Some of you may remember Jero's post about Razer malware
. In addition to this, I had to RMA my mouse I bought less than a year ago. About a week ago, I sent in the RMA request. They told me that since I was RMAing it, I could just cut the cord on the mouse, take a picture of it (with the serial number plainly visible), and they could just send me a new one. I could do this in lieu of mailing it in, for quicker service. Today I got an email saying I had to mail in the mouse with its cut cord. So I have to pay shipping to return a mouse that clearly doesn't work anymore, and probably won't get it until two weeks after initially RMAing it.
Long story short, I'll probably be staying away from razer products from now on.