Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 04:12

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Fallout: New Vegas
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 12:07 

Fallout: New Vegas is a game with so much to offer that you won't be able to complete the game in a single run. I was pretty amazed at Fallout 3's settings and story. With New Vegas, players of Fallout 3 will feel right at home because it plays so identical to FO3. So, on we go to dissect this game.

System requirements (minimum):

CPU: Intel or AMD dual-core CPU @ 2.0ghz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Storage: 10GB free hard drive space
Video card: NVidia GForce 6 series/ATI 1300XT series

Story: The year is 2281 in a post-Apocalyptic version of Las Vegas renamed New Vegas. Factions have emerged and have begun to fight each other for control over New Vegas. The 2 major factions are: Caesar's Legions; a cult-like faction who reveres their leader Caesar like a god and the NCR (New California Republic); the main governmental body of New Vegas that controls the hope of all New Vegas: Hoover Dam. You play as a courier on his/her way to a nearby town only to be gunned down on your way. However, instead of dying, you wake up in a doctor's house revitalized and ready to serve out vengeance to those that wronged you and that is where you begin your journey of New Vegas.

Gameplay: If you played the previous Fallout game (Fallout 3), then you'll be pleased to know that much hasn't changed in terms of gameplay. The map is HUGE....BALLS ASS HUGE and it'll take you a good while to get from place to place. Also, if you're one of those that loves to explore for every single little thing about the game, then you are seriously in for a treat. There is so much to do in New Vegas and so much to see in this game. There are hundreds of different types of weapons ranging from unarmed weapons like brass knuckles to melee weapons like a baseball bat to all sorts of firearms; big and small (pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, laser pistols and rifles, rocket launcher, Fat Man nuke launcher, etc.) Armor (rather apparel since that's what it's called in game) of all sorts range from basic casual wear to heavy steel played armor. I mean, almost every item can be put in your inventory for future use (empty bottles, wrench, scorpion meat, and much more.)

One of the best things I loved about Fallout 3 was the VATS system. Basically what this does is uses your Action Points (which regenerate) and pauses the game. It then enters a mode where you can select a body part of the enemy to shoot at. Shooting at a certain body part constantly will cripple that body part and there are various results. For instance, if you cripple an enemy's head, then he/she is dazed for a few seconds. If a leg is crippled, then it makes them stumble a little bit and they can't runaway from you but rather gimp away. If an arm is crippled, then the enemy drops his/her weapon and resorts to melee attacks. Finally, hitting the torso really didn't do anything special (as far as I've seen.) You can also play this game as a first person shooter (highly recommended to play this way along with using VATS) or in third person. Playing it in third person is tricky and it means that you won't be able to use your iron sights to aim better at the enemy. Speaking of the enemy, they can also cripple your certain body parts which will also affect you in the same manner.

I was pretty impressed with the A.I in this game during combat because they did whatever they could to kill me all the while trying to survive the fight. If they were too heavily injured, they would fall back and get behind cover. If they noticed that you were crippled, then they'd take that chance to gang up on you and beat you to death. I also noticed some big bugs concerning the A.I. Basically, they got stuck in-place, in corners, and sometimes, never showed up next to me when I entered a new area.

The bestiary list of New Vegas is LONG! So many different enemy types in this game that range from basic human beings to gigantic freak ass scorpions and praying mantis. This is great (to me anyways) because you aren't just stuck fighting one type of enemy; which will make players bored. And their fighting styles also vary. Some giant freak ass mutants will mostly use clubs, swords, bats, and other blunt and holdable object while most human enemies will come at you with guns of all sort. Scorpions and other radioactively mutated creatures will either sting you, bite, spit, or ram into you. In terms of gameplay, New Vegas is just chock full of interesting ways to play the game.

