Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 04:35

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: FML
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017 18:58 

I fucked my car this morning... windshield fogged up on the outside and sun glared rendering the entire windshield useless. Tried slowly to move on the side of the highway to clear the windshield ended up busting into the sidewalk and scratching a light pole. Totaled the wheel, axle, and the bent the control arm. Possibly even the strut too. Plus the side skirt and fender. So Im gonna be real lucky if this won't cost me an arm and a leg. Now I gotta take rides to get to school for a bit.

Post subject: Re: FML
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017 19:04 

Quote:
I fucked my car this morning...
What...
Quote:
windshield fogged up on the outside and sun glared rendering the entire windshield useless. Tried slowly to move on the side of the highway to clear the windshield ended up busting into the sidewalk and scratching a light pole. Totaled the wheel, axle, and the bent the control arm. Possibly even the strut too. Plus the side skirt and fender. So Im gonna be real lucky if this won't cost me an arm and a leg. Now I gotta take rides to get to school for a bit.
Oh.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017 19:14 

Oh man that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017 20:54 

Got the quote from the mechanic. Its not pretty. And that doesn't include body work.
Rn looking at uber rates to get me home from class tomorrow.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017 23:17 

Yeah, sorry man, that really blows. I am always afraid something like that will happen to me.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 06:59 

Quote:
Got the quote from the mechanic. Its not pretty. And that doesn't include body work.
Rn looking at uber rates to get me home from class tomorrow.
Do you not have insurance?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 11:11 

I do but my parents and i decided not to claim it. It'll cost us more just because i was only added to their insurance few months ago even though ive been driving for a couple of years now. And the mechanic suggested we don't claim it. The mechanic bill won't kill us but it is a couple of thousand :/

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 11:27 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
I'm not sure if there's hyperbole here or not.

Your mechanic quoted you a few thousand, PLUS bodywork, and they told you not to claim it through insurance? Maybe I'm just confused. I don't see how when you get insurance matters on the rate change from a claim.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 11:28 

Quote:
i was only added to their insurance few months ago even though ive been driving for a couple of years now
umm...

Anyway, it is practically totaled or no? Are ya'll looking at repairing it or going for a used replacement?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 12:46 

Quote:
I'm not sure if there's hyperbole here or not.

Your mechanic quoted you a few thousand, PLUS bodywork, and they told you not to claim it through insurance? Maybe I'm just confused. I don't see how when you get insurance matters on the rate change from a claim.
Some insurance companies won't give accident forgiveness unless you've established a history of no claims. If you've been on the insurance for too little, they might not give accident forgiveness.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 12:49 

Quote:
Quote:
i was only added to their insurance few months ago even though ive been driving for a couple of years now
umm...

Anyway, it is practically totaled or no? Are ya'll looking at repairing it or going for a used replacement?
It probably is totaled. That's probably another reason not to make a claim. No sense paying the deductible and for a rate increase if they also won't pay the full price of the repairs. At that point it really would be cheaper to just pay it all.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 16:41 

It's not totalled by any means. From the outside it actually looks fine. https://i.imgur.com/YZmOvdd.jpg But the car wont go anywhere without a new control arm, axil and a wheel with a new pressure sensor since those were broken and or badly bent. Most of the hit came from under the right side of the car so luckily the engine wasnt hit and airbags didnt go off. Unfortunately I didn't get to get any pictures from behind the wheel but its pretty bad.
I may or may not have exaggerated a tiny bit since this car has never been in any major accidents and its the first time I damaged my car I was pretty mad at myself and the fact that I didn't have much to work with to not.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 16:52 

I drive that ford focus also so coolio ye?

"Totaled" essentially means that the car is worth less than what the repair costs would be. So if your car bluebooks around 8K (average ford focus MKIII) and repairs are about there, it may be easier to consider the car totaled.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 18:28 

Quote:
I drive that ford focus also so coolio ye?

"Totaled" essentially means that the car is worth less than what the repair costs would be. So if your car bluebooks around 8K (average ford focus MKIII) and repairs are about there, it may be easier to consider the car totaled.
Really they use NADA, but his car has a NADA rating around 4k at the lowest, and he only has (at most, based on his post) a 2k bill, so his statement was accurate. "Not totalled by any means".

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 18:40 

I don't understands goat's response? Was someone confused by what totaled meant, cause I thought everyone was on the same page in this thread.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017 10:51 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
I think there was just some confusion.
Quote:
Totaled the wheel, axle, and the bent the control arm.
I see it now, but I also thought that the whole car was totalled.

Also, I forget that you U.S. citizens have fucking retarded insurance laws. In Canada, you physically cannot get insurance that is less than $1,000,000 liability. Yes, $1 million. The cost from $1,000,000 to $2,000,000 in liability is like $3 per month. Every insurance company I've ever had offers accident forgiveness, even on my first car with 4 speeding tickets and an at fault collision on my record, they still offered it to me at 21. You don't need to have your own car covered here, insurance is basically for their car and their person.

My last insurance I had was $112 per month ($1344 per year) for $2,000,000 liability, accident forgiveness, $300 at fault collision deductible, $0 not at fault collision deductible, $300 comprehensive deductible, and a bunch of other random little things.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017 17:41 

ah I see now.