More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 17:39

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017 15:58 

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017 17:22 

wtf

is this real?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017 17:36 

Apparently coming out for the holiday season. Requires you buy an actual smart door knob which comes with a camera to watch the delivery guy, because why not.

Walmart wants to do the same thing with grocery orders, and go another step by actually loading them into your fridge :V

What the fuck

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017 17:50 

The idea of having an amazon camera in my house potentially recording me at all times gives me the heebie jeebies.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017 18:05 

so much nope about all that. I wouldn't trust a amazon employee.....who the fuck would trust a walmart employee. I hope you get your shit stolen if you let walmart into your house. YOU literally deserve it.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017 18:06 

Amazon's in-home delivery is not even the worst. Wallmart's "straight-to-fridge" delivery is absolutely hilarious. From both security and customer laziness standpoint. Idk I can't take it seriously it's just too funny. Funny thing is no matter if and how much this fails, there will be at least one stupid person who will buy this.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017 20:27 

I surprisingly for once really dislike an Amazon decision.

I never thought that would happen.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017 22:38 

Quote:
I surprisingly for once really dislike an Amazon decision.

I never thought that would happen.
they took avatar the last airbender off of prime video. terrible company

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017 07:01 

LOL ginger

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017 17:47 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
I think you guys are missing that it isn't marketed to you. It's marketed towards cities like where I live. This is the tech city of Canada. I could make bets on the number of people that will flock to this. I don't think it's a bad idea. It is fucking impossible for me to get an amazon package when I want it. Especially when it's time sensitive. They won't leave it at my door. Ever. If I'm not home to receive it, it gets processed again back into the shipping company to be dropped off at a local pickup point. It's literally a 5 minute drive to the pickup point but I need to wait an extra 2-3 business days before it gets there.

I have used smart doors before. I love it. I used it when I was cleaning houses with my mom. They would pay us to clean their house, but if they aren't home then they have to leave their key somewhere. OR, they can create a 1 time use door code that he sends us. Each week its a different code. If you accidentally lock yourself out, you're shit out of luck. It's awesome.

Let's talk about the grocery thing too. Would I use it? Likely not. But I'm a prime candidate for it. I spend like $600 per month on food. I fall to the convenience of eating out. A few months ago I did a no eating out challenge, and it cost me like $50 per week in food. That's $400 wasted. And before anybody makes the argument about what is and isn't a waste of money, I feel like it is a waste. I am lazy after work, so I spend $15-$20 on some dinner. AND I'm still hungry afterwards. Imagine if I could just order food to my door so when I get home I can quickly make some pasta or a sandwich or something easy like that. If I had those things at home, I would make it, but I usually only have food that I know won't go bad. And often, bread goes moldy, meat goes rotten, and it becomes waste.

This mindset of people stealing from you... It's archaic. This is the same mindset people had when debit cards came out. That you'd be a damn fool to have your hard earned money floating around in no mans land. That ANYBODY could take your card and steal your money. You deserve it if you have a debit card!

Walmart is the company with the largest revenue in the world. If Walmart were a country, its sales would rank it 28th in the world in GDP. I would hardly consider it worrisome to let a Walmart employee into your house. It isn't like your every day cashier is going to be entering homes. I would imagine they would open new warehouses to handle this delivery service. The groceries you would get through delivery wouldn't be the same things sitting in their stores. That would be insanely inefficient, and you don't become what Walmart is by being inefficient.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017 20:08 

That's where you communists differ from us American capitalists. Up yonder you snow mexicans invite these strangers into your house because "everything is equal" while down here we always have our guns at the ready just for stuff like this.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017 20:18 

I didn't *miss* the fact that it wasn't marketed toward me. I verbalized the reasons why I knew it wasn't marketed toward me.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017 20:30 

smart door means a hackable door. whether you trust amazon or not, you cant change that. when I get my own house I will have a sturdy lock, a loud alarm, a large dog, and a glock 19.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017 20:56 

To be fair, a pin and tumbler lock is exceptionally easy to open.

I wonder if there is a psychological difference.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017 20:59 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
smart door means a hackable door. whether you trust amazon or not, you cant change that. when I get my own house I will have a sturdy lock, a loud alarm, a large dog, and a glock 19.
I'm not sure if this is facetious or serious, but I'm going to assume it's serious. A smart phone is hackable. A keyless car is hackable. Your computer is hackable. Everything is pretty much hackable to somebody who REALLY wants in. A lock on your door isn't real security anyway. Break the door down. Break a window. There's many ways into a house. Just like hacking (less the expertise), if somebody wants into your house, nothing will stop them. Maybe your guns, but that's as american as it gets. What if they have bigger guns?

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017 02:58 

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is facetious or serious, but I'm going to assume it's serious. A smart phone is hackable. A keyless car is hackable. Your computer is hackable. Everything is pretty much hackable to somebody who REALLY wants in. A lock on your door isn't real security anyway. Break the door down. Break a window. There's many ways into a house. Just like hacking (less the expertise), if somebody wants into your house, nothing will stop them. Maybe your guns, but that's as american as it gets. What if they have bigger guns?
eh it was a bit of both. but now we are talking about the question of "how much security are you willing to trade for convenience" Do i put bars on the windows for security, or do i keep them off because it looks nicer? tbh it might actually be a safer lock for a short amount of time before a hack comes out. but im just imagining a year after it comes out when a script kiddie can pay $5 in bitcoin on the dark web to put an app on their smartphone that lets them unlock any door in america. As Amaroq mentioned deadbolts are really easy to break into that video demonstraights it pretty well. so really most of us can already have our houses broken into by someone who pays $16 to unlock any door in america.
Quote:
To be fair, a pin and tumbler lock is exceptionally easy to open.

I wonder if there is a psychological difference.
psychological difference between what?

in my first post the "sturdy lock" i wanted wasn't a deadbolt it was one of those keypad locks businesses have. that and a good dog are probably more than enough for most burgers (i know i typed burgers im gonna leave it).

P.S. we haven't had a really good shitpost in a couple of days anyone got any ideas?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017 06:43 

Psychological difference between physically picking a lock and breaching a smart lock. In general, we treat digital crimes as less serious. See: cyber bullying vs IRL harassment; physically barring entry into a building vs ddos attacks; etc. Would a criminal feel more comfortable going into somebody's house if they have a smart lock, even if it's equally easy to breach?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017 09:12 

Quote:
Would a criminal feel more comfortable going into somebody's house if they have a smart lock, even if it's equally easy to breach?
obviously i don't know enough to say definitively, but i think their would be, kind of like how someone might act tough and talk shit even when the police have guns, but the second you bring out a German shepherd they get scared. And (at least to me) revolvers look more threatening than pistols with a magazine.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017 22:11 

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 13:03 

Now this is something I would be interested in about a month when finals hit x)