Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 08:21

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Fraps in-game recorder
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010 17:15 

Fraps is a very nice piece of software for the gamer that wants to post up in-game tutorials or just to show off how they accomplished a mission or whatever in a game. Anyways, whatever the reason may be, Fraps records everything that is happening on your monitor and puts it in a VERY BIG .avi video format. It also records sound so if you have a microphone, you can add voice documentary to your recordings. The only complaints that I have about Fraps are: A) recording sizes are very big (1 minute recording is approximately 1GB in size) and B) it records EVERYTHING so if you answer a Steam message, that'll get recorded. The picture quality in the recordings are so much better than doing a .dem file from CZ and the files themselves are easier to find (you can designate which folder will house the recordings.) Fraps also acts as a camera and creates pictures when needed. For more information on how to get Fraps or how to use it, PM me via the forum or Steam.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010 17:58 

Windows Media encoder has a screen record function, too. The plus side is that Windows Media Encoder is free. The downside is that it uses a lot more resources than Fraps when it's screen recording.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010 22:08 

Ah, that's something I forgot to mention. Fraps does use a lot of resources from your computer but I don't know how it compares to Windows Media Encoder for screen recording. Windows Media Encoder is one of the most user-friendly video encoders I've used but for some reason, it doesn't want to convert my video files to .wma files. I dunno what's up with it but I will say it's a great product that's free for those of you that are into video editing and whatnot.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010 07:11 

I will have to look into these programs, we are wanting to make some "music video" type things, and I have been wanting to make some training videos as well.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010 12:59 

Sorry to those that I have tried sending fraps to. Apparently yahoo mail said that the attachment was illegal and failed to go through. If you are still interested in wanting fraps, let me know and I will try to use an alternative email.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010 02:41 

doesnt fraps mess with your fps or makes you laggy or choppy when recording?
for some reason i remember something like that....
i just want to know that cuz if it doesnt ima just download it for sure cuz i love recording myself play lol

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010 11:30 

Quote:
doesnt fraps mess with your fps or makes you laggy or choppy when recording?
for some reason i remember something like that....
i just want to know that cuz if it doesnt ima just download it for sure cuz i love recording myself play lol
It might if your system resources can't handle both fraps and the game, but it's not necessarily supposed to make you laggy.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010 13:35 

What you see while playing a game and having Fraps record will be much different in the recording video. If you set Fraps to record at 60 frames per second then it'll record the entire video at 60 frames per second UNLESS your hardware can't handle that much load. An example would be something like this: let's say you're in a server that allows 500 frames per second (insert smart ass Pres remark) and Fraps is telling you that your system is running at the max speed of 500 fps. Fraps will cut the speed down to about 30% of 500, maybe a bit more depending on what's happening on screen. When you're finished recording and you play the video, that recording will be at a constant 60 frames per second. Now in the event that you're in a server that allows a max speed of 100 fps. Well in this case, fraps will cut your speed down to 30% of 100 AND your recording will be at 30 frames per second because, well, your system is at full load and can't make up the difference.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010 23:02 

ahhhh ok thank you for clearing that up :D

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010 12:18 

Darn Fraps lag for me. =[

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010 12:49 

Try setting frap's recording size to half screen instead of recording in full screen. That should help relieve some stress on your system and make your game less laggy.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010 06:14 

Hey guys(new guy) , after reading your comments id like to reply.
Im recordning for a few mounths now and i want to give you guys my opinion.
Im recording with 60 fps on halv creen with frap 3.0.
Im recording with halfv screen because full screen gives you lag and dubbel the file size.
When im recording myself im dont have much lag(still good to play).
When im recording other people its going perfectly even with full screen(no loss).
Sure full screen is better video quality but if you want to put your video on you tube its still gonna give you even with halv screen the 720 p and 1080 p option.
For people that have lag problems:lower fps and halv screen
Or record with demo,play the demo and then record with frap(any setting) over it.
Demo dont gives you lag so you can play en record(smalll size) and after that you can record your part with frap.
I already made i video of the server i play in(720 p and 1080 p).
I just heard that there are some issues between some people so i rather not put the video in for view(respect).
I dont know if this will help you guys but good luck recording Spielbergs =)

Mr Untouchable

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010 17:29 

yea thats how i used to do it, i would just record the demos i made
and thats a great idea
never occurred to me to record in half screen :\
thanks

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010 17:39 

The half-screen recording option is great but I like to make HD-quality videos for my Youtube account. The problem also is that if I record in half-screen and then convert to a different format to shrink the size and convert to a higher resolution, I lose a noticeable amount of quality in my recordings. But for a game like CZ, I'm happy to record at full screen. Crysis, however, I have to do a half-screen recording. So for me, it all comes down to which game I'm recording.