Joined: 20 Jul 2013 19:51
Location: Ontario, Canada
|My List (UPDATED FOR OCTOBER 2017)
- Radiohead - OK Computer OKNOTOK 1997-2017
- Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- The Killers - Sam's Town
- For Reasons Unknown
- This River is Wild
- My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The True Live of the Fabulous Killjoys
- Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)
- Vampire Money
- LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
- Dance Yrself Clean
- I Can Change
- Talking Heads - Remain In Light
- Once In a Lifetime
- Houses In Motion
- The Protomen - Act 2: The Father of Death
- Light Up The Night
- Keep Quiet
- Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
- Fill in the Blank
- Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales
- Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
- The Dark of the Matinée
- Take Me Out
- Frank Ocean - Blonde
- King Gizzard & The Wizard Lizard - Flying Microtonal Banana
- Nuclear Fusion
- A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service
- We The People
- Dis Generation
- The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre
- All I Want
- Change the World
- Joy Division - The Best Of (A bit of a cop out, but it's the only release with Love Will Tear Us Apart)
- Love Will Tear Us Apart
- Death Grips - Exmilitary
- Spread Eagle Cross the Block
- Takyon (Death Yon)
- Brandon Flowers - The Desired Effect
- Diggin' Up The Heart
- Can't Deny My Love
- Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
- Biffy Clyro - Opposites
- Modern Magic Formula
- Spanish Radio
- Tame Impala - Currents
- The Less I Know The Better
- The Moment
- Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
- Harder to Breath
- She Will Be Loved
I changed my list a ton. Forgot a ton of albums the first time, some of my tastes changed and I listened to a shit-ton of new albums this past year and a half. I left the original post up if you want to see that.
Just of note, I changed the text colour for the spoiler to be black because with my current forum skin, it was unreadable due to being white on white. Let me know if I should change the colour to something else if you can't read it.
Here's some descriptions of what changed (If you really want to read about the musical tastes of a 20 year old Canadian):
Forgotten Albums From Last Time:
- The Offspring
- I fucking loved Ixnay on the Hombre when I was a kid. All I Want is the only song that should be playing when playing Crazy Taxi. After giving it a re-listen after playing Crazy Taxi, I'm glad to say it still holds up.
- Maroon 5
- Maroon 5 is the definition of selling out. Songs About Jane is one of the best albums of the 2000s showing the artistic talent and raw attitude that the band has. Then they go on to make some of the worst pop albums of the 2000s/2010s that I have ever had the pain of listening too. Thankfully, Songs About Jane is so good that it almost makes up for the disappointment that Maroon 5 became. Almost.
- Franz Ferdinand
- I literally do not know how I forgot them the first time around. Not only is their entire discography great; their self-titled album is one of the best Indie Rock albums of all time. Songs like Michael, This Fire and Darts of Pleasure are classics that I will continue to listen to as I grow older.
- Joy Division
- This was excluded originally because I felt it was a bit of a stretch to bring a best of album into my list. I said fuck it this time around because Love Will Tear Us Apart is a amazing song in every regard. Then the rest of the album is all of the top tier stuff that they put out in the bands short lifetime.
New Albums (Released after April 2016):
- A Tribe Called Quest
- Released November 2016. I only started listening to A Tribe Called Quest in late 2016 thanks to my friend. I would have put Low End Theory on my list but this recent release resonated with me more. Sad that this will be their last album but with the death of Phife Dawg, I'm not sure they even should continue.
- King Gizzard & The Wizard Lizard
- Released February 2017. With a name like that, I'm surprised that they flew under my radar until now. If it wasn't for the good old melon man (Anthony Fantano) giving this album a great review I probably would have skipped it. Glad I didn't because it's one of the most refreshing rock albums of recent years. Takes a ton of psychedelic rock influences from Pink Floyd so if you like them, you might wanna give this album a listen.
- Frank Ocean
- Released August 2016. Blonde is one of the best albums of 2016 with no doubt. Frank Ocean completely blows out his first album (which would have been on the updated list if Blonde wasn't fucking amazing) out of the water.