Graphics: The graphics haven't changed much since Fallout 3 (hell, it even uses the same game engine as Fallout 3) so if you've played FO3, then chances are you'll know what everything will look like. There are a few complaints that need to be issued concerning graphics. The biggest gripe I have is the clipping issue. There were several times when I saw a person's weapon stick out of the wall or a door. Not that it's surprising since a lot of games still suffer from clipping issues but I really wish they would've done better QA tests on this game to ensure that clipping wasn't big issue. Getting stuck in certain places was also an issue that I suffered in New Vegas. I'd lolly-gag around jumping here and there and BAM! I'm stuck in some shithole with no way to get out but to restart from the last save. Lastly, when using my fists to fight, there were a few times where I could actually make contact with the enemy from a distance. Uhhhhhh, yeah. It seems like I'm using my fists to throw sharp air bursts at the enemy. It looks a bit awkward but didn't really affect the overall gameplay (it was just that: awkward.)

Sound: New Vegas has terrific and robust sound! Pistols don't sound too weak nor too unrealistic (an example would be like a pistol sounding as loud as a sniper rifle.) Speaking of sniper rifles, they have a nice BOOM! to them (they are my favorite weapons in New Vegas.) Dynamite blasts and rocket launchers have the usual BIG ASS BOOM sound to them. Laser type weapons have the "Pew Pew!" sound to them (they sound MUCH better than when I say "pew pew.") Voice acting is superb and is of excellent quality. They put a good amount of emotion into each character's voice acting (cult members sound very creepy, mutants sound like retarded body builders, Elvis impersonator's got the whole Elvis voice down, etc.) And to just give you an idea of how great the sounds are in New Vegas, I was walking around inside a dark vault looking for a story-specific item and didn't see any signs of hostility. When all of a sudden from my left, comes this big boom of energy blasts from a stealth-equipped mutant. Bitch ass mutant scared the hell outta me and almost made me throw my keyboard off the stand. Yeah...that's how good the sounds are from this game.

Conclusion: After beating the game today, I realized that this game is addicting. It's addicting because of all the content that's in it. It really makes you wonder just what's up ahead. Are there any more weapons that are powerful? What other kinds of mutants, bugs, and humans are there? Where's my next objective? The content of New Vegas just pulls you in and makes you want more and more. And you'll HAVE to play more because from what I've read, there is about 5 different endings to this game. This means that replay value is very high and you'll encounter a much different experience than your first game. So, with this, I give New Vegas a 8.75/10.0.

Pros:

+ Content, content, CONTENT!
+ Killing single living thing for sheer fun has never been better than this.
+ HUUUUUUGE map!
+ Good A.I (when it doesn't start giving you crap)
+ Very high replay value

Cons:

- Clipping issues
- A.I. acts dumb sometimes
- Game stutters heavily for some reason.
- Missions can be repetitive at times
- Traveling on foot takes tooooo much time.

Last edited by DimSumGuy83 on 29 Oct 2010 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 15:51 

you really gotta stop doing this....JUST WAIT TILL YOU ACTUALLY WRITE IT!!!
i always come in here ready to read!

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 18:24 

Lol, yeah, me too. And then I don't ever notice when the review is finished because edits don't bump threads.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 23:59 

Okay okay, that'll be the last time I do that. Anyways, I have posted up the review but due to the fact that New Vegas is such a huge game, I only did a review based on my first run-through.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010 07:57 

It's really impressive how quickly you beat games. I still haven't beaten Mirror's Edge, and I bought that months ago.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010 14:37 

hahaha well you maybe dont get into it much
i beat games fairly quickly too and do extras for whenever im bored which is great
anyways
Quote:
big boom of energy blasts from a stealth-equipped mutant. Bitch ass mutant scared the hell outta me and almost made me throw my keyboard off the stand. Yeah...that's how good the sounds are from this game.
i basically heard your voice while i read this
which made me laugh even harder lol

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010 07:21 

my only grip would be to move a bit faster. I don't want my character running at counter strike speeds, but sometimes its as if I were walking in quicksand. I LOVE THE GAME OMG GOODBYE LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010 11:16 

Quote:
OMG GOODBYE LIFE
Goodbye serialp0rt. I'll miss you. :(

Lol