Absurd Minds

More than 100 years without a motto.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:33

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Professional Basketball
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012 00:10 

Now, let me preface this by saying:

I am not a sports person. I enjoy playing sports, I love basketball, I was definitely good enough to play at the college level. I just hate sitting around in a stuffy living room with fat old men watching other people do something I enjoy. So I never watched sports until serial came along.

But I must say, in my experience, professional basketball players are the laziest, sloppiest professionals I have ever seen in any profession.

I watched the OKC-Miami game today. At one point, it was a 4-on-2 for Oklahoma (because one Heat guy had fallen and apparently basketball players are incapable of standing back up on their own - they need at least two teammates to help them out; and the other two were down on their end playing patty cake or circle jerking or something like that), and the Oklahoma dudes just sauntered down slowly and didn't even try to take advantage of the huge numbers advantage.

I couldn't count on both hands and feet the number of offensive rebounds that a team got because nobody ever boxes out anybody. Doesn't matter how close or how far away from the basket. When the shot goes up, the defensive team just turns and stares with a nice "durrr" look on their faces. Of course, it usually doesn't matter, because once the shot goes up the offensive team is already jogging back to defense (heaven forbid anybody run), so there is almost no need to box out anyway.

These are professional basketball players, and yet they have less control over their bodies than 3rd-graders. They travel so often I don't know why they don't just call the sport football. Quit pretending that your'e supposed to dribble, because nobody does anyway. And apparently once you become professional you completely lose your ability to maintain your control that they actually have to give you an extra foul. It's only 8 minutes longer than a college game. Surely these professionals can maintain their composure and control enough that they don't need a whole extra foul.

It's really pathetic. I don't understand how people watch professional basketball. I can understand college. They actually try. They actually care. But I'd rather watch the high school freshman girls basketball team - at least they would hustle, and probably travel less.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012 06:07 

Location: T͚̜͙͚̠̦ͬͧ̐ͬĥ͙͉͙̥̹̝͖ͮ̒̒̋ͤ̄eͭͫͭ ̥̤͔̽ͥ͐ͦͦͣỊ̒̎n̖͚̘͇̬̟te̻̥͇̳̲̲͊̂͆ͩr̝̯̦̼͔̖̻̽n͙ͬ͆̎e͔̰͎ͩ͋̀̚t̮̞͎̓ͨ́
Quote:
I just hate sitting around in a stuffy living with fat old men watching other people do something I enjoy. So I never watched sports until serial came along.

I am the same. Now get away from my man.

Honey Badgers have very tough skin. The skin is very thick and rubbery, which is almost impervious to arrow and spears. Even a blow from machete can't scratch the skin. The skin protects them from bites.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012 13:37 

I love watching the level of talent they have. Its the refs fault that they don't call the penalties and fouls tighter. Yes, I understand the level of frustration for having to watch "professionals" at the top of their game making mistakes that shouldn't be made after middle school. Sometimes I feel like I am watching an All-star game because they will completely forget basketball fundamentals and do something stupid.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012 13:39 

I don't see talent. They don't even have the talent required to keep from traveling. They have shooting talent (which they try to show off by dribbling the ball to the three point line and shooting two seconds into the shot clock instead of running a play or even passing the ball) and that's about it.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012 13:58 

this playoff series has been especially bad too. the past couple of years it was much much better. Suddenly they get a set or shitty refs in and everyone forgets how to play and manage the game. I think others that enjoy NBA will agree on that one. Your rant is so true though.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012 14:14 

Could be. This is, after all, the first NBA series I've ever watched.