Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 17:32

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Acer GN246HL 144hz
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015 14:01 

I recently got a 144hz monitor for my birthday and I must say I don't know how I played without. It really is that much more amazing. I describe it to people as watching standard definition television and being told you need to switch to HD. You have always watched SD so it seems fine to you, why would you need better? Then you see what better looks like, and you can't even go back. Anubis owns the Asus 144 hz and she thinks mine looks better. Lets break it down.

PROS:

144hz - Its beyond smooth. You can spin your mouse as fast as you want and you won't get blur. You will be able to pick out minute details while going at full speed. It makes flick shots easier, snap firing a sniper, or those quick 180's when someone sneaks up on you.

Color - Reading reviews for this monitor had me a bit worried since lots of people were complaining about brightness (I will talk about that shortly) and their colors being washed out. Some said the brightness itself caused the color wash out and others just said the colors were not as crisp as say the Asus that anubis has. Well I can tell you for sure after looking at both, (and mind you this is with MY monitor on its default settings, and hers turned to its best settings) that this monitor has twice the color of the Asus. Anubis actually thought I had digital vibrance turned up when its sitting at default as well. All my colors are brighter and more sharp or vivid. I have two Asus 60 hz monitors that have AMAZING color because they are for watching movies and I still think this monitor looks better.

Brightness - This monitor is bright! People warned in some of the reviews that it was too bright, and when I first turned it on I was afraid of just that. After a few minutes I didn't even notice it being so bright. I actually like it this bright. Its not something that will light up an unexplored cave or anything, but its definitely brighter than most monitors and I haven't even tried turning it up. This is still straight out of the box. I have yet to see any leaks of light on my monitor even though some complained of that as well.

CONS:

Movement - This monitor comes with a basic monitor stand. It will tilt forward and back but that is all. The Asus that anubis has will rotate the display so if you want a vertical monitor or if you want easy access to the plugs. Some people will see this as a con, but I use my monitor the same way once its plugged in always so I couldn't care less.

Brightness - Some people might not like how bright it is. I don't really understand how, maybe it hurts their eyes, but I can't imagine an issue with this brightness. Unless you like maxing yours out when you play games, not sure how that would look but I could try and come back and edit my review.

Price - These monitors are still not worth full price in my opinion unless you have money to blow. I got mine on sale for 220$ plus taxes and shipping. It ultimately came out to about 245$. I have seen it go cheaper but I wasn't waiting anymore. Still cheaper than a benq though, and same quality.

Final con - You don't have it yet!

Post subject: Re: Acer GN246HL 144hz
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015 14:18 

Great review, but I'll point out that my monitor is probably not on the best settings. I turned the brightness and gamma up but haven't fiddled with color settings. However, yours looks way better than mine probably ever could. Looking around in the settings I have no idea what I could change to make mine look as good as yours.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015 15:19 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
How do people find it too bright? Couldn't you just turn the brightness down?

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015 15:43 

Well the default brightness setting is probably twice as bright as the highest brightness on my Asus monitor. I really don't get it myself.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015 23:57 

I actually ordered this exact monitor and received it yesterday! So far I love the smoothness and the brightness doesn't bother me either. Great introductory monitor for those looking for the jump to 144hz like myself. Do you have any suggestion for settings that I should play around with and tweak for CS:GO or for general use?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015 08:03 

After I messed with the settings a little, I just prefer the default settings. The quality is set to Graphics which I guess is like a game mode, and my brightness was at like 97 out of a 100. That doesn't bother me at all. I just prefer the default. I didn't touch lightboost either.