but I've never dealt with macros so I never bothered to create one.

Finally, the mouse's performance. With a report rate of 1,000 reports per second, there is little to no lag. Gamers veered away from wireless mice for the sole reason of lag and I'll tell you that this mouse has NO lag (haven't noticed any) but once the battery started getting low, it'll start getting sluggish (which is why the cord exists.) While the battery is rechargeable via the data cable that plugs into the mouse, I felt like buying a few extra rechargeable batteries just so I can switch in emergencies. The battery tends to last long on either battery saving and normal gaming modes but once you switch it to max gaming, have the data cable or extra batteries on hand because you'll be eating through batteries like a fat kid through cake. The speed of the sensor can be set from 200 DPI all the way to a sheer 5,700 DPI (which is insane.) I don't know why Logitech advertises this mouse as an MMORPG mouse (it worked beautifully in Black Ops) but meh, I suppose it's due to the big amount of programmable buttons.

All in all, I love LOVE this mouse and am happy that I went with this. The price is around 74.99 on Newegg while the Razer Mamba 2012 is at a whopping 129.99 and the Saitek RAT 9 goes for around 99.99 (I'm not entirely sure about the pricing on this one though.) If you're out looking for a mouse and want a wireless one without any lag, then try the G700 out.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011 20:47 

Fucking nice review as always.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011 06:42 

Nice.