Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 09:42

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Doom 2: Hell on Earth
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011 21:29 

Yes folks, you read it right. This time, I'm going to be doing a review on what started it all for me and as well as most FPS players. During the Steam Holiday sales, a lot of games and game packs were sold at ridiculously cheap prices. Well, one of the game packs I purchased was the Doom series (which comprises of all the Doom games currently out.) Now, it's time for me do a review to one of FPS gaming history's masterpieces.

Requirements:

CPU: Come on, it's a game from 1994. Any processor out today will play this game.
Memory: Uhhhhhh...I have no idea how much is needed but I'm pretty sure you don't need too much
Graphics: Pick up a graphics card that's around $20 today. Hell, the CPU alone will play this game
Storage: A measly 15 MB

Story:

From what I know, Doom 2: Hell on Earth is the continuation of a Marine who battled the minions of Hell back on Mars. This time, the gateway between Mars and Earth has been unleashed and the minions have decimated all of Earth and have turned it into their bastion. You, who have battled and won against these same minions, return to Earth to put an end to the nightmare.

Gameplay:

Seriously, this was the game that raised the popularity of FPS games to extraordinary heights. Wolfenstein was released before the Doom games but it was Doom that really helped spawn all the FPS games we see today. The gameplay is no different from any other FPS game that we have played. Although not as advanced as today's games like Call of Duty, Counterstrike, Half-Life, and so forth; Doom and Doom 2 kept it simple, fast-paced, and very frentic.

Sound:

Great for a game from 1994. While not as realistic nor advanced in quality like today, the sounds do match the game's look and feel. To be honest, if they really did do a change in sounds to make it feel more modern, I'd be extremely disappointed.

Misc:

The only nagging thing I could find with this game is the fact that if you run the game via Steam, then the controls are the classic-ass controls (the arrow keys are for movement and turning, page up and page down helped with looking up and down, strafing was bound to the "greater than" and "less than" keys.) While some people wouldn't mind this, I couldn't play it with these classic controls. I'm so used to my mouse for looking and the WASD keys for moving + strafing that I had to do some digging to find a source port (Doomsday) to help with giving me "my" controls. That's my only nagging bit for this game...so far.

Conclusion:

While this review was a bit short, I thought it'd be both humorous and interesting to see the game that paved the way for me in terms of FPS gaming. After playing this game using the Doomsday port, I can honestly say that classics like this are truly better than most games out today. Doom 2 is still an amazing game and a fun to play and I highly recommend buying it as well as the 1st Doom if you're a fan of FPS shooters. It truly deserves to be in any FPS fan's Steam library and I give this game a 9.5/10.0! Later on tonight, I shall upload a clip of me playing Doom 2 to help bring back the memories. :mrgreen:

Pros:

+ Classic FPS gaming
+ Nothing like a frentic, fast-paced battle with huge ass hellspawns
+ Simple to play
+ Looks great even if it's almost 2 decades old
+ Brings back great childhood memories

Cons:

- Had to use a separate port to get it to my liking

[youtube][/youtube]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 20:10 

its funny how every time we go back and play these classic games, we often come away thinking to ourselves...Man those graphics really sucked, but the GAMEPLAY WAS AWESOME!!!! I miss the simplistic gameplay that was just endless fun.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011 12:08 

Hell yeah! That's how I was when I started playing Doom 2. When I first tried playing it right after purchasing it via Steam, I couldn't stand looking at the graphics (that and the control scheme wasn't to my liking.) However, as I got my controls fixed, I dove more and more into this game and finally came to the conclusion that its simplistic nature beat out most games out today in terms of gameplay.