Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 17:34

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: What is a community 5v5?
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017 21:58 

I would like to clarify what a community 5v5 is due to some miscommunications yesterday.

Community 5v5s are the most competitive thing we do with the community. It is a 5v5 situation where each team needs to try to actually win. Play together as a team, follow what your IGL calls, manage your economy, etc. Use your mic to communicate.

Community 5v5s welcome a wide range of skills. There will be good people on your team, and there will be bad people on your team. Be patient and accepting of those with differing skills.

We'll try to make teams as even as possible, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Please maintain a positive attitude even if the teams are obviously unevenly matched. Sometimes people have good days and bad days, and we can't always account for it. We'll fix it next map!

Please commit to an entire 30 round match.

This is primarily a community outreach program. Try to make a pretty even balance of community and clan members.

If you do not want to do these things, please consider joining us in one of our less competitive activities!

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017 22:15 

Also, it only takes one person to start and the rest of the team often times follow suit.

It is incredibly frustrating to try and play seriously while others want to mess around.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017 22:16 

Quote:
Also, it only takes one person to start and the rest of the team often times follow suit.

It is incredibly frustrating to try and play seriously while others want to mess around.
Yes, and this definitely works both ways. if you see somebody tilting, try to be a positive person and get them back on track. But don't start tilting with them or the whole things go downhill.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017 12:13 

I want to address several issues with this 5v5.

Anubis and I have spent many years, many dollars, and countless hours to get this clan where it is today with the group it has today. We have set guidelines and expectations that you all have agreed to. If you didn't know you agreed to it then that means you haven't read our mission statement and we should be concerned with you as a member first of all.

I was thoroughly embarrassed by how the clan acted. We have community members that quit mid match or complained afterwards. People wouldn't play as a team, they wouldn't communicate, and they wouldn't listen when others TRIED TO COMMUNICATE. If you want to play community casual then go do that. I would never expect our clan members to be the reason that community members had such an unenjoyable time. Not, only was this concerning, but it was absolutely insulting. Everyone of those community members was personally invited by anubis. This reflects bad on her and us as a whole.

If I would have been playing in another clans 5v5 like we held, and I experienced what they experienced, I would have removed every member of that community from my friends list and never gone back. Some of you might see that as an overreaction, but I can assure you I am not the only one that would do this. We created the toxic environment that we claim to be better than.

If we can't play a match or two serious, then why are we even doing this? If we can't suck it up and play a map that we don't normally play, or ANYTHING that didn't go exactly as we want it to, then we have either recruited the wrong people, or we are not being good leaders.

I personally hope this was just everyone having a bad day. This won't happen again. One of two things will happen if this continues. I will stop inviting the problem people from playing EVER again, you won't get an appeal and you won't get to argue about it. This means community or clan members. OR, we will stop doing this altogether completely. I would rather stop doing it than put more black eyes on our community. We are working really hard to reach out to these people and get them to be part of our community. When we say we are different then we need to show we are different.

I know this comes across as kind of harsh, but I am frankly pretty pissed off. I had a terrible experience last night, but I kept my mouth shut and continued pushing through. I expect other to do the same.

I'll get over this. I don't hold grudges. I don't need to call any person out. You know if you were a problem. If you are unsure feel free to ask me. Lets do better please. Lets set the better examples.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017 15:30 

I agree with everything said in this post, however i want to also note one more thing, I feel like we need a "loud" voice to get the 100% attention of everyone because when Amaroq was picking out suggestions for maps, i was half listening and im 100 percent sure there were side conversations either in chat or in mumble so i really did not know what was going on and i thought when people kept saying italy, i thought it was a joke so Alimo and myself were thrown off by this decision, which in the end, i was fine with, i wasn't listening so i could not vote which in the end was my fault but i do feel like we need someone to grab everyone's attention before we start voting on a map switch.

(Note that i will probably edit this reply in the future since there were more things i wanted to talk about regarding the 5v5 on saturday 3/25/2017, but i do not remember what they were.)

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017 15:40 

No, you don't need a "loud voice" - you need enough respect and personal control to stop having a side conversation when the person who organized the event is organizing the event. I asked at least four, probably more times if people wanted a different map. I even specified that it was winning and it wasn't a joke and that if people didn't want to play it, they needed to step up and say something. At some point in your life you have to take responsibility for yourself and stop blaming everybody else when you can't follow through with basic expectations of respect and it ends up biting you in the butt. This is exactly the kind of attitude that has brought us to discuss a hard age limit many times in the past (although, as an entertaining side note, the fact that it often comes from people who are 18 or older is also why it's never been put into place). We were running a scheduled community event. It wasn't something that was sprung on you at a particular moment and you didn't have time to prepare. It's something I started putting lots of time into because you guys asked for it. The absolute very least you can do is have enough respect for the event to listen to the damn event organizer when they're talking. If you had done that we wouldn't have had a game that literally went 12-0 and then 0-16 the other direction when a sub went in because you guys interrupted me and shut me down when I was trying to pick teams; you wouldn't have had to play on Italy because you guys wouldn't listen long enough to vote for a fucking map you wanted; and half the community wouldn't have been aggravated by the poor quality of the event because nobody would listen to an IGL for more than half of freeze time.

It's a fucking basic RESPECT problem. To completely disregard what the event organizer is saying and simultaneously make your clan look like a bunch of childish yahoos has absolute nothing to do with the volume of my voice.

And to be fair to the content of your post, I wasn't even talking - I was typing in the server. It wouldn't have mattered if you were blaring dubstep in your headphones at the time with mumble, discord, and the server muted. You could have seen the map vote.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017 15:45 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
I disagree, hyp. Ignoring Amaroq isn't a voice volume issue, it's a lack of respect, in my opinion. Why can't you be the loud voice? That is part of this whole debacle; members not being responsible.

Individually, all members need to be the person to take initiative. Nobody is exempt from that.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017 16:00 

Anubis hit the nail on the head here. Its a respect thing. I am not saying any of you are disrespecting her on purpose. However, you have to look at it from our position. We set this thing up regularly. Get people to come play. Provide the place. Attempt to organize it in a way that is the most fun way possible for everyone, but can't even get people to listen to us speak.

She is setting everything up, so when she talks, you should realize that you need to stop. You need to listen. Respond and ask questions accordingly. Pay attention so people don't have to keep repeating things they are saying.

If the person running things has their mic set too low, or you can't hear them, then that should be addressed before things get started or at the very least right at the beginning. Tell them you can't hear them and either you turn your sound up or they will boost their mic.

Again, I know what I posted was posted with emotion involved, but I just want everyone to take it as serious as anubis and I are taking it. I don't want anyone gone, or punished, I just want everyone to remember what we are doing and why we are doing it. Lets try to just have a better 5v5 next saturday and move on like this didn't happen.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017 16:46 

Yea I noticed some people werent paying attention to the "setting up" as in map votes and team selection. I tried to bring it to text chat with concise wording and all caps.

We spent a good 10 minutes on just selecting teams and deciding a map. Even after that people were not happy with the team not the map.