- Car Seat Headrest
- Released May 2016 (Barely missed the list). Wanna hear angst but with an indie rock twist? Well there are plenty of albums that do that type of sound by Teens of Denial does it the absolute best. Will Toledo's sound makes the album sound almost like a DIY project with a small budget even if it isn't. A great album, trust me.
- A bit of a contradiction, OK Computer actually released back in 1997. The one I listed is actually the 2017 remaster. I put the remaster rather than the original because not only is the remastering on the original songs amazing, but the second disc contains 3 unreleased singles/songs that are some of the best on the entire album. How they were not on the original is a mystery to me but fuck it, they are amazing.
New Listens (Albums released before April 2016, but only listened to it afterwards):
- LCD Soundsystem
- This is Happening is a fucking great album, how did I not listen to this beforehand? Trust me, just listen to the two tracks I listed above (and yes that means all 9 mins of Dance Yrself Clean) and you'll see why. It's a slow burn but holy fuck is it worth it.
- Death Grips
- I listened to them once or twice before but I never paid any attention to Death Grips because I thought they were just a meme band. I was wrong. Death Grips delivers one of the hardest hitting albums of all time. I love this shit.
- Brandon Flowers
- I never gave myself a change to listen front man of The Killers solo work even though they are my favourite band (or should I say were, because Radiohead overtook that place). I'm glad I decided to listen to The Desired Effect as it brings everything I love of The Killers first two albums into one great album. The singles really make this album.
- Biffy Clyro
- Modern Magic Formula was a great song to listen to from NHL 14 but it was only recently that I gave the full album a listen to. Turns out, it's a great album. Who would have though from a artist who's only song I knew was from a hockey video game.
- I started listening to Radiohead when A Moon Shaped Pool came out in early 2016, and while I though it was an amazing album I still wasn't sure to include it on my list. As the year went on I started listening to Radiohead's back catalog and I was missing so much. Every album they put out (except Pablo Honey) can be considered one of the best albums of all time. OK Computer was the album to hook me in so hard that all I could listen to for a month was Radiohead. Let Down is my favourite song of all time and the whole album from start to finish is top tier.
- The Killers
- While Hot Fuss's first six tracks might be some of favourite Killers songs of all time, I believe that Sam's Town is just the better album from start to finish.
- Talking Heads
- Again, while without a doubt say that Road to Nowhere is Talking Heads best song and even may just be my favourite song of all time, Houses in Motion is better because it has no dead points in the album unlike Little Creatures.
- Darren Korb - Transistor Original Soundtrack, Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, Jamie Christopher - Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Original Soundtrack
- I love these albums still. The problem I have is that I need to be in the right state of mind to listen to them. I can't just turn them on when I want like most of the albums on the list.
- Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne, Pusha T - King Push - Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude, Roadgeek - Sugarloaf
- These albums all had one thing in common, one song pushed them up to the top. Unlike Love Will Tear Us Apart with Joy Division, they definitely arn't enough to pull the album towards the top. Then again, the Joy Division album is all good while these albums have a ton of mediocre songs on them.
- Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare, Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now Youngster..., Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation
- These albums are still great. However, I feel as they have been dethroned by other albums in their genres to the point when I listen to these albums, I just wanna switch to my favourites in the genre. For Arctic Monkeys and Los Campesinos, Car Seat Headrest comes to mind. For Bouncing Souls, The Offspring just gets me in the 'I don't care what you say' mood better.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
- I lost a ton of interest in this album which is unfortunate. Can't Stop is still an amazing song but I can't say the same for the rest of the album.
- Fort Minor - The Rising Tide
- I will always have a soft spot of Fort Minor, but this album feels a bit dated at this point.
- Gotye - Making Mirrors
- This one just kinda got beat out by everything else on the list. If I could extend the album to the top 30, it would probably be there.
- Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight
- I will never forget the band which first really got me into music but sometimes the edge is just a bit to much.
i forgot to put a signature when i first joined
so this is my signature now