Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:17

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: c++
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013 20:02 

So my friends and I are gonna make a video game that is 8bit based
We are going to use c++ as our coding and I'm gonna be coding with my friend so anyone have knowledge, cause it would help a lot
Thanks!

16gb Ram
Razer Deathadder
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Steelseries QCK+ XL Navi Edition (Heavy)

Post subject: Re: c++
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013 21:14 

Do you have any experience with the language at all? If not, I would suggest getting a book from the library to at least give you an idea of what is going on. Do you know any other scripting language.?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013 22:02 

c++ for dummies is actually quite a useful book.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013 22:07 

Ok i'll go pick that up at the library, no I don't know any computer language, lol this project is gonna take a long time...

16gb Ram
Razer Deathadder
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Steelseries QCK+ XL Navi Edition (Heavy)

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013 17:05 

Well first you have to learn how a computer actually works, and what programming does for and to a computer. Know how all kinds of languages interface with a system. C++ is a HIGH level language, and to get to the point where you can make games is like 3-5 years of Computer Science, plus tons of personal experience with trail and error. You are basically saying "I am going to design and build a car from scratch, but I haven't learned how to change my oil yet." Even C++ for dummies expects you to have some fundamentals before starting.

Look up the GameMaker language and tutorials first, then get into Visual Basic, then C#, then maybe start learning C++.

Last edited by jero on 24 Oct 2013 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013 17:11 

yeah jero made a good point. I have the c++ for dummies and it expects that you have rudimentary knowledge of c++ already. There are other languages you should start with, they will be easier to learn and after you learn them c++ won't be so terrifying.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013 17:42 

Quote:
Well first you have to learn how a computer actually works, and what programming does for and to a computer. Know how all kinds of languages interface with a system. C++ is a HIGH level language, and to get to the point where you can make games is like 3-5 years of Computer Science, plus tons of personal experience with trail and error. You are basically saying "I am going to design and build a car from scratch, but I haven't learned how to change my oil yet." Even C++ for dummies expects you to have some fundamentals before starting.

Look up the GameMaker language and tutorials first, then get into Visual Basic, then C#, then maybe start learning C++.
What a load of shit. All the studies say it's easiest to learn a new language when you're young. Start out with the best palms - don't let Old Man Winters dim your sparkle.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013 17:57 

Lol old man winters

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013 19:15 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
What a load of shit. All the studies say it's easiest to learn a new language when you're young. Start out with the best palms - don't let Old Man Winters dim your sparkle.
Immersion is the best way to learn a new language. Just start typing c++. Problem solved.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.